PDA

View Full Version : Lampson's Best Work, Yet!

hblakewolf
08-04-2007, 07:25 AM
While living is Seattle from 1987-1994, I attended many Mariners games, including those during Griffey's rookie 1989 season and beyond.

The current Bricol auction has a "1989 (although the jersey is tagged 1990) Griffey Jr. Jersey". The only small problem? Griffey NEVER wore a jersey with the Jr. on the name plate-NEVER. I dare anyone, let alone Lampson, to provide solid photographic evidence of Griffey Jr. wearing such a jersey in either 1989 or 1990 in the Kingdome.

Hats off to Lampson for yet another fine job of authenticating a jersey that was never worn, team issued or ordered by equipment manager Henry Genzaleby for Griffey to wear.!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

hblakewolf
08-04-2007, 07:57 AM
Here is a photo taken directly from the 1991 Mariners meadia guide. The 1990 photo shows both Griffey's walking onto the field.

Nice work, Lou!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

bradleysupplies
08-04-2007, 09:40 PM
I do not know Lou, have never met Lou, nor have I ever purchased or had the opportunity to purchase an item with his COA.

But given alot of the 'evidence' provided on this board, why is he still employed?

Joel

sportscentury
08-04-2007, 10:26 PM
While living is Seattle from 1987-1994, I attended many Mariners games, including those during Griffey's rookie 1989 season and beyond.

The current Bricol auction has a "1989 (although the jersey is tagged 1990) Griffey Jr. Jersey". The only small problem? Griffey NEVER wore a jersey with the Jr. on the name plate-NEVER. I dare anyone, let alone Lampson, to provide solid photographic evidence of Griffey Jr. wearing such a jersey in either 1989 or 1990 in the Kingdome.

Hats off to Lampson for yet another fine job of authenticating a jersey that was never worn, team issued or ordered by equipment manager Henry Genzaleby for Griffey to wear.!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Howard,

What you point out is commonly known among superstar/HoF jersey collectors. Yet, Lampson was clearly willing to write a letter for it none the less. It is amazing that certain auction houses care so little about their credibility that they continue to employ him.

Best,
Reid

kingjammy24
08-05-2007, 01:55 AM
i'm curious what then people would make of some comments that SCD's steve bloedow made regarding lampson:

"This auction was the first time I had the chance to meet and talk with authenticator Lou Lampson for any length of time. Most sports memorabilia message boards spend a lot of time ripping on this guy, but I'll be the first to advise you to give him a chance. I'm not sure if I've met anyone more passionate about what he does than Lampson. He's also just basically a collector with 100x more knowledge than most of us, who happens to wind up authenticating for auction houses because others have priced themselves out of the market. Does he make mistakes? Sure, but it's more related to trying to do too many items at one time than anything else. And the responsibility is still on us to do our research before buying an item to "double check" the authenticator's work. I'm sure Lampson has plenty of faults. We all do. But when he starts talking about athletes that he's met, knows and is very good friends with and going through his photo album of his collection and pictures of him with guys like JaMarcus Russell and Larry Fitzgerald, it's hard not to like him. If anyone else was a better option, I'm sure the auction houses would use them to authenticate, but don't think that this guy doesn't know his stuff."

so there you have it. his authentications aren't garbage because he's inept or worse. they're garbage because he's too busy. of course, he's the one who intentionally accepts responsibility for authenticating more items than he can handle, but why let logic get in the way of a good piece of nonsense. steve bloedow certainly didn't. i don't know about others but if i had been burned on a lampson item, this would make me feel so much better about everything.

secondly, lampson has faults but we all do right? while his may border on fraud and mine are that i don't get enough exercise, they're all the same. i'm surprised ken lay's attorney didn't go for the "hey, we all have faults" defense.

the final point is the piece de resistance. been burned by lampson? feel he's a cancer in the hobby because of dozens of completely inept authentications? well did you know that he knows JAMARCUS RUSSELL?? all those inept, bogus authentications on tens of thousands of dollars worth of items aren't lookin so important anymore huh? i gotta say..at first, lampson really had me riled. i had witnessed dozens of authentications where he hadn't even bothered to style check or check a roster. in all of my 32 yrs i had never seen such gross misfeasance. then i found out he knows some pro athletes and all of a sudden everything else seemed irrelevant. i felt really stupid for being angry over something so trivial as garbage authentications in light of the fact that this amazing individual knows some pro athletes. i now believe that the quality of an authenticator is directly proportional to how many famous friends they have. all i needed was steve bloedow to put everything in perspective and help me realize what really matters. thanks steve! keep up the great work! looking forward to reading some more hot, steaming nonsense!

rudy.

both-teams-played-hard
08-05-2007, 02:52 AM
i'm curious what then people would make of some comments that SCD's steve bloedow made regarding lampson:

