PDA

View Full Version : Bonds sig on Ruth ball

EurekaDave
08-06-2007, 08:21 PM
David Wells got Barry Bonds to sign a baseball with Babe Ruth's signature on it. Wells paid $7000 for it. Would you have Bonds sign it?

mdube16
08-06-2007, 09:05 PM
No

metsbats
08-06-2007, 09:29 PM
I would love to be there to see what happens when Wells approached Hank Aaron to add his signature too!

That ball is forever tainted just like the record that is about to broken!

-David

David
08-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Irrelevant to what one thinks of Bonds, adding a $100 modern signature to a $7,000 vintage signed ball lowers the value. Collectors pay top dollar for single signed baseballs of folks like Cobb, Ruth and Ott. If you had added a Mickey Mantle to a single signed Ott, that would have lowered the value.

gr8soxfan
08-06-2007, 10:00 PM
I think Wells doesnt care about the value of the ball. But I think the ball would be a original and would be worth a whole lot of money. Its almost impossible to get both signatures on one ball. The next signature on the ball will be Arods

cohibasmoker
08-06-2007, 10:07 PM
Let's see, Bonds

- lied to his wife;
- lied to his girlfriend;
- lied to the IRS;
- but is totally honest with MLB.

But this is America and he's innocent until proved guilty.

Jim

whatupyos
08-06-2007, 10:21 PM
No, I would not have had Bonds sign it. I'm not a Bonds fan...not because of all the steroid controversy. I can care less about whether someone does steroids or not. But I think Bonds is a selfish person and a jerk. I would have been a Ruth fan back in the day if I was alive when he played because he was a great embassador for the game of baseball. Always seemed like he had a minute for the kids to sign a ball or make conversation. Plus I'm not a fan of getting multiple signitures on baseballs.

Aaron

David
08-06-2007, 11:50 PM
For someone who has a Ruth signed ball and wants a Bonds signature to go with it, the standard advice from an autograph veteran would be to buy a Bonds single signed ball.

kylehess10
08-07-2007, 12:33 AM
First, he ruined a Babe Ruth game worn hat by wearing it during a game many years ago, and now he ruined a signed ball of his.

David
08-07-2007, 01:38 PM
While I'm not a fan of adding a modern signatures to a Ruth ball, I must admint I have never seen a Ruth/Aaron/Bonds ball and one might not exist (yet). In particular as the ball belonged to Wells and he got two signatures (if that's his plan), there would be buyer interest in it.

It also should be noted, that Wells is a fan of Babe Ruth-- so he doesn't do these stunts to spite the guy.

kneerat
08-07-2007, 01:47 PM
David,
I agree with you... This ball would be worth more than if it was just signed b Ruth... If a normal Joe Blow got it signed by Bonds, it would hurt the value, but the fact that it made national news, and that it was Wells who got it signed, will help the value.

So, to answer the question... I (personally) would not get it signed by Bonds.

But, the Wells ball would be worth more, IMO.

stlbats
08-07-2007, 09:07 PM
They said last night on ESPN during the Giants game broadcast that Wells already had Hank Aaron sign the ball before he had Bonds sign it, so apparently all 3 are already on the ball.

Jason

ripken8@bellsouth.net

whatupyos
08-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Just out of curiousity, I have a ball signed by both Hank Aaron and Willie Mays. If I were going to part with it at some point, what is a fair market value I could possibly expect to get? I realize its worth what someone is willing to pay for it...so I know it could be anywhere, I'm just wondering what one might estimate what its worth is. Thanks.

Aaron