PDA

View Full Version : Aren't Lowball Offers Getting Old?

3arod13
08-03-2007, 08:25 AM
I realize we all look for those great collectibles where we end up getting them for a great price. However, the obvious lowball offers received are sometimes just straight up ridiculous.

Lowball offers are one thing, but when the individuals also tries to tell you how your items isn't all that great of an item, yet, they are so persistent in wanting it so bad, for next to nothing.

I think everyone should be more realistic when making offers, depending on what the items is. Going a couple hundreds less than what it's worth is one thing, but thousands is ridiculous. Here's one example:

I have on ebayer hounding me for my 1995 Seattle Mariners Full Ticket in which Arod hit his first career home run in that game. Oh, and by the way, it's signed.

He's told me everything in the world why this tickets isn't that big of a deal (autographs in sharpie aren't desireable; there are many of these tickets out there signed (I haven't seen one before); etc.)), yet he continously hounds me to sell it to him for next to nothing....like he's doing me a favor.

I see the same with GU stuff. Yes, we want those great deals, but let's be realistic, you're not going to get a Game Used Brett Favre signed rookie jersey for $200.

I'm sure all agree, it gets frustrating when people do this.

Regards, Tony

worldchamps
08-03-2007, 09:08 AM
Out of curiosity, what do you think a ticket like these would be worth?

Vintagedeputy
08-03-2007, 09:09 AM
It is funny when someone tells you that your item is crap and they want to take it off your hands for some ridiculous price.

The opposite is true to, when someone has junk and thinks that the sky is the limit. I guess thats all part of the process.

Nice tickets by the way...were the sig's obtained at the stadium or a show? They look like stadium sigs.

sarahsdad
08-03-2007, 10:00 AM
Everyone wants something for nothing.
sarahsdad

3arod13
08-03-2007, 10:09 AM
It is funny when someone tells you that your item is crap and they want to take it off your hands for some ridiculous price.

The opposite is true to, when someone has junk and thinks that the sky is the limit. I guess thats all part of the process.

Nice tickets by the way...were the sig's obtained at the stadium or a show? They look like stadium sigs.

Stadium. Tickets were signed the day of the game.

3arod13
08-03-2007, 10:11 AM
Out of curiosity, what do you think a ticket like these would be worth?

Good question. I guess like everyone says, "whatever someone is willing to pay."

However, what do you think a Mickey Mantle, Babe Ruth, Joe Dimaggio, etc. signed first HR ticket would cost? Exactly! However, arod still has a way to go. Hanging on to the tickets until arod in finished, will definately bring more to the plate than if sold today.

worldchamps
08-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Well it is unfair to compair anything modern to Mantle, DiMaggio or Ruth. That is like thinking your modern baseball cards are going to be worth what Ruth's are worth...not going to happen.

Personally I would think those are a $200-$300 items at most. Do you think this ticket is worth more than a game used bat? If you were offered the 2 items at the same time and only could take one, which would you take?

Just wondering...what was the guy's low ball offer?

Also to me ebay is something you put items for sale on and the market dictates the price...i wouldn't put something for a high price and then expect to get offers, that is not the way ebay works.

I recently had an item that I wanted a decent price for, so I put it on ebay for Buy it now for I think $700....got no bids

I then did $700 or Best Offer...got 3 offers none of which were even half of my original price...so I kept it.

Maybe this is something you value more than others, kind of like the Jordan auto rookie. Didn't you have that at $15,000? I don't think you will find a buyer at that price. I would love to have it to, I think it is a great item, but you can get a game jersey for that.

Just my thoughts

3arod13
08-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Well it is unfair to compair anything modern to Mantle, DiMaggio or Ruth. That is like thinking your modern baseball cards are going to be worth what Ruth's are worth...not going to happen.

Personally I would think those are a $200-$300 items at most. Do you think this ticket is worth more than a game used bat? If you were offered the 2 items at the same time and only could take one, which would you take?

Just wondering...what was the guy's low ball offer?

Also to me ebay is something you put items for sale on and the market dictates the price...i wouldn't put something for a high price and then expect to get offers, that is not the way ebay works.

I recently had an item that I wanted a decent price for, so I put it on ebay for Buy it now for I think $700....got no bids

I then did $700 or Best Offer...got 3 offers none of which were even half of my original price...so I kept it.

