PDA

View Full Version : Prince Fielder game worn Futures game helmet, NOT WORN BY FIELDER...

kylehess10
08-06-2007, 07:13 PM
I already contacted the seller about this. The helmet in the auction was not worn by Fielder. I've seen many sellers make this mistake with the Futures game helmets. The authentication sticker on the helmet is ONLY for the autograph that is on it. If you look it up, it doesn't say anywhere that the helmet was even worn. There are no numbers on the back of the helmets so I'm guessing that an MLB representative got all the helmets and didn't worry about who wore them and just got them signed by all the players.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Prince-Fielder-Game-Used-Signed-Futures-Helmet-MLB-COA_W0QQitemZ170137769026QQihZ007QQcategoryZ50117Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

XPFO
08-06-2007, 07:33 PM
If you contact MLB authentication, the helmet appears in the Game Used section of their database. I went through all of this prior to originally acquiring the piece as did the person I originally obatined it from (I wanted to prove what he said to me as the MLB description did not specify everything I wanted it too. Prior to 2006 the descriptions of the items were not specific enough and they became for more descriptive in 2006-present.

Make sure you get all the info before you jump the gun and start stating things about items that you haven't looked into yourself that are not true.

XPFO
08-06-2007, 07:41 PM
and if memory serves me correctly....there are two MLB holograms.....one being a GU hologram and 1 being the signature authentication number.

kylehess10
08-06-2007, 09:20 PM
If the helmet was worn by Fielder then it would state it when looked up in the database, but this is what comes up when you enter the number:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/kylehess10/futureshelmet.jpg

It says "autographer". No where does it say "game used". It is used by an unknown player and signed by Fielder. I saw another helmet just like this one awhile ago on eBay and it stated that it was signed by the player and worn by an unknown player.

XPFO
08-07-2007, 05:45 AM
Again.....as I stated above, there are 2 holograms ( I believe) one being the sig and one being the game used.....also, corespondence was made with MLB authentics and this is in the system as a game used helmet.

Kyle...as everyone knows the MLB system is not perfect, only recently has it been getting better. I have a game worn jersey I purchased directly from the Tigers with the MLB hologram and the description you punch up when you enter the number is the players name and jersey...that is it. No game used, no game issued, no nothing...just jersey.

Again...myself, another forum member I purchased this from and the current owner all have delved into this, you simply punched the hologram number into the system....again, don't jump the gun!!!

kellsox
08-07-2007, 07:53 AM
I'm not sure if Kyle is "jumping the gun" here. I've handled a few G/U batting helmets including several from Steiner and the MLB holo on the inside of the helmet usually indicates that it is an official MLB helmet. None of the holos that I have entered in the system have indicated game use by a specific player, just that it is official merchandise.
kelly

XPFO
08-07-2007, 08:07 AM
Kellsox-now if memory serves me, that was the case...it was quite sometime ago when I last looked up these numbers. My whole point to Kyle is all because the description is vague in the MLB authentication database does not mean that an item is not game used. As I mentioned previously, I purchased a game worn Tigers jersey from the tigers that states in the database "jersey"....that is it. also, you have a lot of the 2006 worn jerseys listed as issued because an MLB authenticator did not see them being removed by the player, they are definitley game used. I have other holograms that do not appear in the system at all.
It is far from a perfect system...just ask MLB yourself. There is an item on e-bay right now that's MLB number does not even closely match what the item is. Steiner sent me a #41 Yankees jersey accidentally that when the number was punched into the system it came up as a #33 Melido Perez game issued jersey....even those these systems are getting better they are FAR from perfect.

As I also menioned previous...after repeated attempts at contacting MLB authentication, the gentlemen that finally responded to me confirmed it was a game worn helmet. The size of the helmet matches Prince's helmet size as well....and if you still have doubts...think about it this way.....there were how many players on Prince's team in that game...probably 15 or so that weren't pitchers and who actually hit. Out of those 15, how many would have worn a 7 3/8...probably 4 or 5 at best, so even if you dispute what was told to myself and a very prominent member of the forum (who I wish would chime in on this subject as well) by MLB...just deduce the facts and form your opinion that way.