PDA

View Full Version : Canseco has info on A-Rod

Eric
07-29-2007, 10:28 AM
Here's the latest from the world of Jose Canseco

unday, July 29, 2007
A-Rod has no comment on Canseco's words about new book
ESPN.com news services

When Jose Canseco wrote "Juiced" in 2005, he brought the issue of steroids in Major League Baseball to the forefront. Now, Canseco has another book due this fall and he promises some juicy info on Alex Rodriguez.
Canseco told WEEI-Radio in Boston on Friday that he has "other stuff" on the Yankees slugger, who he called a "hypocrite" who "was not all he appeared to be."
When asked if A-Rod had used steroids, Canseco told WEEI, "Wait and see."
"Jose has information about A-Rod and the Yankees that will be in the book. But, I am not sure if Jose is willing to disclose it at this point," Canseco's lawyer, Robert O. Saunooke, told The New York Times.
In Baltimore for the Yankees' game against the Orioles on Saturday night, Rodriguez told reporters that he hadn't heard Canseco's comments about him. "And I have no comment," he told the newspaper.
Canseco has shared names of more players who used steroids with investigators looking into the issue for Major League Baseball. George Mitchell, the former Senate majority leader, was appointed by commissioner Bud Selig in 2006 to head the league's investigation into steroids in the sport.
Saunooke told The Times that Canseco planned to meet again with Mitchell and and his investigators in the next month.
Canseco attracted the attention of Congress with his autobiography, "Juiced," in which the former slugger named several players, including himself, Rafael Palmeiro and Mark McGwire, who he said had used steroids.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=2953302&type=story

jon_8_us
07-29-2007, 11:04 AM
Here's the latest from the world of Jose Canseco

unday, July 29, 2007
A-Rod has no comment on Canseco's words about new book
ESPN.com news services

When Jose Canseco wrote "Juiced" in 2005, he brought the issue of steroids in Major League Baseball to the forefront. Now, Canseco has another book due this fall and he promises some juicy info on Alex Rodriguez.
Canseco told WEEI-Radio in Boston on Friday that he has "other stuff" on the Yankees slugger, who he called a "hypocrite" who "was not all he appeared to be."
When asked if A-Rod had used steroids, Canseco told WEEI, "Wait and see."
"Jose has information about A-Rod and the Yankees that will be in the book. But, I am not sure if Jose is willing to disclose it at this point," Canseco's lawyer, Robert O. Saunooke, told The New York Times.
In Baltimore for the Yankees' game against the Orioles on Saturday night, Rodriguez told reporters that he hadn't heard Canseco's comments about him. "And I have no comment," he told the newspaper.
Canseco has shared names of more players who used steroids with investigators looking into the issue for Major League Baseball. George Mitchell, the former Senate majority leader, was appointed by commissioner Bud Selig in 2006 to head the league's investigation into steroids in the sport.
Saunooke told The Times that Canseco planned to meet again with Mitchell and and his investigators in the next month.
Canseco attracted the attention of Congress with his autobiography, "Juiced," in which the former slugger named several players, including himself, Rafael Palmeiro and Mark McGwire, who he said had used steroids.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=2953302&type=story

It wouldn't suprise me if Arod was implicated in steroid use.His body growth is comparable with others that have been accused.Basically anyone could have been using performance enhancers at this point.A darn shame if you ask me....
jon

whatupyos
07-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Also, just because someone is small doesn't mean they are not on steroids either. Most people think its just the big guys. It could be true, and it could be false. The is no 100% way to be sure unless one tests positive and or you witness it with your own eyes. Smaller built people can be on the drug too and not show it. So unless you witness an individual, or they test positive, its unfair to cast judgemnt. People love to point fingers and say this, that or the others. But who are you to judge?!?! Just food for thought in general.

Aaron

David
07-29-2007, 02:53 PM
Long distance runners and cyclists use steroids and other drugs, and they're skinny dudes. So steroids are used for reasons other than bulk and strength. In fact, one of the benefits of steroids is you can train longer, have shorter recovery time, etc-- which will benefit both a weight lifter and a marathoner.

