PDA

View Full Version : Ebayer Williemays660

aeneas01
07-19-2007, 04:47 PM
so what's up with ebayer williemays660 - his real name appears to be mike quick and his website is mikessportinggoods.com. i did a forum search for all three of these names and came up empty.

the reason i'm curious about him is because he seems to have some interesting and valuable info on his site regarding fake jerseys - but, at the same time, he also seems to have some nasty things to say about gameusedforum as well.

http://www.mikessportinggoods.com/network54.htm

"I was asked on numerous occasions, by email, to join this Forum. I am always skeptical of these. I did reluctantly sign up, and stayed on ONE day, before canceling my account. Low and behold, the same bogus dealers on ebay and elsewhere, are "stars" on this Forum. It is a very sad state of affairs in this hobby, when the "monkey's are running the zoo". I will no longer participate in such a bogus, self serving outlet as this. It is a pure joke. From the names that I recognized on this Forum, it looks like that 50-60% (maybe higher) of the participants, ARE the problem with this hobby....not the cure! This idea of a Forum is a very good idea. Problem is, not with this group of "experts". The late great Dick Dobbins, would surely be rolling over in his grave to see where this hobby has ended up. Disgraceful. Bogus Bonds' jerseys, fake, made up items, etc.If anyone needs help, or would like information from me; I will be more than glad to help. But, not in such a reckless forum as this. Kind Regards, Mike"

perhaps this has been discussed before and i just haven't been able to find the thread.

Eric
07-19-2007, 05:27 PM
check the game used forum archive. i think you'll find some threads there

ham1963
07-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Here this might help you. Just click on the link below.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/379976/search

John

TNTtoys
07-19-2007, 07:14 PM
Without going into too much detail, can anyone shine some light as to where the relationship between Mike Quick and this forum went horribly wrong?

I refer you to this post of his:
I look forward to the combined efforts of both Chris and Eric in bringing accurate information to collectors of game used memorabilia. Both are obviously passionate and committed to this mission, and have already been responsible for strides in this hobby that were unheard of just a short time ago. I am honored to be a part of their efforts through continued participation in the 'Experts Corner' and additional posts in the forum to specific questions regarding game used bats. It is clear, through conversations with Chris and correspondence with Eric, that personal integrity and a strong desire for integrity within the hobby are the driving forces behind this alliance. Good luck and continued success.
Mike

He appears to be in complete support of this forum, and then in the link provided above (from his own website) trashes it completely.

Any insight would be appreciated.

ChrisCavalier
07-19-2007, 08:25 PM
Without going into too much detail, can anyone shine some light as to where the relationship between Mike Quick and this forum went horribly wrong?

I refer you to this post of his:
I look forward to the combined efforts of both Chris and Eric in bringing accurate information to collectors of game used memorabilia. Both are obviously passionate and committed to this mission, and have already been responsible for strides in this hobby that were unheard of just a short time ago. I am honored to be a part of their efforts through continued participation in the 'Experts Corner' and additional posts in the forum to specific questions regarding game used bats. It is clear, through conversations with Chris and correspondence with Eric, that personal integrity and a strong desire for integrity within the hobby are the driving forces behind this alliance. Good luck and continued success.
Mike

He appears to be in complete support of this forum, and then in the link provided above (from his own website) trashes it completely.
Hello Nick,

I believe the quote above is from Mike Specht who is still a very key and integral part of what GUU is doing for the hobby.

If I'm not mistaken, I don't think Mike Quick has participated on these forums since it they were moved on to this site and that is why aeneas01 could not find his name when he did a search.

Sincerely,
Chris

TNTtoys
07-19-2007, 11:03 PM
Hello Nick,

I believe the quote above is from Mike Specht who is still a very key and integral part of what GUU is doing for the hobby.

If I'm not mistaken, I don't think Mike Quick has participated on these forums since it they were moved on to this site and that is why aeneas01 could not find his name when he did a search.

Sincerely,
Chris

Chris,

Thanks for clearing that up. The quote I included was not from this site -- it was from the original network54 site. It came up in a search I did with the keywords "Mike Quick" -- and when I read it, I immediately thought it was from that Mike. In thinking that the quote was his, I was taken back by the drastic "change of heart"... course if the quotes are from 2 different Mikes, that would explain things a bit.

