PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help picking out a GU jersey

Sheffield11
07-28-2007, 12:16 AM
Hi, i am trying to decide which GU jersey i should buy. here is my list of possible options. please let me know your comments towards each player and who you think will be the best to buy. they are all close in price so money doesn't make a difference.

Johnny Gomes
Jorge Cantu
Brad Penny
Nick Johnson

dodgersfan
07-28-2007, 04:01 AM
I would say the Brad Penny because he is going to win the 2007 Cy Young award.

13-1 so far this season!

Rudy

Vintagedeputy
07-28-2007, 09:31 AM
Brad Penny is just over being a .500 pitcher aside from this season. I do not see this as being a breakout year of a hall of fame career for him.

My advice? you could buy the Penny now, and wait until the end of the season. If he has an awesome season, get that jersey into an auction and make sure that the reserve is at least what you paid for it. YOu could double your money. I do not see Penny as a long term investment though, imho.

As much as I love Nick Johnson, I dont think that he is going to be the major power hitter and dominant force in the NL that I as a Nats fan would hope for.

Cantu had an awesome season in '05 but hasnt produced like that since and I think he may be hurt now although I dont follow him regularly enough to know.

I think that Gomes has a good HR/AB ratio. I like him and have heard good things about him. I'd take a chance on him.

Jim

Sheffield11
07-28-2007, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, anyone else have any thoughts?

LWMM
07-28-2007, 02:53 PM
Cantu has shown no real return to his 05 season, and at this point is going between AAA and the majors with some frequency.

Gomes, much as I like him, is somewhat one-dimensional---hits home runs, strikes out a lot. His job also isn't guaranteed at the moment, and, like Cantu, has been between AAA and Tampa this year.

Johnson, while injured at the moment, has been extremely consistent---.280 average with an OBP of over .400.

Penny has also been solid, generally keeping his ERA under 4. Moreover, he is having a great season. He is also the only one of the four that hasn't been injured recently, which makes picking him a lot safer (especially since the price is about the same, as you said).

Vintagedeputy
07-29-2007, 12:15 PM
If I heard correctly last night, Cantu got traded.

geoff
07-29-2007, 02:05 PM
Maybe he will be a better fit in a Reds Uniform.