PDA

View Full Version : ESPN OUTSIDE THE LINES-McGWIRE

hblakewolf
07-06-2007, 01:35 PM
Forum Readers-

Back in May, I was contacted by a Producer from the ESPN series Outside the Lines. I was informed by him that the Cardinals had a life size statue of McGwire cast back in 2001, and had planned to add it to the other statues outside the ballpark once he was enshrined into the Hall of Fame in 2007. Jump ahead to today-according to the producer, the statue has been stashed away in some warehouse in St. Louis, and is covered with an old tarp. The Cardinals deny it was ever made, and the chances of it ever seeing the light of day are slim.

The Producer wanted to know, from a fan and collectors standpoint, what is the "mood" surrounding McGwire? Are fans soured? Collectors still buying his items? Specifically, he was aware of my game used McGwire equipment collection, and wanted to get my thoughts.

I agreed to be part of the upcoming episode, and as such, was interviewed at my home and allowed these folks to shoot my collection. Although the majority of the episode will focus on the statue, it's my understanding that the shots of the McGwire jerseys, bats and equipment will be used throughout the piece (we also took a nice shot of my game worn Ripken, Gwynn and McGwire shirts hanging together). Likewise, I understand that I'll have my 15 seconds of fame, too!

I was just informed that the show may air this Sunday @ 9:30 A.M. ET. If it changes time/day, I'll update this site with the new information. Additional info. on this segment can be seen at: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/index (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/index)

FYI

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

whatupyos
07-06-2007, 02:35 PM
Howard:

Glad to hear its finally getting aired. I can't wait to see it. The true fans like you and me will never sour on the man. I'm as loyal as can be and don't turn my back on people I look up too or my friends. I still collect his memorabilia and always will. Its fine with me if the market for his things is going down, just means its cheaper to aquire!

Aaron

cjmedina1
07-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Aaron

So are you saying that yourself and HW are the only True fans?:confused: Can you help me understand your comment

Howard

Glad its going to air finally and can't wait to see your stuff.Also check your email cause I never got a response from you.

Carlie Medina III
carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

allstarsplus
07-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Congrats Howard on the interview. Can't wait to see it.

What Ripken did in 1995 for baseball (post-strike) and what McGwire/Sosa did in 1998 were amazing milestones that brought in new fans, brought out the "closet" baseball fans, and returned disgruntled fans. Baseball and its partners had a gigantic windfall from all these major milestones.

For a country that was founded on the beliefs of innocent until proven guilty, I find it a shame that Big Mac has been cursed by so many today that cheered him in 1998.

Not to blame the media, but come on. What has really changed from 1998 to today except the dirty little whispers are now out in the open and it is so easy to call someone's accomplishments "tainted" as the media has done so often recently.

Performance enhancers were used by Russian athletes back in the 1960's so it isn't like these were just discovered.

I believe Mark said in August 1998 that he used Androstenedione and Creatine which were sold legally in many nutrition stores at the time and Andro was legal in the Olympics until the end of 1997. Why wasn't there a backlash in 1998 when this information became public.

Does anyone have any concrete proof of McGwire doing anything illegal that can be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt or is all the proof anyone needs in Canseco's book?

Keep in mind that McGwire shattered the Rookie HR record at 49 HRs in a season as a skinny kid which in itself is an unbelievable record when put in perspective.

His power from the right side of the plate is second to none.

I think McGwire had a public relations meltdown in 2005 when he testified in front of Congress. I would love to know if he would say anything different today, but saying nothing doesn't make you guilty.

Hopefully the Hall of Fame voters get it right and the Cardinals honor a man for his accomplishments in his era.

Andrew

whatupyos
07-06-2007, 04:00 PM
Carlie:

Didn't mean to leave you out in the cold, I forgot about you being a fan as well. I knew there was one or two others who were true fans, but forgot who they were.

