PDA

View Full Version : Gary Carter Scoreboard

cbb5
07-10-2007, 02:28 PM
I guess we can add this jersey to the Scoreboard colletion...

One is from Lelands and the other is from my photo archive (but can't remember exactly where I got it):

kingjammy24
07-10-2007, 02:34 PM
why do you believe one is a scoreboard shirt?

rudy.

cbb5
07-11-2007, 06:16 AM
Both shirts have the same exact tagging with totally different autographs. Obviosuly I could be wrong, but it just doesn't add up to me. What are the odds of Carter wearing two set 1's in 1989? I guess you never say never!
Chris

kingjammy24
07-11-2007, 02:18 PM
chris,

you're interpreting the set number in a certain way that may not be entirely accurate. read this:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showpost.php?p=22712&postcount=8

while i think the typical scenario back then did involve a roster player receiving set 1 home, set 2 home, set 1 road, set 2 road at the start of the season, i also believe it's not difficult to imagine scenarios where additional shirts would need to be ordered for that player during the course of the season. eg: carter received and wore his set 1 and 2 road jerseys that year. one of them was lost/stolen/given away/damaged. the mets placed another order. this subsequent order would then also be labeled "set 1" as it constituted a new order. rawlings wouldn't have looked to see that carter already received 2 sets and then appropriately labeled this mid-season order as set 3. in this example, carter would've in fact received 2 "set 1" road jerseys. i don't think it's odd or even unexpected.

have you ever seen a rawlings flag tag from the 80s-early 90s that was greater than a set 2? i never have. don't you find that odd? does that then mean that no player during that time went through more than 2 of each style? i don't think it means that at all. juan iglesias once relayed a story of how canseco burned through several jerseys during 1989 or 1990. i'm willing to bet that there were several "set 1" home jerseys that canseco went through that year. it seems that the only set numbers rawlings printed up during that era were 1 and 2. if a player received 4 home jersey in one year, it would seem to reason that there would necessarily be multiple set 1s in that batch.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/427155/message/1139685569/A+Week+For+Numbers-++Baseball+Uniforms+and+%26quot%3BSet+%23%27s%26qu ot%3B

rudy.

whatupyos
07-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Rudy,

Great job on that reporting. I was always curious when I see multiple set 1's for a certain player. I.E. Mark McGwire, I've seen a lot of Set 1's of his Cards jerseys. I know I've seen a few 1998's and I know at least one is in the Hall of Fame. I don't think I've ever seen a set 3 set 4 and so on of his Cards jerseys so your explanation of different purchase orders makes sense. Thanks again for all the helpful information!!!!

Aaron

metsbats
07-11-2007, 06:48 PM
The "NO FEAR" inscripted 89 Carter jersey used to be in my collection. It was auctioned off in Mastronet a couple of years ago and looks like it's back on Lelands block this time.

David