Carlevv
07-29-2007, 07:27 PM
Canseco is a clown and a rat. I have no idea why he keeps opening up his mouth about others? I wish he would just go away with his money hungry aligations. How can anyone still want his game used stuff? He's a poor excuse of a man and a ballplayer. Well, a good ballplayer but he's a tired act. I have no idea how he can feel safe walking down the street. Go away you bitter money hungry loser. O.K. i feel better now.

richpick
07-29-2007, 07:49 PM
Canseco is a clown and a rat. I have no idea why he keeps opening up his mouth about others? I wish he would just go away with his money hungry aligations. How can anyone still want his game used stuff? He's a poor excuse of a man and a ballplayer. Well, a good ballplayer but he's a tired act. I have no idea how he can feel safe walking down the street. Go away you bitter money hungry loser. O.K. i feel better now.

For the most part hardly anyone believed Canseco when his book came out in 2005 and low and behold the deeper people looked into his allegations the more they rang true. No one wants to believe that a player they are a fan of took steroids. But, in this era everyone is under a microscope. I remember not long ago the Bonds haters were calling for the haters to cheer for Arod so he could smash through the record to wipe away Bonds now if Arod is quilty of steroids what do we do?

b.heagy
07-29-2007, 08:10 PM
Root for Griffey Jr ! :D

For the most part hardly anyone believed Canseco when his book came out in 2005 and low and behold the deeper people looked into his allegations the more they rang true. No one wants to believe that a player they are a fan of took steroids. But, in this era everyone is under a microscope. I remember not long ago the Bonds haters were calling for the haters to cheer for Arod so he could smash through the record to wipe away Bonds now if Arod is quilty of steroids what do we do?

David
07-29-2007, 08:26 PM
In the context of blabbing information, the term rat is only applied to someone who is telling the truth. Someone making up stories is a liar and maybe some other choice words, but not a rat.

JasonM33
07-30-2007, 02:22 AM
I don''t know what to think about all this. I have been on the record saying that I don't really care that much about the steroid issue. I wish that all the players were clean but since they aren't I've pretty much accepted it.

As far as Canseco naming names, I don't really respect that. Although, his book only had the impact that it did because of the other players he named. "Juiced" brought the issue to a head and may be partially responsible for fixing the problem in the end. If he didn't name names people would have been able to continue to dismiss him and the whole steroid issue. Canseco took steroids? So what? Big surprise, blah blah blah. Now people have to accept reality that Canseco wasn't the only one and he wasn't just making up a bunch of baloney to sell books.

I don't really see a reason for him to write another book except to gloat about being proven right and to throw more people under the bus. I'll definetly buy a copy of his new one even still. Canseco may be a rat to some but one thing he isn't is a liar.

-Jason M

reed1216
07-30-2007, 02:34 AM
I don't think anyone can conclusively say Canseco isn't a liar. It appears that he didn't lie in his first book, but I think we have to look at his motives and the overall picture here.

Canseco's agenda is to sell books. Of course there were a lot of players to throw under the bus with the first book and he obviously gained a great deal of credibility by implicating the players he did. However, I have to ask myself, why didn't he implicate ARod in the first book?? ARod is as high profile a player as anyone, with the exception of Bonds. Why was this witheld then and is being introduced now?? Could it be to sell another round of books???

Now, I must confess to being an ARod homer. I love the guy, own a game worn jersey of his (a MeiGray certified and photomatched Rangers jersey) and I'm a huge Yankee fan. I don't think I'm alone in hoping he breaks the home run record at some point and is one day viewed as the greatest who ever played. I hope he is also viewed as someone that didn't need, or take, steroids. I guess we'll have to see how all this unfolds...

LWMM
07-30-2007, 04:39 AM
Canseco's agenda is to sell books. Of course there were a lot of players to throw under the bus with the first book and he obviously gained a great deal of credibility by implicating the players he did. However, I have to ask myself, why didn't he implicate ARod in the first book?? ARod is as high profile a player as anyone, with the exception of Bonds. Why was this witheld then and is being introduced now?? Could it be to sell another round of books???

That's what I've been wondering, too: why wait until now? My guess is that it's partly so he can have another huge name to sell another book, but also partly because he has more credibility in naming him.

In 'Juiced', most or all of the players he named used to play with him: McGwire (As), Palmeiro (Rangers), Tejada (As) etc. This allowed him to be in the locker room or clubhouse when they shot up, and later write about it with first hand knowledge. These names, then, were "safe"; he could rely on them to hold up, thus providing him with credibility.