Maybe this is something you value more than others, kind of like the Jordan auto rookie. Didn't you have that at $15,000? I don't think you will find a buyer at that price. I would love to have it to, I think it is a great item, but you can get a game jersey for that.

Just my thoughts

I sold the Jordan signed rookie for $4,000. Paid $600 for it ungraded. Not a bad profit.

The ticket to me is worth much more than $200-$300. How many full game signed arod tickets in which he it his first HR are out there. Now, yes, you have to find someone else that is interested in it also, but it's well worth more than $200-$300.

worldchamps
08-03-2007, 10:50 AM
$4000 sounds more realistic, I thought you were trying to get $15K for it??

kellsox
08-03-2007, 10:52 AM
Its tough to get a handle on what tickets/stubs are worth. I recently sold a Griffey Jr. 200th HR stub for 225+. Link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320133600309&ssPageName=STRK:MESO:IT&ih=011
When I listed it is was figuring that I would be happy with anywhere between 60-100. All it takes is two determined bidders who want an item bad enough. The buyer later told me that he had been waiting a few years for that particular stub to surface and he obviously wasn't the only one.
Kelly

worldchamps
08-03-2007, 10:55 AM
That is a good reference point, maybe I am low ( to me that is still what it is worth)

That is the greatest of ebay, all it takes is 2 people.

ironmanfan
08-03-2007, 11:04 AM
How does this eBayer even know about this ticket? Was it ever for sale? Most people know that the vast majority of the pieces in my collection aren't for sale at any price but when I do get offers (low ball or not), a simple "no thank you" or "i'm not interested in selling at this time" works for me.

3arod13
08-03-2007, 11:07 AM
$4000 sounds more realistic, I thought you were trying to get $15K for it??

Not at all, but it would have been nice.

3arod13
08-03-2007, 11:09 AM
How does this eBayer even know about this ticket? Was it ever for sale? Most people know that the vast majority of the pieces in my collection aren't for sale at any price but when I do get offers (low ball or not), a simple "no thank you" or "i'm not interested in selling at this time" works for me.

Yes, but some are very aggressive. I stated on numerous occasions that, but individuals sometimes are very persistent.

worldchamps
08-03-2007, 11:11 AM
I would personally hold on to it....wait until he breaks Bonds record, and try to get that one signed too and sell them together.

ballofbases@hotmail.com
08-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Although the majority of people would pay more for a game used bat or game used jersey I do believe that these tickets from milestone games are worth a good amount. Many people throw these tickets away and many are unsigned because of people not having access to the player. I believe the ones that are signed are the hardest ones to come across and should have a significant value.

Michael
Ballofbases@Hotmail.com

skipcareyisfat
08-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Although the majority of people would pay more for a game used bat or game used jersey I do believe that these tickets from milestone games are worth a good amount. Many people throw these tickets away and many are unsigned because of people not having access to the player. I believe the ones that are signed are the hardest ones to come across and should have a significant value.

Michael
Ballofbases@Hotmail.com

Speaking of expensive tickets, did anyone see this? Apparently the seller put a $50 reserve on it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120145899599&ssPageNa

godwulf
08-03-2007, 01:15 PM
Good question. I guess like everyone says, "whatever someone is willing to pay."

And if no one is willing to pay more than $200-300?

If you can't (or are unwilling to) set a price, or even a range, on the ticket, what makes somebody's offer "ridiculous"?

3arod13
08-03-2007, 01:17 PM
Personally I would think those are a $200-$300 items at most. Do you think this ticket is worth more than a game used bat? If you were offered the 2 items at the same time and only could take one, which would you take? Just wondering...what was the guy's low ball offer?

Wow, I guess I should have titled this thread, "what item were you selling where you received an obvious and ridiculous lowball offer?" That way, I wouldn't be getting somewhat pounded.

I guess my example wasn't that good of a one, considering you have to be a ticket and/or ticket/autograph collector to understand the value.

Do you think this ticket is worth more than a game used bat? This is how I collect: How many arod game used bats are out there? Many. How many arod HR tickets signed by him in that game are out there? Mine is the only one I know of (I'm sure it's not the only one) and that is rare. I do own an arod game used HR Bat from 1996, but when I saw this HR ticket, I had to have it. Again, that's how I collect. Everyone has their own way to collect.

