PDA

View Full Version : Gorman Thomas Game Used World Series Bat

SkubeBats
08-09-2007, 05:30 PM
Hello,
I see that Zane Burns is selling a bat he calls a Gorman Thomas World Series bat. About 1 year ago I was talking to Vince Malta and he said he had Gorman Thomas game used world series bat that he was selling for $250.00. I told him I would like to buy this bat, and he told me he never seen a world series bat with these kind of markings before. Instead of being above or below the player name it has 1982 world series between lable in middle of bat and the players name. He said he wanted to look into this bat more with John Taube, and after about a month we got talking about the bat again. At that time him, and Taube came up with this answer that the bat was a Gorman Thomas bat but the markings in the middle that say 1982 world series were put on there at a different time then the rest of the markings on the bat. So vince told me that this bat wasn't a game used world series bat. He said he wouldn't consider it any were near being one. In the mean time Zane Burns has bought this bat and is now calling it a game used world series bat and has a buy it now price of $1495.00 on it. [content removed]

XPFO
08-09-2007, 06:35 PM
I think Arod13 better not catch wind of this, isn't this who he was battling over the Mattingly bat??

3arod13
08-09-2007, 06:59 PM
I think Arod13 better not catch wind of this, isn't this who he was battling over the Mattingly bat??

To late, the wind was blowing my way. If you go back and read the post I made about his mattingly bat, you'll see a post made by Rudy (Kingjammy24):

the mattingly bat mentioned in this thread was originally sold in a feb 23/24 2007 hunt auction. it sold for $650.

http://www.huntauctions.com/online/i...823&lot_qua l (http://www.huntauctions.com/online/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=30&lot_num=823&lot_qual)=

Then all of a sudden, he's selling it for $2,900+ and has all kinds of history about the bat. Funny thing is, in the Hunts auction, they bat came with their LOA. Why wasn't that listed in his auction.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=9582

I'm not going to spend anymore time on this. As always, what comes around...goes around!

Regards, Tony

b.heagy
08-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Is Zane aware of the information that you aquired from Vince and John?

ChrisCavalier
08-09-2007, 08:21 PM
Hello Jamie,

There are two forum rules I believe apply here. The first applies to your creation of a second thread on the same topic (which has been deleted). The rule is as follows:

No Duplicate Posting. Please do not double post or cross-post your message or question to more than one forum. If a post needs to be moved alert the site administrator. You will not post for the sake of increasing your post count or hack count.

Secondly, it seems as though you have had a private conversation with Vince and John about an item that others may not be aware of. The following rule applies to instances such as these:

In instances where a forum member is identifying an item in the hobby they believe to have issues, it is expected that the poster clearly state their findings in the form of an opinion and provide adequate rationale for why they believe there is an issue. When possible, it is expected that the poster questioning an item will attempt to contact the seller of the item and allow at least 24 hours for the seller to reply before posting. This will prevent postings that may be generated based on misunderstandings of an item.

Have you contacted Zane with this information? He may not be aware of the information you received from your discussion with Vince and John.

Thank you in advance for your compliance.

Sincerely,
Chris

SkubeBats
08-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Zane knows this about the bat because I asked him about this bat back when Vince and John were looking the bat over. I emailed him pictures of the bat and asked him his thoughts on the bat. He told me at that time he has never seen a world series bat like that one. Then when Vince was able to get a hold of me at let me know what they found out about the bat, I called Zane and told him what I found out. All he said the price of $250.00 wasn't still a bad price for a questionable game used world series bat. So, yes he is aware of this information!!!

SkubeBats
08-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Chris, I'm sorry about the mistake of putting up another post about the same thread it won't happen again. I talked to Zane about this before and he knows what Vince and John said about this bat.

SkubeBats
08-10-2007, 07:04 PM
I left message for Vince last night about this bat. I asked him once again his thoughts about the bat. He left a message saying he just felt unsure on selling it to the public. For him to authenticate this bat he wouldn't of felt go doing so. He said he sold it to Zane at the National telling him what he thought about the bat. Zane told him that's the way they made them in 1982, so Vince felt it was ok to sell it to another dealer before he would sell it to the public. I also left an email to Zane this morning he wroe back telling me it was a real world series bat from 1982. And he also said the markings were put on at the company. I talked to the gentleman from birdbats about this bat around a year ago to. He told me all the world series bats he has seen from 1982 have the saying above or below the players name. So please let me know if anyone else could tell me if this is a true 1982 world series bat. I'm not trying to dirty anyones name I just want to get the right info on this bat.
Thanks!!

ironmanfan
08-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Without all the "he said, she said" drama, wouldn't photographic or video evidence from the '82 Series (its not like it's 1882 for gosh sakes) put all this to rest?

harpt
08-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Here's a decent look at Yount's bat from the series

b.heagy
08-11-2007, 06:37 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/GORMAN-THOMAS-GAME-USED-BAT-BREWERS_W0QQitemZ330153933569QQihZ014QQcategoryZ60 596QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

SkubeBats
08-11-2007, 09:17 AM
Scott,
Thanks for the pictures of Yount during the 1982 World Series. About a 2 years ago GameUsedGuy bought a Pete Vuvkovich game used 1982 Worls Series bat on ebay. That bat had 1982 World Series below his name not in the middle of the bat, and the Vuckovich bat is auto. by the hole team, he bought that bat for around $750.00. That was a true world series bat not like this one on ebay now. If you have any questions about the Vuckovich bat email GameUsedGuy at Sparky65@buckeye-express.com and ask him to send you a picture of that bat you will see who has the real world series bat.

SkubeBats
10-27-2009, 04:35 PM
I see that Zane is selling this bat once agian. It sold back in 2007 to some guy, but I guess the deal didn't go through. That's why he is relisting it this time. He might think we have forgoten about this bat but I didn't. Now the discription of the bat is all different this time around, then last time it was on EBAY. I would stay away from this bat!!

Birdbats
10-27-2009, 05:07 PM
Here's Bob Forsch's bat from the '82 Series. It would seem odd for the Brewers bats to be branded differently.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w232/birdbats/Bats/1982WSBatForsch.jpg

SkubeBats
10-27-2009, 05:45 PM
Jeff,
Thanks for the picture of the Bob Forsch bat. I know we talked about this Thomas bat in the past and we both agreed that it weird that the Brewers bats would be different from the Cardinal bats. I just wish Zane would pull this bat off EBAY. I'm a Big Brewers fan and I wouldn't even think about buying this bat. BEWARE!!

SkubeBats
11-03-2009, 06:20 PM
I hope Zane is happy with himself once again for selling this bat to another collector. Here is the item number on EBAY 200399134716 look under completed auction it ended today. This time he was able to sell it for $282.00. What gets me is that everyone sticks up for Zane but how can you, when he sell's a bat like this knowing it isn't a true game used World Series bat. I will be contacting the winner of this bat in a couple of days, and let him or her know that it isn't a true world series bat. I bet it will be reutrned to Zane once again. This is the problem we have in our hobby dealers selling junk to people that don't know enough about game used bats.