PDA

View Full Version : MLB Certified Items

brianborsch
07-25-2007, 09:20 AM
I know common sense tells me different, but I wanted to confirm with the opinions from this board. If an item is MLB certified as being game used/worn, is there really any difference between that or a LOA/COA from the team? Which is better?

I just purchased something and that is why I am curious. Thanks!

allstarsplus
07-25-2007, 10:33 AM
The system is not 100% perfect (as we know), but I perfer the MLB #'d hologram in most cases as it is attached to the item and some of the authenticators give good descriptions and dates on the online LOA.

Team LOA's sent with a jersey/bat etc. can be misplaced or lost. There have been cases where people have copied those and "possibly" used with a bogus item as we saw with the SF Giants LOAs.

As always, do your homework. We have discussed on here dozens of times that MLB calls a jersey game used even if they player never got into the game or the item was used in BP.

Some people don't like the holograms as they detract from the item so in that case I guess a LOA would be preferable.

Andrew

kylehess10
07-26-2007, 12:47 AM
If an item is MLB certified as being game used/worn, is there really any difference between that or a LOA/COA from the team? Which is better?

I believe that if an item is MLB Authenticated, then that means it went from the player directly into the hands of the authenticator, so that's the best way to know if something is real. I saw video before of the manager of a team bringing line-up cards right after the game to a guy waiting to put the holograms on right away. Plus, MLB Authentication will sometimes tell you the exact date when the item was used, and with some memorabilia I've seen, it can even tell you what exact inning an item is from. Team LOA's only let you know that it came direct from the team, it doesn't give as much info as the MLB hologram will give you.

brianborsch
07-27-2007, 12:29 AM
Do you know if the holograms tell you who wore the jersey? I knoe it will pull up dates.

kylehess10
07-27-2007, 12:32 AM
Do you know if the holograms tell you who wore the jersey? I knoe it will pull up dates.

Ofcoarse.....I've never seen it NOT have it before

camarokids
07-27-2007, 12:26 PM
Of coarse.....I've never seen it NOT have it before

I think parts of the authentication are totally screwed up !

I am still trying to resolve the issue w/ the Josh Paul Game used Batting Helmet BB-485074

At first it wasn't even listed , then it was a team issued bat and I just checked and now it is a ONLY a team issued batting helmet .

I guess I have to call the clowns AGAIN !

Also the TBTC helmet I bought in 2006 , one of the holograms wasn't place properly so you can't read all the numbers . I will just p*ss myself off more if I keep thinking about it !

I guess it comes down to the authenticator .....