PDA

View Full Version : proud papa moment...children & collecting

jonincleve
08-10-2007, 06:41 AM
sorry to interrupt our game used collecting hobby. amid michael vick dogfighting and barry bonds steroid issues, i bring you a very proud papa moment. instead of adopting a son, my wife and i adopted a daughter because that was what was meant to be. i think all men want a son to play catch with and have that field of dreams moment. anuway before going to national last week i came up stairs wearing my buddy bell rockies jersey. my 2 1/2 year old daughter was saying 'papa wearing baseball jersey just like grady size E more' and she wanted to try it on. so now lou lampson can grade this as having official game used cupcake stains, national fan worn puckering. the even better moment was coming home on sunday from the national and sitting down with my daughter opening up 2007 topps heritage packs. she was 'helping' me open the packs while i sorted. the best part was wednesday when i came home from work she WANTED to help papa sort baseball cards. so i got some 90's junk and let her go to town. with grady sizemore and brady quinn in cleveland maybe i can get her and my wife interested in collecting :) i know this post was not game used related, just wanted to spread some good around nba point shaving refs, etc... once i have some pictures i want to start a post showing what i bought at the national. sizemore minor league bat, bob wickman yankees jersey, etc...

take care and enjoy your hobby
john

jon_8_us
08-10-2007, 07:24 AM
That is fantastic!
jon

TNTtoys
08-10-2007, 09:53 AM
John,

Great story and great photos. My daughter, now 6, took an interest in baseball last year, and I have since taken her to a handful of ballgames. I think I get plenty more out of them than she does, but having something special to bring the two of us together is nice. That thing being baseball makes it even sweeter.
Now, my son is another story. He's a little too young to understand baseball...but that's not stopping me one bit. Here he is at 3 weeks old. A little too small to wear his big sister's size 4T Mike Piazza jersey, but again, I don't take "no" for an answer too easily...

Nick

jonincleve
08-10-2007, 10:26 AM
nick, lou lampson wants to know if mike piazza wore 4t in 2001 or 2002 and if the shirt code is 6200 or 0062. he now has a photo match making it 8001 photos in his library :) on a serious note you can never start to early. great picture of your son. what if he becomes a yankee fan? my dad is from outside of pittsburgh and is a steelers fan but moved to cleveland. i became a browns fan around 14-15, don't know if i am forgiven yet or not. thank you for posting.

take care
john

ChrisCavalier
08-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Hey John,

That is a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing some of the joys that can come through this hobby. Btw, your daughter is beautiful and, judging from her smile, she seems to have a great disposition. I'm sure you are proud parents and, after meeting you at the National, I'd wager your daughter is thrilled to have you for a Dad as well.

Sincerely,
Chris

skipcareyisfat
08-10-2007, 10:43 AM
great picture of your son. what if he becomes a yankee fan?

Great photos guys! On a more serious note, Nick, what happens if he grows up to be a Braves fan? If that happens, I see much success and happiness headed his way! :D :D :D :D

3arod13
08-10-2007, 10:45 AM
nick, lou lampson wants to know if mike piazza wore 4t in 2001 or 2002 and if the shirt code is 6200 or 0062. he now has a photo match making it 8001 photos in his library :) on a serious note you can never start to early. great picture of your son. what if he becomes a yankee fan? my dad is from outside of pittsburgh and is a steelers fan but moved to cleveland. i became a browns fan around 14-15, don't know if i am forgiven yet or not. thank you for posting.

take care
john

John,

Couldn't stop laughing...this is hilarious

TNTtoys
08-10-2007, 12:36 PM

take care
john

I don't think that it would be possible for anyone living in my house to grow up liking the Yankees. Even the 6-year-old trashes them!!! (you think they may have been tainted from early on??? :p )

Seriously, I think the bigger argument in my home is not whether or not the jersey is authentic, but what possessed me to buy a black Mike Piazza jersey for my daughter (who was 3 at the time). Course, I couldn't possibly be taking this out of contaxt because I can still remember my wife saying to me "What possessed you to buy a Mike Piazza Mets jersey for your daughter?????"

TNTtoys
08-10-2007, 12:41 PM
Great photos guys! On a more serious note, Nick, what happens if he grows up to be a Braves fan? If that happens, I see much success and happiness headed his way! :D :D :D :D

On a serious note, if he becomes a Braves fan, he would have to be the "bravest" member of the family -- because he would take a shellacking on a daily basis!

But I do need to critique your statement (of course, from a strictly objective point of view :rolleyes: )...

1. As much success as Braves fans are having this year (including against my Mets), they are still in 2nd place.
2. As much success as they had during their 13 year run at the top of the division, this only amounted to 1 championship.

skipcareyisfat
08-10-2007, 01:30 PM
1. As much success as Braves fans are having this year (including against my Mets), they are still in 2nd place.

Yep, it's been tight all year. Seems like they've streaked in similar directions all season long. I'm a little worried about Philly though right now. We need to take that series this weekend.

2. As much success as they had during their 13 year run at the top of the division, this only amounted to 1 championship.

...and it blows, big time. I hate saying this but last year was almost a relief because we didn't have to worry about another one-and-done postseason series. Arghh!! :mad: :mad: ;)

-Jason

jonincleve
08-10-2007, 01:30 PM
keep me away from sharp instruments while i say this....the braves only championship was against my cleveland indians....oh the humanity. or as nancy kerrigan would say...why...why me...why.....:eek:

rob...any cubs comment?:)

take care
john

camarokids
08-13-2007, 03:53 PM
On a serious note, if he becomes a Braves fan, he would have to be the "bravest" member of the family -- because he would take a shellacking on a daily basis!

But I do need to critique your statement (of course, from a strictly objective point of view :rolleyes: )...

My dad is and has been a big sports fan most of his life. He's a Cubs fan (poor guy) . I can thank my dad for my love of sports and collecting baseball stuff.

I grew up a Braves fan (thanks to TBS). My son and I have season tickets for the Devil Rays . Most nights my son would rather stay at home and play with his toys than go to the games , he just turned three . So I bribe him to go with getting ice cream at the stadium , he knows where every ice cream stand is in the place :). It is very hard to root for a team that is NOT doing all they can do to win . Playing for the future sucks .

It sucks that the Braves choked in 1996 (and other years) and came away w/ only ONE WS Championship . But I was happy they won it all in 1995 .

Talk about a stressful week , watching the 1995 series, I don't know what I would've done if they had lost .

A lot of my childhood memories are related to baseball one way or another !