PDA

View Full Version : 1994 McGwire on eBay

boardburn
07-29-2007, 12:25 PM
Here is one to ponder. This elephant sleeve patch was used in 1993 only, right? The MLB patch is, of course, from 1994. No mention or explanation of this discrepancy on the LOA. There is mention of the jersey being a size 48, but measures out to a size 50 on the LOA.... Tom

http://cgi.ebay.com/1994-MARK-McGWIRE-GAME-USED-OAKLAND-As-JERSEY-COA_W0QQitemZ250148622615QQihZ015QQcategoryZ60597Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

whatupyos
07-29-2007, 01:12 PM
The elephant patch was used in 1994 also. only '93 and '94 was the elephant with bats crossed used. I've been an A's fan since I was 5. I know McGwire jerseys real well. I will only touch one with a team LOA. This particular jersey I believe was just on Vintage Authentics last auction that ended about a week or two ago. The seller used to be a member of the forum. I have seen so many questionable Mac jerseys over the last two years that I am staying away. I'm pretty confident that A's jerseys had 6 buttons on their front. And most of the MAC jerseys I see have 5. I could be wrong. Hope this helps.

Aaron

kingjammy24
07-29-2007, 10:07 PM
elephant with crossed bats patch was worn in 1993 and 1994.

aaron,

here are some common A's 1993 gamers. most of 5 buttons. the bottom two have 6 buttons.

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5895/oakxp2.jpg

anyway, this mcgwire sold at the last vintage authentics auction for $611.00 (incl BP).

what i find interesting is that they were bought from VA and then flipped on ebay. usually it's the other way around.

rudy.

whatupyos
07-29-2007, 10:36 PM
Rudy,

Do all the pictures that you show all have team LOA's with them? Because that would mean more to me. Are all supplied photos of the 1993 variety? I have seen lot of 1993 McGwire jerseys in the last year and all are suspect. Reason #1 being that the button was not placed in the right place from photos of Mac wearing the jersey. All the 1993's I have seen lately have the button like the first few photos. In 1993, Mac's jerseys had a button directly under the "L" in Oakland like the bottom two photos. When I see a jersey I try to match it to the player who wears it as best I can. The bottom two jerseys also have 6 buttons, like I believed they wore. I don't know where the photos came from, like I said, are they all team LOA jerseys?

Aaron

boardburn
07-30-2007, 01:59 AM
Good discussion so far, guys. I just looked at my '93 Curt Young jersey and it has five buttons. It also has a "Purchased from Oakland Athletics" stamp on the front tail (for what that is worth). Are the jerseys with a sixth button "extra length" jerseys?

Tom

TNTtoys
07-30-2007, 01:16 PM
All -- I'll start by saying that I always get a kick out of seeing a photo of a jersey I once owned...especially when it's a photo I have taken (referring to the Ron Darling road jersey #17 in Rudy's post). At 1 point I had 3 Darling jerseys in my collection and have since downsized to 2... sadly, neither of them are Mets jerseys!

On to more relevant stuff...

Aaron -- the Darling jersey in the photo was indeed acquired from the team. Not by myself, but by the former owner. He was a very big Darling collector and obtained several items of his directly from the A's. I still have one of these in my collection (I have the 95 home) and the team stamp is inside the jersey.

Tom -- I agree with you. If I had to guess why some jerseys had 6 buttons instead of 5, I would lean toward the larger sizes or added lengths...

And finally... anyone have any clue why the McGwire sold for so little at VA?

-Nick

kingjammy24
07-30-2007, 02:41 PM
aaron,

all photos from my post are of 1993 gamers. i can't speak for the other jerseys in the photos but i own the #2 and it has the "purchased from oakland athletics" stamp inside.

re: your thoughts on mcgwire jerseys.
i'm sure many (most?) of the mcgwire jerseys out there are suspect. as well, if i were after a certain players' gamer from a specific year and every single pic i found of them from that year had a button in a certain place, then i too would only seek out jerseys with that specific button placement. however, this isn't to say that i'd then use this single example to postulate some larger theory that all of the teams jerseys that year must've therefore also had that specific button placement. can you provide any sort of evidence that most (or even many) of the non-mcgwire gamers had 6-buttons in 1993/94?

in my experience, atypical button placements legitimately occur sometimes. the thing is, they're anomalies. for example, here's a pic of winfield in 1992. notice the button inside the "O". it's atypical and rare. an overwhelming majority of the jays gamers that year did not have buttons inside the "O". to the right of it is a "1992 world series dave winfield gamer" sold by lelands. the button placement on the lelands' winfield is the typical placement.

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4349/winfieldnp5.jpg

i've got every inning of the 1992 world series on dvd and in every single at-bat of the entire series, winfield is wearing a jersey with the button inside the "O". therefore, if i were seeking a 1992 winfield gamer specifically, i'd only consider one with the atypical button placement. however, this isn't to say that the lelands jersey is a "fake". in fact, i believe lelands' winfield is a completely legit game-issue. i firmly believe it hung in the jays' clubhouse. (it just wasn't worn in the world series). as well, i wouldn't take the atypical winfield photo and think that it was in fact typical.

rudy.

whatupyos
07-30-2007, 02:53 PM
Rudy,

Thanks for the reply. That all makes sense. I don't know for a fact if all the 1993 A's jerseys had the button placed directly under the "L" like the McGwire. I guess it could be possible that some of the jerseys had different button placement. I'd think they'd all be the same for that year. I don't know why in one year half the team would have buttons placed differently and half wouldn't as an example, but anything is possible. thats why Iwas trying to think out load and see what others might think because perhaps someone else would know more than I. I believe I had found a Rickey Henderson, however with the button placed just like the McGwire, (under the "L").

Aaron

zonker
07-30-2007, 05:48 PM
i'll tell you why tnt cause i got shanked! this was the jersey i was bidding on and someone else we know who now , bid on it and won somehow 3 1/2 hrs. after the lot closed never got a responce from va. but i would have gone higher! but like i said the lot was closed with no bid's for all that time and instead of getting the jersey i got the shank! with no explaination's! personnally i think there some good o'l boy action going on at some of these auction houses. bidding ended at a 10:oo pm with no bids placed to extend it . i watched for over 2 hours on some of the other stuff where bidding was going on and finally went to bed about 12:15 am and i woke and found the winning bid was placed at 1:25am what bs!!!!!!!! i'll never bid on anything else from va.