PDA

View Full Version : The Phillies remember the Pope-just ask Lampson!

hblakewolf
01-19-2006, 09:06 PM
Forum Readers-

Just when I thought I had seen about every type of blunder on letters of authentication (my favorite subject!), this is by far the best!

As most collectors know, the Phillies wore a sleeve patch in 2004, remembering the passing of both Tug McGraw and Paul Owens. The current Broadway Rick auction features a Pat Burrell 2004 home jersey, with this patch. On the Lampson LOA, the following is noted, "The right sleeve sports dual patches. An elliptical shaped patch honoring the opening of the new stadium, and a circular patch in memoriam of Tug McGraw and the Pope".

There is no doubt that Lampson is referencing the passing of the Pope, not Paul Owens, who had the nickname of "The Pope".

http://bid.strikezoneauctions.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=625961&_UserReference=7F000001477C629F36F57A54663E43D042F A

At least it's worth a good laugh!

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

trsent
01-21-2006, 01:53 PM
On the Lampson LOA, the following is noted, "The right sleeve sports dual patches. An elliptical shaped patch honoring the opening of the new stadium, and a circular patch in memoriam of Tug McGraw and the Pope".

There is no doubt that Lampson is referencing the passing of the Pope, not Paul Owens, who had the nickname of "The Pope".

Let's figure this one out, the father to a country music legend and the father to the Catholic world?

Also, I didn't know Paul Owens had the nickname "The Pope" but I do remember Don Paul when he pitched for The Chicago White Sox was nicknamed "The Pope". Why? I don't know.

soxwin1
01-21-2006, 10:36 PM
White Sox / angels catcher Don Paul nickname " Pope" was for former Pope John Paul.

trsent
01-22-2006, 04:47 AM
White Sox / angels catcher Don Paul nickname " Pope" was for former Pope John Paul.

I miss Ken Harrelson, the king of nicknames. When I lived in Chicago, I would never miss a broadcast of him and Tom "Wimpy" Paciorek. They were my favorite team ever. Harrelson and Darin Jackson?

The only good thing I remember about "DJ" is he shared a rookie card with Mark (or is it Marc, nah...) Grace.