PDA

View Full Version : Barry Bonds - No More Fakes!

3arod13
07-31-2007, 08:14 PM
Barry Bonds may not be well liked by many, but I found he's doing is part to help collectors ensure they don't by his fake autographs.

I was interested in an autographed Barry Bonds card, but the signature didn't look right to me. I searched the web and found Barry Bonds website. I was amazed that his website offers FREE authentication for his signed cards, before you make the purchase:

http://mlb.mlb.com/players/bonds_barry/store/sigandholo.jsp

I emailed a scan of the card, and I was right..the signature wasn't good. I was amazed this service was FREE. What was really great was I received an email within an hour. In today's hobby, you can't say hi to someone without it costing you an arm and a leg.

Props to Barry Bonds and those on his webiste who provide such a wonderful FREE service.

Heck, I've emailed arod on his website more than 100 times, and never even received an acknowledgement email.

Regards, Tony

3arod13
07-31-2007, 08:16 PM
Boy, I have to proof my work before I hit the submit reply button:

Barry Bonds may not be well-liked by many, but I found he's doing HIS part to help collectors ensure they don't BUY his fake autographs.

R. C. Walker
07-31-2007, 09:58 PM
For the sake of argument, is it probable no matter what you send in to the site they would say it’s a forgery? The ones running the “authentication” service might want people to think the only legitimate autograph is only purchased through the Barry Bonds website.

It would be interesting if someone sent in a legitimate autographed, non BB website, no hologram stickered item for authentication.

TFig27
07-31-2007, 10:07 PM
do you really think bonds is doing this to help collectors? or to ensure that you buy autographs directly from him?

YankeeChowda
07-31-2007, 10:09 PM
bonds is a waste.. i cannot and will not give him credit for anything, except being a racist sob

David
08-01-2007, 12:28 AM
As he sells his own autographs, it's in his personal financial benefit to rid the market of forgeries. So the autograph opinion can be a service that benefits both Bonds and the collectors. Neither has an interest in forgeries selling.

3arod13
08-01-2007, 01:52 AM
For the sake of argument, is it probable no matter what you send in to the site they would say it’s a forgery? The ones running the “authentication” service might want people to think the only legitimate autograph is only purchased through the Barry Bonds website.

It would be interesting if someone sent in a legitimate autographed, non BB website, no hologram stickered item for authentication.

As stated, by the comments to date, not many like Bonds.

I sent a total of 5 Barry Bonds autograph pics to his website, all came back good except one. Not one time did they try or ask me to buy or view any of their Barry Bonds autographed items from their website.

As David stated, "As he sells his own autographs, it's in his personal financial benefit to rid the market of forgeries. So the autograph opinion can be a service that benefits both Bonds and the collectors. Neither has an interest in forgeries selling," I'd say that's accurate.

Regards, Tony

aeneas01
08-01-2007, 03:53 AM
3arod13:

i'm with you and feel that bonds, through his website, is offering a very valuable service - further, like you, i find it very admirable that this service is offered free of charge. as far as the site being self-serving is concerned (as some seem to suggest), this would make sense if the site charged a ridiculous fee for the service or if the site's policy was that it could not authenticate any sigs purchased or obtained from any other source - but as far as i can tell, that's just not the case. imo the site is mutually benficial, not self-serving.

the hatred that so many seem to feel towards bonds (which, fwiw, i find hysterical) is simply amazing and will obviously prevent many from ever giving the guy the benefit of the doubt.

3arod13
08-01-2007, 04:36 AM
3arod13:

i'm with you and feel that bonds, through his website, is offering a very valuable service - further, like you, i find it very admirable that this service is offered free of charge. as far as the site being self-serving is concerned (as some seem to suggest), this would make sense if the site charged a ridiculous fee for the service or if the site's policy was that it could not authenticate any sigs purchased or obtained from any other source - but as far as i can tell, that's just not the case. imo the site is mutually benficial, not self-serving.

the hatred that so many seem to feel towards bonds (which, fwiw, i find hysterical) is simply amazing and will obviously prevent many from ever giving the guy the benefit of the doubt.

Well said, and thanks for your comments.

David
08-01-2007, 01:40 PM
eBay encourages athletes to look for fakes, and Reggie Jackson's company does this. So, while Bond's free website service is a new idea, famous athletes looking out for forged signatures is not new.

kingjammy24
08-01-2007, 01:57 PM
will obviously prevent many from ever giving the guy the benefit of the doubt.

hello aeneas,

what doubt? bonds fully admitted to using the "clear", the clear is a steroid, ipso facto bonds admitted to using steroids. what about bonds is in doubt?

rudy.

aeneas01
08-02-2007, 12:59 AM
hello aeneas,

what doubt? bonds fully admitted to using the "clear", the clear is a steroid, ipso facto bonds admitted to using steroids. what about bonds is in doubt?

rudy.

a little help kingjammy24 - i stated:

"the hatred that so many seem to feel towards bonds (which, fwiw, i find hysterical) is simply amazing and will obviously prevent many from ever giving the guy the benefit of the doubt."

so how did you arrive at steroids from that? or does any mention of bonds, pro or con, imply a steroid debate?

David
08-02-2007, 01:54 AM
I am by far no Bonds fan, but give him the benefit of the doubt on this autograph opinion website.

aeneas01
08-02-2007, 04:03 AM
I am by far no Bonds fan, but give him the benefit of the doubt on this autograph opinion website.

good for you david - unfortunately, even in the sf bay area where i live and where there are many bonds supporters, it wouldn't be too hard to find someone who would immediately and blindly jump on the guilty bandwagon even if bonds was accused of so much as kicking the neighbor's cat. heck, i have friends that feel this way - they hate bonds to the core, hate the giants for keeping him around and wouldn't believe a word that came out of his mouth unless it was "yes, i was juiced and tried to cover it up". and they're not alone.

speaking of bonds-haters, what i think would be truly amazing, truly memorable, is if a bonds-hater caught the record-breaking home run ball and threw it back into the ballpark in ultimate protest. can you imagine the headlines? can you imagine a greater insult to bonds and his legacy? can you imagine a greater statement? i can't.

can you imagine a bonds-hater actually doing this? again, i can't.

3arod13
08-02-2007, 06:53 AM
speaking of bonds-haters, what i think would be truly amazing, truly memorable, is if a bonds-hater caught the record-breaking home run ball and threw it back into the ballpark in ultimate protest. can you imagine the headlines? can you imagine a greater insult to bonds and his legacy? can you imagine a greater statement? i can't.

can you imagine a bonds-hater actually doing this? again, i can't.

Anyone who would throw the ball back, needs their head examines. Yes, in this scenario, it's all about the all mighty dollar.

kingjammy24
08-02-2007, 03:14 PM
"does any mention of bonds, pro or con, imply a steroid debate?"

of course ;) or one on tax evasion, adultery, and/or cases of cranial gigantism.

aside from those, it's good that barry's helping collectors.

"can you imagine a greater insult to bonds and his legacy? can you imagine a greater statement? i can't."

actually i can. as sophia petrillo would say, picture it. some ballpark, august 2007. bonds hits #756 and it's caught by a fan in the outfield bleachers. fireworks are going off, history has been made. rather than throwing the ball back where it'd likely be given back to barry for his collection or sent to the HOF, the fan whips out a sharpie and writes "thanks to steroids" on the ball thereby permanently defacing it forever. how's that for a greater statement?

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/5255/sophialo7.jpg

rudy.