PDA

View Full Version : 1975 Red Sox Yaz Jersey on ebay

guDon
08-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Another neat item on ebay. Is it legit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CARL-YASTRZEMSKI-GAME-WORN-USED-1975-RED-SOX-JERSEY_W0QQitemZ120147407958QQihZ002QQcategoryZ605 97QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

cohibasmoker
08-04-2007, 06:44 AM
To answer your question, I would suggest you look at a few auctions houses “past results” and make your decision based on what you find. I saw that American Memorabilia had a few mid-1970’s Red Sox jerseys, which may help you out in making your decision.

I have my own opinion on the jersey but it’s really not my place to say. Do the research and make your own decision.

Jim

hblakewolf
08-04-2007, 07:28 AM
Jim-
you note that it's not your place to say?

This is a forum that encourages open and candid feedback about jerseys. A member is seeking an opinion, and you seem to have great knowledge about this era of Red Sox jerseys.

I'm sure we will all share in your insight to this particular scarce jersey.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Ozric
08-04-2007, 07:54 AM
Wasn't there a thread concerning issues with this seller a number of months ago??? I seem to recall some problems regarding a bat that was bought game ready and resold as game used... Anybody...

cohibasmoker
08-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Howard,

I see your point. However, what's wrong with suggesting that members check out past auctions of major auction houses to view similar jerseys so they can then formulate their own opinions?

How many times have I read on this website stating, "LOA's mean nothing, do your homework". In this case, I can say that, if a member would go to American Memorabilia's website, there are many examples that can be viewed for comparison to the jersey on eBay. Each member can then make their own decision based on what they see and not on mine or anyone else's opinion.

In closing, I am keeping up with the spirit of this website. Instead of listing my opinion of the jersey, I am pointing members to a website that has, in the past, sold several examples of the jersey currently on eBay. Each member can make then make their own decision on the authenticity of the jersey.

Jim

33bird
08-04-2007, 09:49 AM
I disagree with the American Memorabilia Reference thing. Sometimes maybe, but they sell things (as well as other auction houses) with their Lou Lampson coas that are not legit. SO, you compare it to a non-legit gamer on Amer. Memb. and then you buy a non-legit gamer on ebay. Be careful with that reasoning is all I'm saying.
Greg

Ozric
08-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Wouldn't Lou Lampson have been the one who authenticated most if not all of the previous American Memorabilia jerseys?

Tim

kellsox
08-04-2007, 09:50 AM
Howard,

I see your point. However, what's wrong with suggesting that members check out past auctions of major auction houses to view similar jerseys so they can then formulate their own opinions?

How many times have I read on this website stating, "LOA's mean nothing, do your homework". In this case, I can say that, if a member would go to American Memorabilia's website, there are many examples that can be viewed for comparison to the jersey on eBay. Each member can then make their own decision based on what they see and not on mine or anyone else's opinion.

In closing, I am keeping up with the spirit of this website. Instead of listing my opinion of the jersey, I am pointing members to a website that has, in the past, sold several examples of the jersey currently on eBay. Each member can make then make their own decision on the authenticity of the jersey.

Jim
I don't think that people are unwilling to make their own decisions, but I was lead to believe that this forum was for collectors to share information and knowledge. Why would you come out and say that you have an opinion on the item but are unwilling to share? If you have knowledge on the subject why not help people make informed decisions?
kelly

hblakewolf
08-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Kelly-
My words, exactly!

Why make a post indicating you have information, and then tell others to go search past auctions or web sites to learn what you already know?

We are not seeking Cohibasmokers thoughts about the individual's character offering the Yaz shirt. In this case, our focus is on the Yaz shirt itself, and from Cohibasmokers post, he has some sort of insight about the shirt. Let's try to share this information, and allow others to benefit from this specific thread and the overall purpose of the Game Used Universe.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

karamaxjoe
08-04-2007, 02:17 PM
First I'd like to say I don't consider myself an expert on Red Sox jerseys, but I've owned a few in the past.

The most obvious problem with the Yaz jersey is the Mcauliffe tag in the colar. All the mid to late 70's Red Sox jerseys have the Mcauliffe tag in the collar with a blue frame around it. The tag on the Yaz jersey doesn't have the blue frame. It would sure help to see the tag up close, but I'll keep my opinion on why the blue frame is missing on the tag to myself. I've also heard about a few interesting transactions with the seller in the past.

