PDA

View Full Version : The NBA is done.

both-teams-played-hard
07-21-2007, 08:02 PM
With the new allegations against NBA referee, Tim Donaghy, I think professional basketball as we know it, is over. I screamed at the T.V. nonstop during the Lakers/Suns game four playoff game. I sat closer to the TV 'cause I thought my vision was falling off. The Knicks/Bulls game when Scott Skiles got ejected? Fixed. I don't think he was the only ref involved. David Stern worries about the dress code of his players, meanwhile the "fix" is on. LeBron goes to the Cavs. How convenient. Shaq goes to Orlando right after Disney World becomes their biggest corporate sponsor. Fixing games and point-shaving is much, much , much WORSE than steroids. Period. Jack Molinas is laughing in his grave. Do you trust the NBA? Have you noticed NBA players arguing with officials much more over the last 2 years? Its' a sham and it is all Bullsh*t!

otismalibu
07-21-2007, 08:15 PM
NBA officiating has been going downhill for quite some time now. When the scoring dropped off a few years back, it seemed that the commish instructed the refs to let more things go. Palming, changing pivot and blatant walks have become the norm. I still don't know WTF a jump step is supposed to be, other than a new way to travel. Two seasons ago, I was watching the Wiz play the Cavs in the playoffs. At crunch time, Lebron goes for a stroll thru the paint and tries the old Barkley hang and release. Not only did he take three steps to get there, I swear he touched down before he ever released the shot. Two violations on one play.

If you watch an 80s NBA game, it's crazy to compare what's now allowed. Really.

Yankwood
07-21-2007, 08:22 PM
NBA officiating has been going downhill for quite some time now. When the scoring dropped off a few years back, it seemed that the commish instructed the refs to let more things go. Palming, changing pivot and blatant walks have become the norm. I still don't know WTF a jump step is supposed to be, other than a new way to travel. Two seasons ago, I was watching the Wiz play the Cavs in the playoffs. At crunch time, Lebron goes for a stroll thru the paint and tries the old Barkley hang and release. Not only did he take three steps to get there, I swear he touched down before he ever released the shot. Two violations on one play.

If you watch an 80s NBA game, it's crazy to compare what's now allowed. Really.And the really sad part is ,even with all that is allowed-palming, traveling and such- these guys are still struggling to come up with 80 points a game. The NBA has been on a steep downward slide for years now. To me, it's pretty much unwatchable. It's a shame too because it used to be such a great spectator sport.

both-teams-played-hard
07-21-2007, 09:02 PM
This is a PDF file so it will download to your harddrive...but it is worth the read.
http://www.stanford.edu/~jmg52/NBA%20Analysis/JGibbs%20NBA%20Analysis.pdf

Vintagedeputy
07-21-2007, 09:35 PM
I'm probably in the minority here but I for one would be happy to see basketball go.

I love baseball and football and I can live with hockey because quite frankly, I love a good barroom brawl but basketball does zero for me. There's too much of a gangster mentality and thugery for my liking. The sport just never appealed to me.

I'm prepared to take the impending attacks now :)

camarokids
07-21-2007, 10:00 PM
One of the reasons I never really followed the NBA was I didn't understand the rules . I would see fouls called and the guy I thought was fouled, had the foul called against him . I still don't understand them . Maybe this could explain some of the bad calls . Or the star always getting the call.

While were on the subject , I think the officials in the NFL are rigged/or ignorant or both . That's why I don't have a favorite team in the NFL anymore . Some referee was/is always screwing up your teams day (the Dolphins were my team) . After breaking a few too many household items , plus threats from my wife , I had to give up . Any thoughts ???

both-teams-played-hard
07-21-2007, 10:18 PM
One of the reasons I never really followed the NBA was I didn't understand the rules . I would see fouls called and the guy I thought was fouled, had the foul called against him . I still don't understand them . Maybe this could explain some of the bad calls . Or the star always getting the call.

While were on the subject , I think the officials in the NFL are rigged/or ignorant or both . That's why I don't have a favorite team in the NFL anymore . Some referee was/is always screwing up your teams day (the Dolphins were my team) . After breaking a few too many household items , plus threats from my wife , I had to give up . Any thoughts ???

This NBA scandal affects the integrity of ALL sports. Officials, umpires and referees should get the same salaries as players.

both-teams-played-hard
07-21-2007, 10:27 PM
I love baseball and football and I can live with hockey because quite frankly, I love a good barroom brawl but basketball does zero for me. There's too much of a gangster mentality and thugery for my liking. The sport just never appealed to me.

You like a good barroom brawl, but too much thugery in basketball? Did you mean to say too many hats doft to the side, too much sweatsuits, gold chains and weed? If the sport never appealed to you, then it shouldn't appeal to you now. It is understandable.

Vintagedeputy
07-21-2007, 11:29 PM
Well, I think a good fist fight for your team like in hockey is part of the sport. Kind of like charging the mound when you get intentionally pegged and then the bullpens empty. Its part of the game.

The anti-police rap music, wearing shorts past your ass crack etc has taken what probably was a very enjoyable sport for some and ruined it. The same way that Barry Bonds isn't Willie Mays, I think that Kobe Bryant isnt Abdul-Jabbar. Times have changed in all sports and not always for the better but when the culture around the sport overshadows the sport itself and places it in a negative light, its time for some drastic action to recover its origins.

both-teams-played-hard
07-23-2007, 03:31 AM
Story from 2003:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=1499153&type=columnist

If you were ejected or giving a technical by Tim Donaghy, should the fine money be "refunded".

aeneas01
07-23-2007, 06:21 AM
i've never been basketball fan - probably because i never really played the game and probably because i'm not too big on a sport where points are so easily scored. baseball, football, hockey, soccer - scoring is a battle. in basketball a team's spotted 40 for simply lacing up their keds...

as far as refs and umps are concerned, i say get rid of them all and leave the officiating to modern technology and a panel of 3 judges in a box, off the field. and i'm an old timer!

both-teams-played-hard
07-25-2007, 10:37 PM
The anti-police rap music, wearing shorts past your ass crack etc has taken what probably was a very enjoyable sport for some and ruined it.
http://img106.mytextgraphics.com/photolava/2007/07/25/barneybevo-479r70j8l.jpg

Vintagedeputy
07-25-2007, 11:38 PM
Geez, I hope that wasnt meant to make fun of me.....