PDA

View Full Version : 1958 Dodgers Jersey Question

rich schukay
01-21-2006, 09:21 PM
I'm hoping to obtain some information on a grey flannel Dodgers jersey that I obtained from a Coaches Corner auction about 12 or 13 years ago.

The jersey is #53 that was worn by Don Drysdale. #53 D. Drysdale is stitched on the front above a old style Wilson tag. Between this stitching and the tag is 1958 Set 1 that is also stitched. The stitching is in blue and is 3/8 of an inch in height. The Wilson tag is sewn below all this stitching. The Wilson tag has Wilson in organge on the top with a black line below it. On the left side is the cleaning instruction which is then listed 1 2 3. To the right side is the size 46. Below that is Wilson Sporting Goods Co. There is an orange upside down T that seperates the cleaning instructions and size. The shirt is a size 46 but is very large. From the to[ back neck area to the bottom tail is 41 inches long. The shirt is about 22 inches wide.

This grey flannel jersey has 6 buttons down the front of the shirt and
DODGERS is sewn across the front of the jersey in blue and 54 is sewn on the back. The DO is on the rightside of the shirt, D is then between the 1st and 2nd button and between piping and GERS is on the left side.T The first D is 4 inches high and Dodgers is a little over 15 inches wide. The numbers are 7 inches high and 4 inches wide. The top of the numbers are about 4 1/2 inches from the blue piping that goes around the back neck area of the jersey. There is also blue piping around the front of the jersey and at the end of each sleave. At the end of each sleave, the piping is very narrow and there are 2 blue piping strips.

I tried to post a few photographs but I was unable to get them loaded. Does anyone know if the specifics for this jersey are similar to any others that are in the hobby? I have been unsuccessful in finding any information on Dodger jerseys from 1958.

The jersey shows nice use and Don Drysdale has autographed it on the front in black however it has faded quite a bit and is barely visible. The shirt is very large and as I recall, Don was a big for his era. Also, the players wore a baggier jersey.

As I mentioned, this jersey was obtained from a Coaches Corner auction. I no longer have the listing but I recall that they said that the shirt was obtained by thgeir consigner from a movie or TV studio. The jersey was used for a possible movie and the listing said that many times back in the 50's and 60's, some of the jerseys used for movies or TV would be former game worn shirts? Does this sound possible? Keeping in mind that when I obtained this shirt, collecting jerseys wasn't nearly as prominent as it is today.

Any input would be appreciated as I would like to avoid sending this out to one of the authenticating services until I have more information.

Thanks
Rich Schukay

rich schukay
01-22-2006, 12:41 PM
The pictures to go along with my write-up. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks
Rich

both-teams-played-hard
01-22-2006, 01:32 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/both-teams-played-hard/adrysdale.jpg

The chain-stitched "#" sign looks odd. Do the button-holes look original? Seems to be a button issue. "Dodgers" on your shirt looks small (the loops in "D" and "g"). Does anyone have a late 50s Dodgers tagging photo to compare that chain-stitch font?

suave1477
01-22-2006, 05:51 PM
Please keep this in mind I am not an authenticator. I did check out your jersey from the pics ( FIRST OF ALL THERE IS NO NUMBER ON THE FRONT? WHERE DID THE NUMBER GO? ) I saw pics of Drysdale on Getty Images and all of them from 1958 and other years has a number on the front and the "D" looks a bit off. It does not look like the real thing, it might be a Batting practice jersey. I dont know? like I said I am not an authenticator I am just comparing to pictures of him from 1958.

Eric
01-22-2006, 07:02 PM
The D does look similar in this 1958 spring training jersey, no?

suave1477
01-22-2006, 08:45 PM
You cant tell in the photo you posted, the way the players are posing none of the give you a straight pose. if you look at the photo the other member posted the curve at the top of the "D" that sticks out swings down more, the one on your jersey swings out more.

rich schukay
01-22-2006, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the input and photographs. The jersey has not had any alterations other than the top 2 buttons are different than the bottom 4 so it looks like these were replaced.

I've been searching through the internet for different photographs from the late 1950's and have found that there are a few different ways Dodgers is scripted on the front of the jerseys. The variations seems to be with the "O" and the middle "d". Some uniforms have had the "o" completely open while others have had the cut throught it. With the "d", some have not had it attached to the "o" while others have it attached by the diagonal line. The other difference seems to be with the placement of the 2nd button. I've only seen 2 pictures where the 2nd button is not above the top of the "d".

As for numbers not being on the front of the shirt. I've seen photo's with and without numbers. Not sure if the jerseys without a number were from spring training?

Has anyone ever seen the tagging for a jersey from 1957 or 1958 and does the history sound possible, with the jersey being possibly a gamer that was passed on to a movie or TV studio for use in a show?

Thanks
Rich

Eric
01-22-2006, 10:01 PM
Lelands sold a 1958 Dodgers Chuck Dressen jersey. Here's the description with the tagging info

Lot 768 . 1958 Chuck Dressen Game Worn Los Angeles Dodgers Jersey All original white Los Angeles Dodgers home jersey is awesome! Donned by a manager who never had a shortage of baseball savvy. Chuck Dressen led the Dodgers to two consecutive pennants in the early 1950’s. Stitched across the chest is “Dodgers 7” (red felt for the 7). On verso is his lucky #7 in blue. Embroidered onto the front left tail in blue thread is “Dressen 58”. Above that is the “Rawlings Hall of Fame Flannel” tag with [size] 42 tag. Nice use.

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?lot=768&auctionid=212