PDA

View Full Version : Tough Part of This Hobby...

jayt1234
07-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Is when you sort of hit the wall so to speak with finding new things...I have been a Cowboys fan my whole life and only recently started collectin in December....At first I was amazed at what was out there cleats, helmets jersey's etc...My first item was Drew Bledsoe game used cleats bought from the brother of one of the guys who is also a member of the gym I go to...His brother lives in Dallas and went to a tent sale...From there it was smaller items (Ware cleats, gloves and socks, away issued pants, defense and offense practice jersey's) and then a great find from someone on this site Terrence Newman gloves, Sam Hurd cleats and Terry Glenn cleats....Then in May I went on a small spending spree after a quaterly bonus Sam Hurd Throw back helmet, Julius Jones cleats, Akin Ayodele current helmet, Akin Ayodele Home Unifom (All with GUE COA'S)...Well now it is sort of tough to really move foward within my budget...I guess we all go through it to some extent...It was sort of the fun of bidding and finding new stuff...My neighbor has a custom garage and builds mustangs and he agrees...He says he waits anxiously for the UPS guy to arrive with new parts, and I have to agree, I miss that for now...i guess when the season starts there might be some new stuff out there...But for now I have started to try to find late model Nike Oregon Ducks items...Jay

Vintagedeputy
07-16-2007, 09:25 PM
Jay,

I know exactly how you feel.

Today, I went to one of my "good" antique stores hoping for a hidden gem. If anything, they always have an old Hanna bat laying around that at least I can hold and dream that its the "big find"

Well, they had nothing, and I mean nothing. An old catcher's mitt without even any player endorsement, a little league baseball and a beat up softball. Gone I guess are the days of finding a gamer in an antique store (which I have done). What I couldnt believe though was the amount of oars, paddles, golf clubs, tennis racquets, riding crops, saddles and just about any other oddball sport you could imagine. I even saw those juggling batons but not one stinkin' baseball bat.

Fast forward to tonight. I have been watching a vintage game used semi-star bat on ebay for a week. It was listed with a totally off the wall title and I was the sole bidder at $4.99. Another bidder placed a small bid at 20 minutes 'til the end and then everyone's snipes fired at the closing seconds. I already had this bat hanging from my bat rack in my mind when it closed at $108. I would have gone a little higher than that but I honestly thought I had this one stolen for $5.

Oh the agony!

Jim