PDA

View Full Version : Overstepping the boundaries

Eric
01-18-2006, 08:58 PM
Forum members

I received a very angry email from a prominent seller who has a legitimate complaint. It seems that after a difficult transaction with a buyer, the buyer left the following feedback on ebay

"Payment sent, its no wonder collectors at gameuseduniverse.com think your a joke"

There are so many reasons why this behavior cannot now and will never be tolerated. This person does not speak for the forum. It was his opinion and what he did was make a sweeping statement on behalf of everyone here- which isn't even an accurate one..

As has been said on this site many times, people do not take this forum seriously when it's like the Wild West. We have a certain way of communicating with each other and the community at large to which we must adhere to make us reputable. This is yet another thing critics of this forum can point to and say "You see, it's a free for all."

We can do a lot of good here sharing information. But as I said above, this is overstepping the boundaries.
Eric

Kid4hof03
01-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Eric,
I appreciate your addressing this particular issue. I believe that to have a legitimate presence in the hobby there has to be some professionalism and restraint used. I believe that you have definitely displayed both of these qualities but the rest of us need to take note and come along as well.

I saw that comment yesterday in another thread and was quite embarrassed and even a bit angry that the forum name and reputation was used in such a selfish and unprofessional way. I enjoy the community and hope to see it grow, but behavior like this makes even me, a small time collector, wonder if forum participation will become a hindrance to my collecting rather than a benefit.

Abe

trsent
01-18-2006, 09:24 PM
"Payment sent, its no wonder collectors at gameuseduniverse.com think your a joke"

I bet if the person who received the feedback contacted eBay I bet it would be edited or removed. Needless to say, they will edit feedback that is pointing to a web site or out of line.

This feedback may cover both topics.

lee pdx
01-18-2006, 11:37 PM
I see that my question regarding the Ebay Clemens Game Used NYY bat may have caused a bit of consternation/grief- neither of which were intended. Basically, I am new to 'game used' collecting and am EXCEPTIONALLY weary about buying it on Ebay. I had an intertest in the bat, and having followed discussions on this forum for a couple of weeks now was curious to get your two cents worth. Not wanting to appear a complete moron when posting on this site, I did further research on the item and noted negative feedback claiming that collectors at GUU thought the seller was a joke, which only added fuel to my original desire to hear your opinions. Thus, I posted my question and was given quick and helpful information on the item and its 'authenticity' (thanks Bulbus, by the way). To the extent that there were concerns with authenticity, I would expect to have heard those as well.

Bottom line is that the opinions expressed on this site, are just that, opinions. Everyone, including folks posting on this site, has their own particular biases. That being said, as a cautious consumer I thought it prudent to post, to listen to those a heck of a lot more knowledgeable than myself, but ultimately to draw my own conclusion.

Having done that, I intend to bid on the bat (provided Lelands gave some sort of legitimate provinance with the previous sale... and... provided Chris Boyd is not willing to sell me his Clemens bat, which I like much more, for 50% off ;)) based in no small part BECAUSE of the assistance I received in response to my post at GUU (rather than basing my decision on the comments of a dissappointed purchaser blowing off steam about a transaction gone bad, which happens sometimes- no harm, no foul). In my opinion, the site did exactly what I had hoped- it gave me helpful information that I will use to make a reasoned and intelligent purchase, should I choose to do so. Without the response and link that I received from folks at GUU, I would not have even contemplated making the purchase.

Thanks all for the help, and look forward to more in the future as well.

-Lee

eGameUsed
01-19-2006, 08:15 AM
Lee,

E-mail me for some additional info on Clemens Bats. I might be able to help you out!

Thanks,

Chris Boyd
ccboyd@houston.rr.com
www.eGameUsed.com (http://www.eGameUsed.com)

CollectGU
01-19-2006, 10:27 AM
Isn't this the same seller that is selling a Johnny Bench mitt as game used whne in fact the mitt was manufactured, according to Denny Esken, AFTER he retired? If that is true, it speaks volumes about this seller. Can anyone verify that this is correct?

sammy
01-19-2006, 10:42 AM
You are correct. Here is the thread on the glove.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=1037

Eric
01-19-2006, 10:48 AM
Isn't this the same seller that is selling a Johnny Bench mitt as game used whne in fact the mitt was manufactured, according to Denny Esken, AFTER he retired? If that is true, it speaks volumes about this seller. Can anyone verify that this is correct?

These are the same seller, but they are two entirely different topics. One topic is about an items that comes with a letter from a player which may be incorrect. This is about feedback where someone says something obnoxious and saying he's representing YOUR opinion as well. There is no excuse to take a cheap shot like that.

Let's not confuse the two things

Eric

Eric
01-20-2006, 01:52 PM
Forum members-

Because of this conduct, user has been suspended for 30 days.

Thank you
Eric

ChrisCavalier
01-20-2006, 04:39 PM
I saw that comment yesterday in another thread and was quite embarrassed and even a bit angry that the forum name and reputation was used in such a selfish and unprofessional way. I enjoy the community and hope to see it grow, but behavior like this makes even me, a small time collector, wonder if forum participation will become a hindrance to my collecting rather than a benefit.
Hello Abe-

While Game Used Universe is not responsible for comments made by our members (our rules specifically state that members are responsible for the comments they make), we have moved quickly to address the issue of using the Game Used Universe or Game Used Forum name irresponsibly in private matters. Specifically, the person who posted the feedback in no way had the right to try to represent the entire Game Used Universe community with his comments. As such, we have taken the following actions to address this matter:

We have asked the member to contact eBay immediately to have the comment removed. We understand eBay has their own policies in this regard but we will continue to request the comment be removed until it hopefully is rescinded.
The member who posted the comment had purchased a subscription which gave his website visibility on Game Used Universe. As a result of this incident, we have removed his website from Game Used Universe.
We have suspended the member's account for 30 days and will monitor any future activity should the account be reinstated.
Eric has made a post on the forum to let members know this type of behavior is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.We want you to know that we take the use of the Game Used Universe and Game used Forum names very seriously and that we will not tolerate irresponsible behavior on (or off) our website by participants. As such, I want to assure you that we will do everything we need to in order to make sure your forum participation will be nothing but a benefit to you.

Sincerely,
Christopher Cavalier
CEO - Game Used Universe

Kid4hof03
01-20-2006, 07:52 PM
Christoper,
Thank you for the very detailed description of this situations outcome. I appreciate each step that has been taken. As I stated in my post, I believe that the "leadership" of this forum has been nothing but professional and courteous, my concern is some of the member behavior.

I enjoy the forum very much. I've gotten some outstanding information and even a couple of pieces for my collection since joining. Like many others I could do without some of the personal vendettas and pontificating, but like everything and everywhere else in life, you have to take the good with the bad.

Thank you for providing a great place to interact with other collectors and for the professional care you have taken for this endeavor.

Abe

ChrisCavalier
01-23-2006, 07:52 PM
We have asked the member to contact eBay immediately to have the comment removed. We understand eBay has their own policies in this regard but we will continue to request the comment be removed until it hopefully is rescinded.
I just wanted to let everyone know, with the help of the person who originally left the feedback, the comment has been removed from eBay. As stated before, we are committed to doing everything necessary to make sure your participation in this forum and on this site is nothing but a benefit to you.

Sincerely,
Christopher Cavalier
CEO - Game Used Universe