PDA

View Full Version : Any Miguel Cabrera bat experts out there?

Marlins2003
07-21-2007, 10:27 PM
Why am I finding more and more Cabrera bats with #32 written (in what appears to be white out) on both ends of the bat?

Marlins2003
07-21-2007, 10:37 PM
Doing a little looking around and I see that in 2005 Florida pitcher Travis Smith wore #32 and in 2007 Florida pitcher Justin Miller wore #32. Nobody on the team had that number in 2006.

Is there a good chance that Cabrera gave one of his Zinger bats to either of these pitchers to use as their own? And that is why I am seeing the #32 on several bats.

If so, in my opinion these are not Miguel Cabrera game used bats.

Finding photos of a pitcher batting seems to be the hardest thing to do.

Any opinions on this?

Vintagedeputy
07-21-2007, 10:43 PM

I feel your pain. I have been searching for 2 years for a photo of former Phillies pitcher Tom Underwood batting in 1977.

I wish you the best of luck.

Marlins2003
07-21-2007, 10:43 PM

I feel your pain. I have been searching for 2 years for a photo of former Phillies pitcher Tom Underwood batting in 1977.

I wish you the best of luck.

Thank you, I wish you luck as well.

Do you think that my theory may be correct?

Vintagedeputy
07-21-2007, 10:45 PM
I wouldnt disagree, you just have to do some more research on all players involved. Check ebay for past sales of his bats.

Marlins2003
07-21-2007, 11:23 PM
Someone mentioned this to me.

Is there a chance that these are Cabrera game used bats and the 32 (in white out mind you) is a model numbers? Or maybe a significant number to Cabrera?

I don't think so. I believe the #32 is the uniform number of whoever he gave the bat to to use.

What says the game used experts?

kylehess10
07-21-2007, 11:34 PM
Why am I finding more and more Cabrera bats with #32 written (in what appears to be white out) on both ends of the bat?

The "32" should be the weight of the bat I believe

Marlins2003
07-22-2007, 12:45 AM
The "32" should be the weight of the bat I believe

The most logical answer usually is the last one thought of lol

Is it common practice to write it in white out (or what appears to be white out)?

kylehess10
07-22-2007, 01:18 AM
The most logical answer usually is the last one thought of lol

Is it common practice to write it in white out (or what appears to be white out)?

Well usually when I see something written in white, it's my first instinct to believe that it is silver sharpie.

sarahsdad
07-22-2007, 09:58 AM
I have a game used Cabrera bat, Cherry colored Zinger. It is autographed by Cabrera and he added "Game Used". Nowhere on the bat is there a "32". His uniform number of 24 is written in silver sharpie on the cupped end and on the knob. Hope this helps
Sarahsdad

Marlins2003
07-22-2007, 10:22 AM
I have a game used Cabrera bat, Cherry colored Zinger. It is autographed by Cabrera and he added "Game Used". Nowhere on the bat is there a "32". His uniform number of 24 is written in silver sharpie on the cupped end and on the knob. Hope this helps
Sarahsdad

Yes, thank you.

The typical Cabrera bat, as with the many that I own, have "24" written on either the knob, the cupped barrel or both and is typically in silver sharpie.

The "32" that I keep mentioning is without a doubt written in white out or something very similar to whiteout. It' definately not a sharpie.

bscott
07-22-2007, 10:56 AM
Hope this helps clarify things a bit:

I own a game used Miguel Cabrera X-bat from 2004-2005.

The bat is well-used and well-documented. It includes a letter from Rob Steinmetz, as well as a PSA/DNA authentication letter grading the bat GU 9.5.

The knob of the bat has Cabrera's #24 written in thick silver marker. The top barrel has Cabrera's #24 written in black marker, but also has a small "32" written with a thin, silver marker to denote the weight of the bat in ounces.

The "32" on the barrel end of the bat does appear to be white, not silver, in photographs. But it is actually written in silver marker, easily discernible to the naked eye.

-b.scott.

I just re-read the LOA, and this is a quote from the PSA/DNA letter that accompanies my Miguel Cabrera bat:

"Also visible on the top barrel is the weight of the bat '32' (ounces) in silver marker."

Again, hope this helps.

sarahsdad
07-22-2007, 11:15 AM
I believe all X bats have the weight written in ounces regardless of the player. I have a Sammy Sosa game used X bat with a 33 written in silver sharpie in the cupped end. I have never seen a Cabrera Zinger bat with any other number other then his uniform number written on it. If the bat you are referring to is a Zinger then I would venture to guess that the bat was used by someone other then Cabrera. Hope this helps.
Sarahsdad

geoff
07-22-2007, 01:33 PM
My favorite bat of his I own has the weight 34 on the bottom and in Black a 24 on the cupped end on the top of the bat and is a Zinger and graded by PSA a 9.

My other bat is also a Zinger and has his number 24 written in Silver on the top cupped end.

Hope this helps

Geoff

autographedgamers
07-22-2007, 01:44 PM
The only cabrera bats that i have seen a 32 on are xbats that have a small 32 on the end of the barrell. Also, just to note i think i have only seen that on cabrera bats that were unused.

autographedgamers
07-22-2007, 08:38 PM
Heres an ortiz unused bat.
http://cgi.ebay.com/DAVID-ORTIZ-SIGNED-GAME-ISSUED-USED-BAT-BOSTON-RED-SOX_W0QQitemZ320137994869QQihZ011QQcategoryZ27261Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem