PDA

View Full Version : Don't you just hate it when you set a snipe...

Vintagedeputy
08-02-2007, 08:48 PM
because you won't be home and you dont win an auction?

I missed one today by $3. Man I hate that!

TFig27
08-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Yea, but you don't know what the other person's max bid was. You may have been off by $100

Vintagedeputy
08-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Very true.....

I had been watching this item for days and it was at a low price and it seems that someone just went crazy bumping it up in the middle of the week.........oh well

TFig27
08-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Thats the logic I use when I lose something...its makes me feel better lol

was this a one of a kind item, or will it be around again?

Vintagedeputy
08-02-2007, 09:54 PM
It was one of a kind, sort of...never saw one before.

It was a game used NL umpire shirt and autographed hat. Kind of an oddball collectible but rarely seen. I thought it would make for a nice display.

sylbry
08-03-2007, 08:54 AM
Losing is one thing. Losing by a couple pennies is another. That always bugs me. Why didn't I just make my snipe a couple cents higher.

By the way, I have a have used AL ump shirt from the 1980's. At fifteen bucks I couldn't resist.

Bryan

jayt1234
08-03-2007, 08:54 AM
There were a couple of pairs of Oregon issued Nike football cleats on Ebay, I did'nt really pay attention and missed the end of auction...A week later there was another pair on auction, but it ended while I was away on vacation over the 4th...So I set a maximum bid I assumed no one would ever touch...So I get back ready to pay, only to have lost the auction...For some reason I really wanted these cleats even more than before..I actually contacted the buyer to see if he was willing to sell the pair I lost (since he bought all three pairs) and he was willing to listen...He was going to use them in a display with a uniform...He said it did not look as good as he had hoped and did sell them to me for my asking price...I was glad I contacted him, because he said he would not have otherwise listed them for sale.

Jay

http://i18.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/a6/aa/ccfd_1.JPG

Vintagedeputy
08-03-2007, 09:06 AM
I thought that this auction was under the radar as it sat with one 9.99 bid for days and then all of a sudden was over $50. I went as high as $75 and still lost and that was way more than I wanted to pay.

Oh well, to the victor go the spoils!

bigtime59
08-03-2007, 10:08 AM
On the one hand, I do hate it...on the other hand, I don't get involved in bidding wars any more. If I'm "overpaying" I know it going in. It doesn't get to be an ego thing.
And I've lost dozens of auctions by...$1.00!

kylehess10
08-03-2007, 12:15 PM
I always use sniping, even if I'm right here at my computer. I just love how it can bid for you 10 seconds before an auction ends. But I've still lost a ton of auctions from sniping, most of the time it's by just a few cents!