PDA

View Full Version : Pinetar / bat question

kingjammy24
07-22-2007, 07:20 PM
when it's fresh, pinetar is an amber color. when you look at old bats, the pine tar has turned black.

1) what's caused the pinetar to turn black? is it simply dirt that's been rubbed in or does pinetar naturally turn black as it ages?

2) if pinetar naturally turns black over time, how long (approx) does it take to go from brown to black?

3) has anyone ever seen a legit gamer that was used 10+ yrs ago that had amber colored pinetar?

4) if a bat was used 10+ yrs ago, should the pinetar have necessarily turned black?

thx,

rudy.

jon_8_us
07-23-2007, 07:35 AM
when it's fresh, pinetar is an amber color. when you look at old bats, the pine tar has turned black.

1) what's caused the pinetar to turn black? is it simply dirt that's been rubbed in or does pinetar naturally turn black as it ages?

2) if pinetar naturally turns black over time, how long (approx) does it take to go from brown to black?

3) has anyone ever seen a legit gamer that was used 10+ yrs ago that had amber colored pinetar?

4) if a bat was used 10+ yrs ago, should the pinetar have necessarily turned black?

thx,

rudy.

Here is a pic of a 1989 Sheffield bat with great use were the pine tar is amber still.
jon

joecoco
07-23-2007, 07:56 AM
hi all-
from my experiences, it can turn black for a variety of reasons. but recall that there is the "traditional" pitch pine tar and then the moto stick. both tend to pick up dirt, but i find that the stick turns darker easier. also, a lot of the black color that you see mixed in with the tar can also be from the players batting gloves. see for example a lot of the edgar martinez bats out there. although he did go from natural tar to the stickum, later in career he would use stickum all over bat, which is naturally clear to brownish in color, but would turn to black from his batting gloves. so to sum up my ramble, it is a mix of the dirt (clay) and color from batting gloves. - joe

allstarsplus
07-23-2007, 08:24 AM
hi all-
from my experiences, it can turn black for a variety of reasons. but recall that there is the "traditional" pitch pine tar and then the moto stick. both tend to pick up dirt, but i find that the stick turns darker easier. also, a lot of the black color that you see mixed in with the tar can also be from the players batting gloves. joe

I agree with Joe and have seen bats from the same player that exhibit both colors and it is the surface of the Mota Stick that changes colors starting from a dark brown.

As far as pine tar, I have some old Soriano bats that have some of the thickest pine tar I have seen on a bat, and it hardens in dark brown like a resin.

Andrew

thomecollector
07-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Here"s An Early Thome That Is Hammered, And Covered With Thick Black Tar. Awesome !!!!:d

tym
07-24-2007, 05:24 PM
Prime example of EDDDDGAAAAARRRRR! as we say in the Northwest.

http://www.friendsofcff.com/images/baseball/the_hall/P1010900.JPG

kingjammy24
07-30-2007, 11:23 PM
some helpful info from jim caravello:

"first there have been varying types of pine tar that have been used over the years with different shades of brown - secondly - the amount applied will cause varying shades. I have bats from the 50s 60s 70s with light applications and they are brown - not black - also, some players would mix pine tar with dirt or other substances and that will cause bats to have different shades.......hope this helps - take a look at my blog on bat finishes and look at the aaron and killebrew bats - both from the early 70s - the aaron tar is brown ( lighter app ) and the killebrew is black. if you look at the killebrew where the heavier application is on the handle it is black. As you go further up the handle where the application is lighter - it turns brown - also - heavy rubbing with gloves and hands that are soiled will densify ( word ) those areas and turn them darker......."

rudy.

geoff
08-01-2007, 10:02 PM
Does anyone know if a bat with alot of pintar or moto stick on it would be okay in a plastic tube compared to a glass case.
I have both Bat Cases and bat tubes with bats with alot of pintar or motostick and I am worried that overtime my bats in the case will not be sticky compared to the other bats that are in the tubes.
Also Cracked bats that I have I am worried about putting them in the glass case because I don't want anything to happen to the wood from the bat.
Any insight on the subject.
Thanks
Geoff

Vintagedeputy
08-01-2007, 11:05 PM
geoff - I have a Jorge Posada bat from May of this year that I have been keeping in a tube and its still sticky as hell......if that helps

geoff
08-03-2007, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the imput and I also have a Posada that has alot of Pintar but is not sticky at all.