PDA

View Full Version : red sox road jerseys

captainhaddock
08-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Does anyone know if the Red Sox have ever deviated from tradition and worn gray road jerseys with "RED SOX" instead of "BOSTON" across the front?

I'm looking at a gray jersey with "RED SOX" on the front, and a 1974 year tag, a size 42 tag, and a McAuliffe tag on the inside front tail. Is this an early PawSox shirt?

Would appreciate any insight.

Thanks,

Mike

G1X
08-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Mike,

This sounds like a minor league jersey as Boston has not worn road jerseys with Red Sox on the front since 1932 according to Marc Okkonen in his fine book "Baseball Uniforms of the 20th Century".

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

captainhaddock
08-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Thanks, Mark. I always appreciate your posts, your time and your expertise.

Happy collecting!

Mike

cohibasmoker
08-07-2007, 07:44 PM
Mike,

Mark is right but please give this some consideration. I've owned a few Red Sox home jerseys from the mid-70's. For whatever reason (s), (washings, sunlight, excessive use or perhaps a combination of all these outside conditions) the white color of the jersey actually turns a grayish hue. Only after you put the jersey next to a 70's Red Sox true road grey jersey can you see that the jersey is in fact white.

Another explanation may be the jersey you are looking at may have been restored and whoever did the restoration put the wrong lettering on.

Jim

captainhaddock
08-07-2007, 10:05 PM
Jim,

Great points! Thanks for the info.

Mike