Mike

karamaxjoe
08-04-2007, 02:43 PM
I'd also like to mention the Fisk jersey on ebay that has the same problem as the Yaz jersey. The seller is not listing this as game used since they can't be sure of the validity of the jersey. I guess you might call this creative trimming and resewing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230158252640&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013

Mike

cohibasmoker
08-05-2007, 12:11 AM
:o Karamaxjoe/Mike, Bingo. You hit the nail right on the head. It's the tagging in the collar and in particular, the lack of blue trim around the McAuliffe tag. Creative trimming? I see your point but I've also seen 1970 and 1971 Red Sox flannel jerseys worn by common players with a similar label. Are we correct? Maybe so, maybe not.

:o Ozric/Tim: if you are correct, because Lou Lampson authenticated the jerseys for American Memorabilia, are we to assume that all of the jerseys posted by American Memorabilia are bogus and the one on eBay is ligitimate? I have a question for you, are any of the jerseys either on AM or the eBay auction legitimate? If so, which jersey (s) is the legitimate one?

:o 33Bird/Greg: Fine, I see your point. Check out other auctions houses. Most post their past results for all to see.

:o Kellsox/Kelly, I did help people make informed decisions. Look at the responses. It got people interested and hopefully, they started to look critically at other mid-1970's Red Sox jerseys.

:o Howard: Hopefully members got pissed at me and did some of their own research and they now know what Mike and I know. Well, Mike probably knows more than I because I'll be the first to admit that I am still in the novice category.

Forum members, my goal was to start-up a discussion about the jersey. It was a simple exercise and from the responses, it looks like I succeeded. I probably pissed some members off but it also got members involved.

Instead of just stating my opinion on the jersey, I did it a little differently. By suggesting the auction websites, I pointed the members in a direction where hopefully they took my advise and started looking critically at other mid- 1970's Red Sox jerseys.

A Yaz jersey should fetch $5000 plus so doesn't it make sense that, when spending that kind of money, a person should make their own decision based on as much information as possible and not depend on someone else's opinion?

Jim

flaco1801
08-05-2007, 07:27 PM
just checked my 1975 rick miller it has that blue band aroun the mc aullife tag. im thinking these could be minor league jerseys. good work guys, but the winners are gonna pay big bucks and will never know. jeff

Ozric
08-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Thanks... That was exactly my point. Why on earth would you reference an auction site for educational purposes that is clearly under scrutiny due to questions about the authenticator. No, not everything may be bad there, but sending someone there as a benchmark is just a bit unusual considering how often Lampson's errors are discussed on this forum.

cohibasmoker
08-06-2007, 07:30 AM
:o Ozic AND Sportscentury: If you are not comfortable with American Memorabila, by all means use another auction house site. There are plenty of other auction houses out there that can be used for reference purposes.

BUT, Haven't we have all seen questionable items at all of the major auction houses? No-one is perfect that is why it is so important to figure out for yourself the validity of any piece of sports memorabilia!!!

Again, the goal here was to get people thinking and looking around to decide for themselves on whether or not the Yaz jersey on eBay was authentic or not. In reading all of the posts, at least 1 member started looking around and benefited from the discussions on an item in their own collection.

Jim

PS: Flaco1801 - If you get a chance, can you shoot me some scans of your Miller? I'd like to see it. I own a Johnny Pesky from 1975 and can forward scans of my jersey. My email is flaa1a@comcast.net

angrymuppet
08-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Really surprised that no one has mentioned how high up the letters are on the front of the jersey. This was my first clue having dealt in 1970s Red Sox jerseys in the past. If memory serves, the letters should be something like 6 - 8 inches below the collar "v" point. You can also compare the letter height to the sleeves. It does not look to be even close to what it should be.

Here is a good example of collar to letter distance from 1974.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2e/Carltonfisk.png

Has anyone contated the seller with concerns?

cohibasmoker
08-07-2007, 07:56 PM
Angrymuppet: Excellent point. Since the jersey we have been discussing is from 1975, for comparison purposes, I have attached a scan of my 1975 Johnny Pesky Home jersey.

My jersey is all-original and has unbelievable wear. The wear is so extreme that, on the numbers on the back, some of the threads are worn off to a point where you can actually put your finger between the number and the body of the jersey.

Note the collar tag.

Boy would I love to own the jersey in the scan you provided. Wow.

Jim