Aaron

hblakewolf
07-07-2007, 02:27 PM
I was just informed that the story will indeed air tomorrow morning 7/8/07 at 9:30 AM ET.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

B1SON
07-07-2007, 05:33 PM
I can't wait to see it. Congrats on getting your collection on National television. I "dream" of such an honor someday! ;)

I was just informed that the story will indeed air tomorrow morning 7/8/07 at 9:30 AM ET.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

jboosted92
07-08-2007, 08:40 AM
I can't wait to see it. Congrats on getting your collection on National television. I "dream" of such an honor someday! ;)

Howard,

Did i see some tears? I was moved!! j/k...

congrats! you'll remember that forever....

can i have your autograph?...on an ESPN-used show item?

possum
07-08-2007, 08:43 AM
I'm sitting here working off a hangover by watching Outside the Lines and I see them holding up a McGwire gamer and referencing Howard Wolf. I haven't been on here in a couple days and had no idea. You did a great job, Howard (even though our opinions on Mac are completely different). Too bad they didn't show the display with the Ripken and the Gwynn. But there was a nice picture of your bat collection. Good job man.

skyking26
07-08-2007, 08:54 AM
Howard -

Could not find it at 9:30 am. Will it be reaired?

Bob

harpt
07-08-2007, 09:54 AM
Nice job Howard

indyred
07-08-2007, 10:34 AM
I missed it. Did anyone by chance record it? Maybe the piece will show up on you tube.

cjmedina1
07-08-2007, 10:35 AM
Just keep watching ESPN they will have it shown again.I watched it twice already.

HW

Good job on your interview.Is ESPN giving you a copy of the whole interview or just what's aired?

Carlie Medina III

Eric
07-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Howard-

Excellent work Howard. How soon until ESPN gives you your own show? I'd watch it.
Eric

dcrules01
07-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Watched it great piece Congrats on showing your collection...

bat_master
07-08-2007, 12:04 PM
Howard-

Excellent work Howard. How soon until ESPN gives you your own show? I'd watch it.
Eric

I only saw a little bit of it, but I did see Howard very briefly. I'd watch his show on ESPN as well, but only if they replace Jim Rome and Howard doesn't start his show out by saying: "What is up?". Also, never, ever have Skip Bayless as a guest or guest host.

Nice work.

cjmedina1
07-08-2007, 12:55 PM
When Howard has his own show the first guest should be Chris Everett oh I mean Jim Everett.I have to say HW can take him out.:D

Carlie

ChrisCavalier
07-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Hey Howard,

After reading this thread I was able to catch the McGwire segment this morning. It was great to see you on the show. BTW, although I think this was discussed in a separate thread, was your statement asking for proof of steroid use basically saying you don't think he used them or you simply are taking an "innocent until proven guilty" approach?

-Chris

B1SON
07-08-2007, 01:39 PM
Any word on YouTube yet? I'd like to see it. Great work man! :D

cjmedina1
07-08-2007, 04:23 PM
"innocent until proven guilty"

Isn't supposed to be that way?Now people may agree and disagree with the comment,But why judge people based on looks,Lets judge on facts and evidence.....The baseball HOF sports writters need to put what they think happen out of their minds and vote on facts.Here is a short list

Holds record for home runs for a rookie season with 49 (1987)
Holds record for extra bases on long hits for a rookie season with 183 (1987)
Holds record for highest slugging percentage for an A.L. rookie season with .618 (1987)
Was second player in history to be selected unanimously as Rookie of the Year (1987)
Was first rookie ever to hit 30 home runs before the All-Star Break (1987)
Was first rookie ever to hit 5 home runs in two-consecutive games (1987)
Broke the Oakland Athletics home run and RBI record with 47 home runs and 118 RBIs (1987)
Hit 39th home run on 14 Aug 1987, breaking the 57 year-old rookie season home run record (1987)
Hit 49th home run on 04 Oct 1987, setting highest rookie season home run mark (1987)
Tied record for most home runs in 2 consecutive games with 5 on 27/28 JUN 1987 and 10/11 JUN 1995
Tied Andre Dawson for Major League HR lead with 49 (1987)
Named to the A.L. All-Star Team (1987)
Reached 100 home runs in 2nd fewest ABs in history (1989)
Was only player in history to hit 30+ home runs each of his first 4 seasons (1987, 1988, 1989, 1990)
Hit a Home Run at least once verse every A.L. team (1992)
One of two players in history to have more RBIs than Hits (1995)
His 39 home run season total were most ever by a player with fewer than 392 at-bats (1995)
Set record for lowest single season ABs per home run with one every 8.13 ABs (1996)
Hit his 40th in his 294th AB breaking Ruth's record for fewest ABs to 40 homers (1996)
Hit a home run at least twice against every team (1996)

