PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals GU Bases on MLB.com auctions

richpick
07-26-2007, 09:36 PM
What is with the Cardinals and their GU bases on MLB.com auctions. What do other teams do with their bases?

kylehess10
07-27-2007, 12:34 AM
Well every single base that I see always has the MLB hologram. Besides MLB auctions & Steiner auctions where I see bases most, I believe that most team stores also sell them. I once saw some at the Braves Clubhouse store, and I always hear about teams selling them at their fanfests and other events.

Birdbats
07-27-2007, 09:10 AM
The Cardinals used bases in 2005 with a logo celebrating Busch Stadium's final season. Good marketing move because they sold all of them. People were buying anything they could related to the old stadium, and $300-400 bases were affordable compared to most of the memorabilia that was auctioned.

They took the same approach in 2006, putting the logo for new Busch on the bases. They sold quite a few, but the demand apparently wasn't the same, considering they're still trying to sell them.

This season, they put the World Series logo on the bases. Don't know if it was slow sales or something else, but they stopped doing that in early May.

I think by now, just about everyone in St. Louis who wants a base (or at least is willing to pay $300 for one) has one. There's simply more supply than demand. A reason for the surplus, I assume, is the fact that they use three sets of bases each game. That's more than 700 bases per season, or 1,638 bases from opening day 2005 through May 9, 2007. That's why you're seeing them on MLB.com -- branching out to potential new customers.

richpick
07-27-2007, 11:50 AM
I think by now, just about everyone in St. Louis who wants a base (or at least is willing to pay $300 for one) has one. There's simply more supply than demand. A reason for the surplus, I assume, is the fact that they use three sets of bases each game.

Supply vs. Demand the Cardinals should reduce the price of the bases and blow them out!