If you were offered the 2 items at the same time and only could take one, which would you take? Of course of the HR Ticket.

I like to collect rare items. Items that many don't have in their collection. Of course rookie items are the best, considering you're only a rookie one year.

Now, I realize these aren't game used items, but this is why I collected these items:

Derek Jeter signed Minor League Ball: This is a Derek Jeter autographed baseball signed in person on the campus of Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo Michigan where Derek Jeter grew up and played high school baseball. This signature was obtained just prior to his rookie year. Many signed Jeter balls out there. How many minor league signed balls? Not as many as major league balls.

1995 Milk Cap signed card. These were given out a one Columbus Clippers game in 1995. Not many of these around, more less sign with a 1995 signature. I just had to have it.

The 8x10, I just liked that minor league picture with a minor league signature. Nothing great, just caught my eye and I had to have it.

Regards, Tony

3arod13
08-03-2007, 01:20 PM
And if no one is willing to pay more than $200-300?

If you can't (or are unwilling to) set a price, or even a range, on the ticket, what makes somebody's offer "ridiculous"?

For Sale: 1984 Michael Jordan Game Used Rookie Jersey. Buy it now price: $6,000 with the option to make a best offer.

Best offer: $500

worldchamps
08-03-2007, 01:33 PM
If you have a game worn rookie Jordan jersey, AND IT IS REAL, you can get $6,000 for it easily.

David
08-03-2007, 01:46 PM
I dislike packaging. When someone offered me three bucks for something, I said "Wouldn't it be easier for me to throw it away?"

3arod13
08-03-2007, 01:46 PM
If you have a game worn rookie Jordan jersey, AND IT IS REAL, you can get $6,000 for it easily.

I wish I did.

I was only giving an example to Godwulf's comment: If you can't (or are unwilling to) set a price, or even a range, on the ticket, what makes somebody's offer "ridiculous"?

TFig27
08-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Tony
thought you might like seeing this.

derek jeter albany colony team signed ball 1994 AA

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/tfig27/IMG_1605.jpg

i still have ticket stubs and the program from that game.

godwulf
08-03-2007, 02:58 PM
I was only giving an example to Godwulf's comment: If you can't (or are unwilling to) set a price, or even a range, on the ticket, what makes somebody's offer "ridiculous"?

And the example you gave was a valid one. Back to your ticket, though, you've declined to answer the question a couple of times, "How much do you think it's worth?" I guess another way of phrasing it would be, "How high would an offer for your ticket have to be not to be 'ridiculous' in your eyes?"

As for taking the ticket over a game-used bat, perhaps you would, but I don't believe you'd have a lot of company in that choice. Scarcity certainly can be a factor in determining an item's value, but I think you'd have to agree, that's far from being an automatic.

3arod13
08-03-2007, 04:49 PM
Tony
thought you might like seeing this.

derek jeter albany colony team signed ball 1994 AA

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v381/tfig27/IMG_1605.jpg

i still have ticket stubs and the program from that game.

That is sweet!

thomecollector
08-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Kellsox,
Great price for that one. I collect Thome HR tix. It's all about how bad you need it. I paid $60 for Thome's first Homerun ticket @ Yankee stadium. I haven't seen another one ever. By the way, I am looking for some of his HR's @ Boston. Think you can help? Lmk . Roger:D thomecollector@cox.net

CollectGU
08-08-2007, 09:50 AM
Tony,

I am now curious to hear what you think the ticket is worth?

Regards,

Dave

3arod13
08-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Tony,

I am now curious to hear what you think the ticket is worth?

Regards,

Dave

Dave,

The HR signed ticket...at this point in arod's career, I wouldn't sell the ticket right now (however, it's not for sale) for no less than $1,800-$2,000. Priced is based on what he has done so far, and based on the potential price it would get if Arod breaks the HR record. There's no quarantee he will, but I have paid much more for items based on future potential and it's paid off well.,

This is Barry Bonds 1st HR ticket. A stub, not signed, not in the greatest shape, and this is what it recently sold for. It was bought for this price as he approached the record. Arod is also much more well liked that Bonds. Look at all those people who held on to Hank Aaron's first HR ticket...they are now selling them for $15 on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160141884139&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006

Now, if you're not a ticket collector, this would seem outrageous to you. However, tickets like this sell wll.

Regards, Tony