Thanks,
Nick

aeneas01
07-20-2007, 03:41 PM
thanks for the info - i think the following thread gves a pretty good insight into this guy's nature and background.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/379976/thread/1110469741/

allstarsplus
07-20-2007, 04:38 PM
http://www.mikessportinggoods.com/network54.htm

Wow. Those are some big accusations.

I purchased some Giants jerseys from Mike in May 2004 and had a great transaction. I don't know Mike Quick other than this transaction, but did leave him Positive feedback in May 2004.

Mike has over 4,000 Positive transactions on eBay and very few negatives in his 9 years on eBay.

Those Posts on the March 2005 old Forum between Mike and Craig got personal. Its a shame it has led to the message on Mike's website.

I am sure if Mike came back on here now he would find this experience better and maybe he would retract that message on his website.

Does anyone know Mike to reach out to him?

Andrew

calgrad1999
07-20-2007, 04:55 PM
I've talked to Mike a few times via e-mail. He's a nice guy who has great knowledge of Giants items and has advised me on a few transactions. I bought a couple of items from other vendors with his advice, and declined buying an item, in part because of his advice. Given the amount of Giants items he owns, I respect his opinion and was glad to get his help. He went out of my way to help me and I am very appreciative of that. If I ever saw him at 24th and King, I would be happy to buy him a few beers or Cha-Cha Bowls.

One thing though, he lists all of his items on his site as if they are for sale, yet will not part with most items. It was a little confusing, because it led me to believe everything on his site was potentially for sale. He has an impressive collection.

calgrad1999
07-20-2007, 05:13 PM
On that note - if you're out there williemays660 - I would love to buy the Matt Williams jerseys from you!

33bird
07-21-2007, 07:28 PM
I have his email if you need it. He has some great Giant's jerseys-tons. Email me:
biggamebird@yahoo.com

Marichal27
07-22-2007, 06:39 PM
I know Mike, even met him once. He's a good guy, who is tired, as well as others, including myself, of fake jerseys being auctioned off from these on line auction houses. I nearly got burned three years ago from an on line auction house, that does business in Nevada; if it wasn't from the help of Lon and Mike. I've known Lon Lewis for many years. He lived in the SF Bay Area and saw him quite often. We still talk on the phone since he moved to another state. Lon and the late great Dick Dobbins were very good friends, and Lon does excellent restoration work, and did a lot of work for Dick. Lon and Mike are straight up people. Anyone who questions the integrity of Mike and Lon, obviously don't know either one of them very well.

G1X
07-22-2007, 09:30 PM
I've known Mike Quick for a long time. He is a good guy with a lot of knowledge on Giants and A's items and much more. I am sure that he had his reasons for making those statements on his website.

Instead of inquiring in this Forum about Mike's views, why not ask him directly? Perhaps it's threads like this that he finds irritating about this Forum. But it's not my place to speculate what Mike or anyone else is thinking. If I really wanted to know, I would simply pick up the telephone or send an email and ask.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

ChrisCavalier
07-23-2007, 12:30 AM
I've known Mike Quick for a long time. He is a good guy with a lot of knowledge on Giants and A's items and much more. I am sure that he had his reasons for making those statements on his website.
Hello Mark,

In all fairness, Mike Quick has not participated on this site since March of 2005 (more than two years ago). Since bringing the forum onto this site, Eric, Rob and I have worked very hard to implement new rules that have helped the forum evolve quite a bit since when he was posting.

As with anything, these comments need to be viewed in context. I also feel confident in saying that I think his experience would be a different one if he were posting today.

Sincerely,
Chris

G1X
07-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Chris,

All that I was attempting to convey in my previous post is that anyone who wants to know Mike's views should direct the question to him instead of speculating in this Forum, especially since he can easily be contacted through his website.

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange

aeneas01
07-23-2007, 06:48 PM
All that I was attempting to convey in my previous post is that anyone who wants to know Mike's views should direct the question to him instead of speculating in this Forum, especially since he can easily be contacted through his website.

don't want to beat this thing into the ground but, given that i started this thread, i would just like to add that imo mike made his views pretty clear on his website (which i quoted). and it was because of these views that i thought i would ask the forum for it's take on the matter.

but i'm glad to hear he's a stand up guy and well-regarded by more than a few forum members because, as i mentioned in my original post, it appears that he does have some interesting and valuable info regarding game used items on his site...