PDA

View Full Version : Hack Wilson Bat

GoTigers
08-10-2007, 02:54 PM
http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z169/gotigers_02/?action=view&current=HACK-1.jpgHello,
I'm new to this website and am looking for information on Game Used Hack Wilson Bat's. I recently bought a bat that has the correct H&B marking to be placed no later than 1929. I am aware that this places the bat near the beginning of Hack's career. The bat is cracked and does have a "H" carved in the knob. There also appears to be a "J" carved on the end of the barrel. I'm not sure what to look for as far as Hack's specs (weight, length, etc.) and would be greatfull for any information. Also, if this is not game used does anyone have info. as to how much this would be worth, and if it is a rare bat.
Also, There is some old tape on the handle... How can I remove this and the Residue?
Thanks..

http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z169/gotigers_02/?action=view&current=HACK-1.jpg

MGHProductions
08-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Hi.
If you post pictures of the bat I'm sure we could help you out better. If game used its worth several thousand and if its a store bat its worth several hundred.

Wilson's bat taper down to a very thin handle and a large knob.
There is currently one available on MEARS website if you want a photo comparision. Probably 35-36 inches.

As far as removing tape residue, if its a gamer, I would leave it alone unless it detracts from the bats appearance. I use lighter fluid on a paper towel and find that removes tape pretty well and I immediately wipe the bat down with lemon oil.

If you email me or post pictures I'm sure we can give your more info.

Matt
Bub13@aol.com

scottanservitz
08-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Gotigers,
From Louisville slugger documents here are Hack's specs:
1925 - length (not specified) weight (38-40 oz.)
1926 - lengtht (not specified) straight handle (36 oz.) order from 01/30/26 (.5 in. longer) (36 oz.) also 01/30/26 shave a little near knob (36 oz.)
1927 - length (not specified) straight handle (38 oz.) 03/16/27 length (not specified) (36 oz.)
1928 - length (not specified) handle straight to knob (36-37 oz.) 02/04/28 of Kren model (37.5 oz.) 06/19/28 lenght (not specified) (36-37 oz.)
1929 - length (not specified) (36 oz.) (36 oz. new finish) (37 oz.) (37 oz. new finish) (37 oz. world series bats)

Hopefully I got that right. So his lengths were not specified, but the weights are all documented. So going to Mears site and getting a length and weighing your bat will help in determing what you have. Hope this helps.
Scott

GoTigers
08-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Thanks for all your help... I'm having trouble attaching files in the thread, I can email them if you like. I'll try to weigh the bat in the morning and let you know what i find out..

GoTigers
08-10-2007, 10:22 PM
I finally got the picture to attach.. (See Below) Let me know your opinions, and if any additional info or pictures are needed I can provide them... Thanks again

GoTigers
08-11-2007, 09:59 AM
If I were to move on with authentication for the bat. What are the benifits / differences between Meara and PSA/DNA... Which is preferred? They both seem to have a good reputation.