"This auction was the first time I had the chance to meet and talk with authenticator Lou Lampson for any length of time. Most sports memorabilia message boards spend a lot of time ripping on this guy, but I'll be the first to advise you to give him a chance. I'm not sure if I've met anyone more passionate about what he does than Lampson. He's also just basically a collector with 100x more knowledge than most of us, who happens to wind up authenticating for auction houses because others have priced themselves out of the market. Does he make mistakes? Sure, but it's more related to trying to do too many items at one time than anything else. And the responsibility is still on us to do our research before buying an item to "double check" the authenticator's work. I'm sure Lampson has plenty of faults. We all do. But when he starts talking about athletes that he's met, knows and is very good friends with and going through his photo album of his collection and pictures of him with guys like JaMarcus Russell and Larry Fitzgerald, it's hard not to like him. If anyone else was a better option, I'm sure the auction houses would use them to authenticate, but don't think that this guy doesn't know his stuff."

so there you have it. his authentications aren't garbage because he's inept or worse. they're garbage because he's too busy. of course, he's the one who intentionally accepts responsibility for authenticating more items than he can handle, but why let logic get in the way of a good piece of nonsense. steve bloedow certainly didn't. i don't know about others but if i had been burned on a lampson item, this would make me feel so much better about everything.

secondly, lampson has faults but we all do right? while his may border on fraud and mine are that i don't get enough exercise, they're all the same. i'm surprised ken lay's attorney didn't go for the "hey, we all have faults" defense.

the final point is the piece de resistance. been burned by lampson? feel he's a cancer in the hobby because of dozens of completely inept authentications? well did you know that he knows JAMARCUS RUSSELL?? all those inept, bogus authentications on tens of thousands of dollars worth of items aren't lookin so important anymore huh? i gotta say..at first, lampson really had me riled. i had witnessed dozens of authentications where he hadn't even bothered to style check or check a roster. in all of my 32 yrs i had never seen such gross misfeasance. then i found out he knows some pro athletes and all of a sudden everything else seemed irrelevant. i felt really stupid for being angry over something so trivial as garbage authentications in light of the fact that this amazing individual knows some pro athletes. i now believe that the quality of an authenticator is directly proportional to how many famous friends they have. all i needed was steve bloedow to put everything in perspective and help me realize what really matters. thanks steve! keep up the great work! looking forward to reading some more hot, steaming nonsense!

rudy.

Rudy, Great Post!
I will save the wise-cracks, because there is no way I can compete with the comedy stylings of Steve Bloedow. I love the line, "others (authenticators) have priced themselves out of the market". This was an obvious dig on MEARS. So, we are to believe Lampson's best quality is that he works cheap?
Another classic: "I'm sure Lampson has plenty of faults. We all do." C'mon Bloedow, speak for yourself! Lampson is the one who has glossed himself as the foremost authority of game-used jerseys, etc. So, if I spent 11 Gs on Mastro's Jordan shooting shirt, would a photo of Lampson and Larry Fitzgerald give me peace of mind? Stoppit, Mr. Bloedow, you are only embarassing yourself.

lund6771
08-05-2007, 10:58 AM
what Steve wrote is some of the worst BS that I've ever read...I couldn't care less what Lampsons passions are, his "JOB" is to give accurate authentications...if he takes on too much work, that's HIS problem....If it's the duty of the collector to double-check the authenticator, why the hell are we paying almost 20% on each side of the transaction?...

this hobby/buisness needs a serious shake-up...the trash that Steve wrote really shows his ignorance....

I think that a big part of the problem is that most dealers, and Lampson included, were originally collectors...I don't think that any of them had a business backround, none the less running any sort of company...when the game used market took off in the 80's, these collectors turned it into a business...I'd like to Know what backround they have in dealing with millions of dollars?

It's easy for a lot of us, GUU members, to see this beacuse we are collectors who actually have a job in the real world where there is structure....just like anything else, where there is money to be made, you'll find crooks coming in, and the Feds right behind them...I just can't believe how long this has been going on and no major sweep has happened

gingi79
08-05-2007, 02:55 PM
This is my first post on this board but I've posted for years on other Game Worn boards. As a collector of many things, I have learned one fact that may help ease your pains with Lou.

He is an idiot.

I personally avoid his items but just because he says an item is real doesn't mean it is or it isn't. He can't make something fake nor can he make it real. He simply puts pretty words on a paper and signs it. It is us, the collector, who validates his opinion or not. He is a so-called "expert", but how many times has this very board shown that to be laughable? I can however explain why he is still in business.

What Lou does, is write a letter that says an item is real. I can write a letter that says I am a monkey but that doesn't make it true. What I am saying is that his opinion isn't illegal, unless he knowingly tries to defraud people. Being a lazy businessman and relying on his "years of knowledge" to make him money rather than looking at facts makes him a dirtbag but not a crook.

Lastly, no authentication makes an item real. As a rule, I pay zero attention to items I can't research and deem authentic myself.