Alex Rodriguez is a deviation from that pattern, in that Canseco never played with him. Most likely, then, he didn't see Rodriguez juice or have much time to talk with him about steroids. As such, any information is likely, at best, secondhand.

Before 'Juiced', any information on him (Rodriguez) would probably be thrown aside as a lousy attempt to make money. Credibility in hand, however, Canseco is enabled to make accusations without as much evidence, yet achieve the same (or close to the same) results (i.e. people believing him).

Of course, this is assuming that Canseco is talking about steroids. For all we know he could simply have new, revealing info about that stripper.

allstarsplus
07-30-2007, 08:19 AM
My guess is that it's partly so he can have another huge name to sell another book, but also partly because he has more credibility in naming him.

I was thinking the same thing.

woodbat
07-30-2007, 09:06 AM
For you folks interested in Jose Canseco, he will be doing a show in St Louis this fall. Here is the info of him and others that will be doing these shows:
Well August 5th is our next show. At Two Hearts we feature:
Denny McLain- Mr. McLain has had an interesting life and career. He is baseball’s last 30 game winner, going 31-6 in 1968 for the World Champion Tigers. He won the Cy Young Award in 1968 and 1969 along with the 1968 AL MVP. We hope to have copies of his new book available at the signing.
Willie Wilson- Mr. Wilson is a rare signer on the show circuit. This all-star, batting champ and stolen base leader also was a member of the 1985 Royals World Series Champion Team.With some of our dealers attending the National convention that weekend, we have several new dealers displaying for the first time. Tables are still available if any dealer is interested in setting up. We are still accepting orders for this show.
Also that same weekend is the Football Hall of Fame induction. Be sure to view our homepage to view ways to obtain your autograph from Roger Wehrli, Class of 2007.
Jeff Lahti has been rescheduled to our September 9th show that will also feature Gene Tenace and John Fulgham.
October 7th Two Hearts show features former Cardinals Donovan Osborne and Dave LaPoint.
We have been claiming to be close to announcing the lineup for the October 26th-28th show. While not ready, we are closer. We can say that we have contracts with Hall of Famers Johnny Bench, Jim Bunning, Dennis Eckersley, Carlton Fisk, Tony Gwynn, Gordie Howe, Fergie Jenkins and Stan Musial. We also have signed Jose and Ozzie Canseco, John Candeleria, Jack Clark, Bucky Dent, Marc Hill, Frank Howard and Minnie Minoso. We are still negotiating with several other players including both baseball and football Hall of Famers. Additionally we are working on a Premium package for the public along with some very attractive guests and pricing for our Friday evening guests.

For questions view the site at www.stlsportscollectors.com (http://www.stlsportscollectors.com/), email us at info@stlsportscollectors.com or phone us at 618-281-6014.
As always thanks for your support.
Dave
The shows are always great, if you are going to be in the St Louis area, would do you well to go. You can email Dave, check out his mail order procedures, and get on his web for future events.

Don
woodbat

cohibasmoker
07-30-2007, 09:09 AM
Steroids, steroids, steroids. That’s all I keep hearing. Hey, don’t get me wrong I’ll be the last guy who will defend any of these guys but isn’t it about time we get some proof other than hearsay and innuendo? I reminds of mob-mentality.

As for Canseco – now there’s a real credible guy.

Jim

Carlevv
07-30-2007, 10:44 AM
I can tell you all what Canseco is going to say about AROD has nothing to do with steroids. I cant go into this any further but trust me on this one. AROD is clean. Jose feels like he's the MLB police right now so he's digging up anything and everything on guys right now. Pretty much he's a reporter just reporting things these days. As far as him being credible...... Yes he did write a book and talk about other guys but he lied a lot in that book too. Some was fiction and some was non-fiction. I happen to be friends with a lot of players and worked 10 years in a MLB clubhouse to know he's a liar to some extent. Jose is like Curt Schilling, he cant stop talking because people arent talking about him anymore. Desperate times call for desperate measures and Jose is desperate for dollars.

richpick
07-30-2007, 01:24 PM
I can tell you all what Canseco is going to say about AROD has nothing to do with steroids. I cant go into this any further but trust me on this one. AROD is clean.

Unless you were around Arod 24-7 how can you be certain that Arod is clean. Even if you were in a MLB clubhouse Arod could have taken steroids somewhere outside of the MLB clubhouse?

