PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever hear of Steve Kline??......

kylehess10
07-13-2007, 11:03 PM
I heard an odd story tonight on ESPN about how a Cardinals pitcher named Steve Kline wouldn't wash nor change his hat. Would be an interesting hat to own (would be a great story-teller too).....

Vintagedeputy
07-13-2007, 11:46 PM
Notes: Kline stays down to earth
Dirty-capped reliever doing better; Bonds, Winn get rest
By Rich Draper / MLB.com

MIAMI -- Steve Kline's "dirty hat" tradition continues, although the grime and dirt and sweat is not easily seen on his black Giants cap.

But it's there, all right, and getting worse by the hour.
The left-handed reliever wears a gamer cap for a full season -- never cleaned, barely brushed -- to honor his blue-collar family and working stiffs everywhere and because of his superstitious nature that also calls for one undershirt per year and socks worn until his toes poke through.
That latter stuff is dutifully washed, but those socks are marked "L" and "R" after great outings so he'll be lucky the next time and wear them on the correct feet.
The Pennsylvania-born Kline says his ancestors were truckers and farmers, with a few coal miners, too. All difficult, sweaty jobs.
"They come home dirty after a hard day's work, and it's a symbol to my dad and others that I'm working hard, too," said Kline. "I've always done it. Everybody changes their hats left and right, but I decided to wear one hat the whole season. I like to see how bad and smelly it gets at the end of the year.
"I was a groundhog as a kid, dirty all the time," laughed Kline, saying his current cap is holding up well despite splashes of chew spit and various goops. It looks good for the long haul, although it grew in perspiration content this week with the Florida humidity.
A proud day while with the St. Louis Cardinals was when the organization held "Dirty Cap Day" to celebrate Kline's habit (affliction?) and gave away 20,000 scruffy hats to fans. "It's a don't-forget-where-I-come-from type deal," said Kline.

mr.miracle
07-14-2007, 07:59 AM
Kline has been a journeyman reliever in the major leagues for I believe about ten years now and has pitched for about 7 or 8 different teams. Currently with the Giants.

dcrules01
07-14-2007, 08:23 AM
I would add his hats to my collection in a heartbeat..Nothing like a dirty hat gamer that has been spit on dropped in the dirt had some pine tar added some chew and a few other ingriedents ...That is priceless...

metsbats
07-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Every team seem to have a guy or two who likes to do this.

The Mets have reliever Guillermo Mota.

Nathan
07-14-2007, 11:21 AM
Ah yes, Steve Kline. I haven't heard that name in a while.

His hat looked like it was dipped in Chromalusion paint (that's the stuff that changes color in different light). It would be red under certain light, then fade to black as he would throw a pitch. It was either hilarious or disgusting.

stlbats
07-15-2007, 01:00 AM
I used to see Kline all the time in St. Louis. He is very nice and would sign autographs and talk with fans for literally 2 or so hours before every game. I saw him take his hat off and let the kids pass it around spitting on it before the game. Weird but a very good guy in the game.

Jason

ripken8@bellsouth.net

woodbat
07-15-2007, 03:09 PM
One tough bat.............

jon_8_us
07-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Trot Nixon's hat's were filthy when he was with the Sox

jon

dcrules01
07-15-2007, 06:17 PM
One of my favorite Red Sox here is part of an article about Nixon's caps

Tina Cervasio, the NESN reporter, gestured at the Red Sox cap sitting atop a box of Trot Nixon's belongings, the cap so discolored by dust and clay and grass stains to make its age indeterminate. What happens, she asked, when a dirt dog no longer needs his cap?

``It goes to my dad," said Nixon, referring to the kidney surgeon in North Carolina, Dr. William Nixon, who had once caught Catfish Hunter, the Hall of Famer, and was so instrumental in the grooming of his son as a ballplayer. ``He gets 'em after every year. He's got 'em all lined up. He washes them.

RJB44
07-18-2007, 05:12 AM
Vida Blue was known to wear a very old Oakland A's cap through the end of his tenure with the A's. Several pictures show him wearing an earlier style cap (1971-72?) as late as 1977.

Former A's picther Bob Lacy (1977-1980) also is believed to wear a much older style a's cap while on the team. Many pictues show him with a highly faded cap then that of his teamates. The 1980 team photo is an excellent example that shows the difference in his cap.

pietraynor
07-19-2007, 01:22 AM
Just got back from Wrigley Field, Cubs hosted the Giants & saw Steve Kline being his old self..after warming up w/ a teammate, spent 30mins soft tossing w/about 10 diff. fans along the first base line..All the time talking to the fans, he gave a couple balls away, then worked his way back to the dugout, signing about 100 autographs for everyone who wanted one..was friendly w/ the Cubs security staff as well, made mention of a certain star teammate as well. One of just a handful of Giants to sign on this day. Kids were getting a kick out of playing toss w/ a Major League (opposing) pitcher! Wish more players would take time w/ the fans, don't expect this much, but something would be nice. Jay.

Vintagedeputy
07-19-2007, 08:03 AM
Sounds like Kline remembers what its like to be the little guy. If the million dollar players remembered that its the fans who pay their salaries by buying the tickets, souvenirs, watching the tv etc, they might be a little friendlier. I've worn a badge and uniform for 12 years and made as little as $22k a year when I started out. If I was making umpteen thousands of dollars a day for less than 8 hours work to play baseball, I'd be as fan friendly as anyone you'd ever met. I would be coming to your kids birthday party to sign autographs if that meant that I could stay in the big leagues one more day.....:)

I went to a Nationals home game yesterday and was impressed that at least 4 Astros signed autographs as the visiting team. There were a ton of Astros fans there. Nice to see that they made the effort to appreciate their fans.