PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Bat Authenticators

89ASMVPBats
07-08-2007, 10:18 PM
After seeing an ad for Mears Online in the most recent issue of SCD, I decided to check out the selection of game used bats in their "Mears for Sale" section. In doing so I came across a 1911-1915 Frank Snyder bat:

http://www.mearsonline.com/forsale/item/?id=2336

My records confirmed that this was the exact bat that I sold to Mr. Bushing a few months back on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130102666575

As one can see from the eBay listing, the bat was PSA authenticated, as I had purchased it about a year ago from Mr. Taube's website (for $425). Now that the bat has been authenticated by Mears, the price has jumped to almost five times the original price.

I have only been collecting game used bats for a little over a year and it is my understanding that PSA and Mears are two of the leaders in game used bat authentication. I also understand that the bat was only authenticated by PSA, not graded, and that Mears graded the bat an A9.5. My question for the forum is: Why such an increase in price?

cjmedina1
07-09-2007, 12:48 AM
89ASMVPBats

I'm not sure why.I have had my eye on the Mcgwire bat for a while.But 850.00is a little too much for me.To me the bat looks hardly used.Now if it was an autograph gamer I would but it in a heart beat for 850.00.

I guess it really comes down to what Mr Bushing may see as an investment.Buying low selling high.We would never know unless you post the question to him on his site.I belive his email is on their site.

Carlie
carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

David
07-09-2007, 01:17 AM
I assume Bushing didn't purchase the bat to sell it at the same price. One could deduce that, as a reseller, he purchased the bat as he thought the price was low.

David
07-09-2007, 01:22 AM
Also note that his winning bid doesn't necessarily reflect what he was willing to pay. We don't know what maximum bid he may have placed.

89ASMVPBats
07-09-2007, 07:57 AM
It goes without saying that the bat would be sold for more than the purchase price. That's more or less how this industry works for dealers and collectors alike. I was more than happy to recover my investment and have the ability to refocus my collection, so it's really not about the money.

My question goes more to the issue of whether Mears is so highly regarded in the hobby that a bat with their authentication could command five times as much as a bat with PSA authentication. I have wondered for a while how the two authenticators "stack up" and this seemed like the perfect scenerio for such a discussion.

In other words, would bat collectors pay more for a Mears authenticated bat than a PSA authenticated bat?

scottanservitz
07-09-2007, 08:13 AM
I have to say that I personally think both authenticators are very good at what they do. I know there has been a mistake or two along the way, but overall they both know bats way better than I do and I would not hesitate on buying or using either. I have purchased from John Taube and I have had a bat authenticated by Bushing. I have been happy with both and would not hesitate to use either. As far as Bushing buying and selling, I don't see anything wrong with him pricing as he does. I buy and sell cards and memorabilia all the time. I try to make a profit, but I also don't fret when I don't. If the said bat sits in Bushing's inventory forever, does he make a profit? No. I would assume he may move on his price. But that is up to him. I remember when he bought a Gehrig small signature on eBay a year or two ago. If I remember right, he paid $75K for it and flipped it for well over $100K. He has the resources and he does this for a living. Good for him. But again, I personally would use both again if need be. But truthfully I would use this site first and foremost. Mike and Jim do an excellent job! Kudos to those guys!
Scott

scottanservitz
07-09-2007, 08:19 AM
Oh, I forgot to answer your question. Who sells for more? I guess it really depends on the bat in question, more so than the authenticator. But that is my guess. Hope this helps.

Scott