3arod13
07-30-2007, 01:48 PM
For myself, if this could be true, it would truly knock the wind out of me as an Arod fan and collector. Arod has always been known as being obsessed with working out, and I always believed his physical shape, at least, was from working out so much. He has alwasy put up good numbers, so it's not like I could find an all of a sudden increase in his numbers over the years. Could it be possible? Sure.

Nobody has been proven guilty of steriod use. However, just like McGwire not speaking (could show guilt), Sosa using an interpreter (give me a break), etc., this discussion will never end because of players actions like this.

I knew someone very close to Juan Gonzalez and believe his steriod use to be true. However, I wasn't there, so I can't say for sure myself. But I'm confident in the information I received.

We all know steriod use was/is happening. However, there's been no proof.

As far as Jose Canseco goes, and I'll throw in Brian Bosworth who talked about drug use within the team AFTER LEAVING college, his sole purpose was to payback MLB (says he was blackballed from playing again) and to make money. That's the bottom line. He's not a good guy and I don't have any respect for him. Including his numbers, as he admitted to using steroids, SO THERE IS YOUR PROVEN GUILTY PLAYER!

It kills me when I hear people praise Jose for doing what he did. I would have praised him if he did this during his playing days, with the sole purpose of cleaning up baseball.

Regards, Tony

kingjammy24
07-30-2007, 07:09 PM
if the information is true, then the motives are irrelevant.
similarly, if the information is true, then whether or not you'd share a beer with canseco is also irrelevant.

a part of me wonders what the motives are of people who condemn the information before hearing it. perhaps they've got a lot of money tied up in arod items and are weeping at the possibility of it going the route bonds memorabilia has gone.

the funny thing about canseco and his book is that none of the players he mentioned ever sued him for libel. it's pretty strange that he publically and explicitly wrote that specific individuals committed felonies and although they could well afford top-notch legal representation, not a single one of them sued canseco in an effort to protect their name and image from which they derived substantial revenue.

rudy.

byergo
07-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Canseco will go down in history as one of the biggest figures in baseball history. Love him or hate him.

He was a tremendous, exciting player who blended breathtaking speed and power and was on the verge of being a Hall of Famer, and he more than any other individual blew the steroid scandal wide open.

3arod13
07-31-2007, 03:18 AM
Canseco will go down in history as one of the biggest figures in baseball history. Love him or hate him.

He was a tremendous, exciting player who blended breathtaking speed and power and was on the verge of being a Hall of Famer, and he more than any other individual blew the steroid scandal wide open.

Breathtaking speed (steroids)
Power (steriods)

What type player would Jose have been if he didn't use steroids?

Blew the steroid scandal wide open (if you recall, Jose admitted to not only using steroids, but educating many players of how to use steroids, supplying them info on how to obtain them, and even assisting them in taking them)

How people can praise Jose Canseco is beyond me.

reed1216
07-31-2007, 04:08 AM
kingjammy- I actually agree with some of what you're saying. I would be disappointed if ARod has been using illegal substances. My feelings would be based as much on the fact that I have been pulling for him for a long time, as much as it would be because I own one of his jerseys. I don't think that's a bad thing to admit.

On the flip side, I don't think I am condemning anything. In fact, Canseco hasn't accused ARod of anything yet. Nor has been either brought forth any information to condemn or suggested what this information would pertain to. He merely stated that he had SOMETHING on him. I would suggest that those that are already condemning ARod for steroid use, based on what Canseco has said to date might want to reserve judgement until there is something to be judged.

3arod13
07-31-2007, 04:31 AM
kingjammy- I actually agree with some of what you're saying. I would be disappointed if ARod has been using illegal substances. My feelings would be based as much on the fact that I have been pulling for him for a long time, as much as it would be because I own one of his jerseys. I don't think that's a bad thing to admit.

You're right. It's not a bad thing that finding out your favorite player/hero did something wrong and that it would not only affect your outlook about that player, but also affect your collectibles that you invested your hard earned money in. Because of Arod's performance, his collectibles demand high dollars. So yes, both sides of the fence matter.

For me, what impresses me about Arod is he 's a hardworking player, always trying to approve his strength and ability, and whose power and performance is of his own natural ability. To find that he was taking any kind of drug to enhance that performance, would bother me. To find that his ability wasn't all natural, again, would just bother me.

3arod13
07-31-2007, 04:35 AM
Sorry, improve his strength