PDA

View Full Version : Ortiz bay photo match?

mdube16
07-09-2007, 08:52 PM
I am new to the board and have been captivated by all the posts. I have a David Ortiz gamer that I didnt know much about and when doing some reserch here, I found an old thread that talked about his 2004 bats. In inspecting my bat, I saw a strange mark next to the MLB logo. It looks sort of like silver sharpie was used to block something out. As the bat is signed and someone removed an inscription over the signature, I just figured it was some sort of mark made after it left Ortiz. Now looking at a photo from the 04 playoffs, I see the same mark on a bat he used to homer in the game. Does anyone know if this is something he does to all his bats or have I found a photo match? I got the bat in a collection with many other items a few years ago so I cant speak for the history of the bat. It has a ton of use (its cracked). What are the boards thoughts? I notice there are some very knowledgable Sox collectors here.

mdube16
07-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Sorry the pics are obnoxious big...I'll get better

Vintagedeputy
07-09-2007, 09:07 PM
I would say that it is a darn good start towards a photo match! You need to blow up the game photo and get a better look at the mark. Also, check the other pics of the game and see if you can match anything else up, like the 34 on the end of the bat......and oh yeah, last but not least, GO YANKEES!!!!!!! :)

yanks12025
07-09-2007, 09:21 PM
I thought that's where the TPX logo was during 2004. I'm not trying to say it's not the same bat or anything but i thought all bats from 2004 had two silver box's one with the MLB logo and then TPX. But this is all just my thought.

indyred
07-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Sweet seeing a Ortiz Sox select maple. Can't be many of those around. I don't think the photo is even close to a match. The handle looks to have a bunch of pine tar and some red in it. The label on the bat in the photo is an ash Louisville Slugger bat. The part you have smeared is the leaf on the select maple. The bat in the photo is the rounded TPX logo on the LS ash bat.
Maybe some SOX experts can help out on some pictures of Ortiz using a select maple. Not sure, but wasn't that style with it branded like that only made early in the 2004 season?

gameused
07-10-2007, 02:57 AM
I agree with indyred it's not the bat in the photo.

The bat you have is a select maple from the early part of the 2004 season (the M9 logo came out later that year).

The back area where the mlb logo is located there was a maple leaf with "TPX" in the middle, the maple leaf is totally obliterated from repeated ball contact and all that is left is the small stem.

The MLB logo and select maple leaf is printed on and not stamped as they are now with the M9 maple bats. I posted a pic of a Vladimir Guerrero select maple bat with the printed on MLB logo and maple leaf, like your Ortiz bat.

The area where something was removed is my guess that David Ortiz wrote "04 game used", I've seen him write this inscription above his signature in 2004.

Not sure why someone would remove it, I'm guessing that the game used inscription was smeared at some point and someone thought they could get the silver sharpie inscription removed and did more damage.

The last two photos are signed David Ortiz game used bats from steiner with the "04 game used" inscription.

Hope this helps!

Bobby

mdube16
07-10-2007, 06:39 AM
Just an FYI...the inscrition that was removed can be partially read...it says something like "to my ...boy.." and then the name that is illegible.

Thanks for all the input. Its good to know at least it is an 04 bat even if the photomatch wasnt right. You guys know your stuff.