PDA

View Full Version : Help with Stengel bat

Eric
07-14-2007, 09:11 PM
Hey everyone

I was at an antique show/flea market today and there was a seller who had some amazing bats- some vintage retail some game used.

Some of these were tagged with some hefty prices.

He had a Casey Stengel bat which he described as a "Pre Contract" gamer from around 1916 if I remember correctly.

I don't know anything about bats, but I took a couple of photos and was hoping someone here could tell me what they thought about it.

Not sure if you can tell from the camera phone pic, but there are nails around the name Stengel.

Thoughts?
Thanks
Eric

yanks12025
07-15-2007, 08:40 AM
Hi Eric
I believe your right with what you said about the bat. I dont know if you know but it's from 1917-1921 and when they have just there last name or first and last that means they had a non-contract. If that's game used that could be worth a pretty penny. Also may i ask what other bats he had. Thanks and i hope this helps.

bat_master
07-15-2007, 08:45 AM
Hi Eric,

I'm not about to say that the bat isn't good, but at first glance the font used for the 'STENGEL' doesn't appear to match the one used by Hillerich & Bradsby during that time.

The 'G' in particular is especially different and the spacing of the letters appears to be a bit wider than was typically used. Normally the letters would have been quite close together.

Just out of curiosity, what other bats did they have?

MGHProductions
07-16-2007, 12:16 AM
I have to agree with Tim. The "Stengel" doesn't appear to be consistent with other markings I've seen from that era.

Eric
07-16-2007, 08:28 AM
Again, I don't know anything about bats. Is it at all concerning that the repair is specifically around the section where the name is? Or is that a typical occurence?

Thanks
Eric

jboosted92
07-16-2007, 08:49 AM
Again, I don't know anything about bats. Is it at all concerning that the repair is specifically around the section where the name is? Or is that a typical occurence?

Thanks
Eric

I gotta say, the FONT of the STENGEL doesnt seem "thick" enough.

Doesnt it strike you odd, that a "flea" market would be his source for selling..

possibly knowing that "educated" buyers would know his deal?

thinking that a "flea market" goer would maybe spend the money on a "find"

just my 2 cents..

MSpecht
07-16-2007, 08:54 AM
Hi Eric--

The repair in the area of the name is worthy of very close consideration... Although difficult to tell from the photo, there appears to be a very regular cut (either vertical or possibly L-shaped) before the name ... you would want to examine the area very closely--- the most frequently alteration of this nature is the removal of a college name under the players name on a H & B bat, and replacement of the college name with the appropriate "Louisville Slugger" branding...

Here, also, is an example of the commonly seen block letter font of the period.

Good Luck.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

jboosted92
07-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Hi Eric--

The repair in the area of the name is worthy of very close consideration... Although difficult to tell from the photo, there appears to be a very regular cut (either vertical or possibly L-shaped) before the name ... you would want to examine the area very closely--- the most frequently alteration of this nature is the removal of a college name under the players name on a H & B bat, and replacement of the college name with the appropriate "Louisville Slugger" branding...

Here, also, is an example of the commonly seen block letter font of the period.

Good Luck.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

I agree Mike. The block-letter of STENGEL..is just too perfect