P.S. While this is a classic example of Lampson buffoonary, it pales in comparison to Mantle's pants. LOL

both-teams-played-hard
08-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Being a lazy businessman and relying on his "years of knowledge" to make him money rather than looking at facts makes him a dirtbag but not a crook.

ALL good points. Lampson could easily turn over a new leaf. However, he does get some things right. But, an authentic, game worn and used uniform authenticates itself. It's complicated stuff; but it ain't rocket surgery. There are more resources available now, than ever before. Mr. Lampson could join this message board and get a "free" staff of "free" fact-checkers. The folks that prove his LOAs as bogus could head him off at the pass before his fingertips touch the keyboard. He doesn't have to write an LOA for everything. Mr. Lampson- I urge you to use your knowledge for good...not evil. Admit your mistakes, then try to avoid future errors AT ALL COSTS! I would like to see the items that Lampson rejects. Did he do any research? Or, did he just reject some crappy retail jerseys with with felt NOBs ironed-on? There seems to be a gang of people who think he is the "cat's pajamas". I ask the Lampson supporters to speak up. Show some examples of his "due dillegence". His knowledge of Abraham Zapruder's cinematography skills (although a priceless story) doesn't do it for me. Silence the critics. Let's hear some good things about Lou Lampson.

sportscentury
08-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Let's hear some good things about Lou Lampson.

Well, first of all, he has the same initials as Leon Lett, who was a pretty good defensive tackle. Let me do some thinking and see what else I can come up with.

Jason
08-05-2007, 04:47 PM
I think there are several factors here on why Lampson is still doing what he does.

1. When an Auction House sells a big ticket item, they dont want to hear that it may not be authentic..so they pay someone with a "name" to make it authentic no matter what, with their "expert opinion".

2. The person buying this big ticket item often times is just some novice collector with a lot of money to spend, they have no clue on how to research the item for themselves. They figure for the amount they are spending, and that it comes with a LOA, it has to be authentic.

3. Combine #1 and #2 above and you have an Auction House knowing that the person buying the item has no clue if it is authentic or not and they have the money to blow. It's most likely some rich novice who just wants it because he can, and chances are it will never get back out on the market again. It's a win win situation for everyone. The buyer will probably never know or have anyone knowledgeable around them to ever find out the item was not authentic so they will go on believing it is authentic...so everyone is happy.

People can point out Lampson's mistakes all day on forums like this, but as long as there are guppies out there spending big bucks for non-authentic items, Lampson is still going to have a job.

momen55
08-05-2007, 09:46 PM
why does it matter so much that an item has a letter with it??? if it's used, it's used! period! even mlb makes mistakes! me personally, i buy after i have done my own research or got it directly from the player. i don't depend on anyone elses garbage. whether or not it has a letter i don't care. they don't mean nothing to me. there is way too much focus on lou and his foolish letters. after all, why should his opinion count and not mine or someone elses that has knowledge of game used stuff? letters of opinion DON'T authenticate a thing! everyone has an opinion, so why is it called an LOA? i like denny esken for the fact that all the letters i have seen from him say 100% authentic, not my opinion.
come one people, if people don't want to do there research and buy on impulse and emotion, noone is going to change their mind. as long as people can get fooled, the letters and business will continue.

both-teams-played-hard
08-15-2007, 04:18 PM
Lampson could easily turn over a new leaf. However, he does get some things right. But, an authentic, game worn and used uniform authenticates itself. It's complicated stuff; but it ain't rocket surgery. There are more resources available now, than ever before. Mr. Lampson could join this message board and get a "free" staff of "free" fact-checkers. The folks that prove his LOAs as bogus could head him off at the pass before his fingertips touch the keyboard. He doesn't have to write an LOA for everything. Mr. Lampson- I urge you to use your knowledge for good...not evil. Admit your mistakes, then try to avoid future errors AT ALL COSTS! I would like to see the items that Lampson rejects. Did he do any research? Or, did he just reject some crappy retail jerseys with with felt NOBs ironed-on? There seems to be a gang of people who think he is the "cat's pajamas". I ask the Lampson supporters to speak up. Show some examples of his "due dillegence". His knowledge of Abraham Zapruder's cinematography skills (although a priceless story) doesn't do it for me. Silence the critics. Let's hear some good things about Lou Lampson.

10 days old and still relevant today.

gr8soxfan
08-17-2007, 09:20 PM
Well here's another Lampson gem.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Jason-Giambi-2005-Game-Used-Yankees-Jersey-Lampson-GU7_W0QQitemZ230162916343QQihZ013QQcategoryZ60597Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
He compared to other Giambi jersey in his huge database and found a match:)

Jason
08-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Well here's another Lampson gem.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Jason-Giambi-2005-Game-Used-Yankees-Jersey-Lampson-GU7_W0QQitemZ230162916343QQihZ013QQcategoryZ60597Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
He compared to other Giambi jersey in his huge database and found a match:)

It's nice to see that Lampson was able to authenticate the fact that "Dirk Nowitzki rules the basketball court in Dallas, Texas."