PDA

View Full Version : I still don't get it - such a waste cutting sigs

3arod13
07-25-2007, 04:49 AM
I still don't get the interest in these cards. A cut from an 8x10...a check...and a bad arod signature, and it's at $1,000+ with 4 days to go. Just don't get it. I have better things to spend $1,000+ on that something like this that won't hold its value in the future.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mantle-DiMaggio-Alex-Rodriguez-Tri-Signers-Cut-Auto-2-3_W0QQitemZ230155547018QQihZ013QQcategoryZ149905QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ahuff
07-25-2007, 07:42 AM
I guess I can understand your thoughts. I remember, way back in my school days, the girls not understanding the interest in cards. We knew we could sell or trade them. However, they said "it is just paper".

I believe any sports collectible holds no intrinsic value. Therefore, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay. As of now, I guess this "piece of paper" is worth over $1,000. They same can be said of our hobby. Several years ago, I remember people asking well over $1,000 for Helton, Halladay and Delgado items. I just tried to sell mine for $500, with no takers.

33bird
07-25-2007, 12:43 PM
I agree and we have discussed this before, but it'll never stop now because people keep paying insane prices for them. I have a real 1980-81 rookie card of Bird/Dr.J/Magic-you know the one-in NM/MT signed perfectly at shows by all three and authenticated by James Spence to boot. It's probably about a 1/1-I've never seen another. Anyway, if upper deck did a reprint of the card with 3 cut autographs and put 1/1 or 1/5 on it-it would probably for sure out sell my card-probably would go for double. Even though mine's a real nice vintage rookie card, with 3 perfect signatures signed at shows, and authenticated by JSA. Doesn't make any sense but that's how dumb autograph collectors are. Just my 2 cents.
Greg

David
07-25-2007, 12:59 PM
Just because it is worth $1,000 today, doesn't mean it will be worth $1,000 ten years from now.

3arod13
07-25-2007, 01:21 PM
I agree and we have discussed this before, but it'll never stop now because people keep paying insane prices for them. I have a real 1980-81 rookie card of Bird/Dr.J/Magic-you know the one-in NM/MT signed perfectly at shows by all three and authenticated by James Spence to boot. It's probably about a 1/1-I've never seen another. Anyway, if upper deck did a reprint of the card with 3 cut autographs and put 1/1 or 1/5 on it-it would probably for sure out sell my card-probably would go for double. Even though mine's a real nice vintage rookie card, with 3 perfect signatures signed at shows, and authenticated by JSA. Doesn't make any sense but that's how dumb autograph collectors are. Just my 2 cents.
Greg

Wow! I'd love to see that card. Wanna sell it?

33bird
07-25-2007, 01:36 PM
It's coming back from JSA. Bird signed it thru a private signing with Schwartz Sports; Dr. J just barely signed it this month at a CSA show; and, Magic signed it at last years National in Anaheim. I really didn't need to get it authenticated, but it only cost 20.00 and that included getting it encapsulated, so I figured if I ever try and sell it, it would just sell for that much more with the JSA. Anyway, I might try and sell it before too long, because I have a 1976 Game used Tony Perez bat that a guy says he'll sell me come October, so maybe then. I'll post a picture on here when it arrives.
Greg

richpick
07-26-2007, 07:22 PM
Baseball card companies have been trying to outdue each other for years. I believe the outcome years from now will be a glut of autographed special cards which will drive down the prices overall of these special insert cards.