Only player to hit 20 or more home runs for two teams in one season (1997)
Only player to hit 50 home runs while on two different teams in one season (1997)
Fastest player to reach 400 home runs with 4,726 ABs (1998)
Tied Babe Ruth's 1927 record for most homers hit on the road with 32 (1998)
Holds N.L. record for most homers hit on the road with 32 breaking George Foster's 31 in 1977 (1998)
Tied Willie Mays record (1971) for hitting 4 home runs in first 4 games of the season (1998)
Only player to have 2 3-home run games ihttp://www.mcgwire.com/graphic-baseball.gif Tied for fastest player to hit 20 home runs in a season in 41 games (1998)
Fastest player to hit 40 home runs in a season in 90 games (1998)
Fastest player to hit 50 home runs in a season 125 games (1998)
Fastest player to hit 60 home runs in a season (1998)
Fastest player to hit 70 home runs in a season (1998)
Oldest player to hit 50 home runs in a season on 20 AUG 1998 doing it in 34 years and 324 days (1998)
Tied record for most home runs in the month of May with 16 (1998)
Tied record for most home runs before the All-Star Break with 37 (1998)
Holds record for most home runs through the month of May with 27 (1998)
Holds record for most home runs through the month of June with 37 (1998)
Holds record for most home runs through the month of July with 45 (1998)
Holds record for most home runs through the month of August with 55 (1998)
Holds record for home runs through the month of September with 70 (1998) n both the N.L. and A.L.

all these stats came from mcgwire.com. Thanks Gumby

Now Post some pics of Jose Canseco Shooting up mcgwire with a dose or how about Mcgwire giving him self a dose.

Carlie Medina III

sylbry
07-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Innocent until proven guilty? Sure that works in a court of law. Last time I checked McGwire isn't in a courtroom.

Earlier someone mentioned this country was founded on that principle. Yes, and it was also founded by people tired of being told what to do and what to think. In the courtroom of common sense McGwire couldn't be more guilty. Just because he did a good job of destroying evidence doesn't mean he didn't cheat. Just because I didn't get a speeding ticket in my car today doesn't mean I didn't speed. It means I didn't get caught. Now tell me was there a testing policy in place during the McGwire era? How many people were busted during that time? Afterall Giambi makes it sound like everyone was doing it.

By all means collect what you want to collect and believe what you want to believe however I refuse to give a free pass to a cheater because he did a good job of not getting caught.

And on steriods in general, the stuff players took were steps ahead of what was being tested. It isn't like they were buying stuff from your local roid dealer at the gym. They were designed to not be detected. HGH is still undetectable. It is pretty easy to pass a drug test when they don't test you for what you are taking.

mr.miracle
07-08-2007, 06:02 PM
Howard, great job on ESPN. It was a very well done piece indeed. Despite all the controversey surrounding McGwire and steroids, I find it most interesting that he is the only member of the 500 home run club eligible for the HOF that is not in the HOF. This is a pretty obvious point that I was reminded of this morning when I watched the outside the lines piece. Whatever your point of view on McGwire, the fact remains that this man has nearly 600 home runs and unless somebody rewrites the books on what qualifies a person for the HOF, this guy deserves to go in.

There was a great piece on ESPN two weeks ago when Biggio got his 3000th hit and Thomas his 500th homer asking whether or not the three traditional benchmarks in baseball that have traditionally guarenteed HOF induction still stand. Those being 500 homers, 3000 hits and 300 wins. Of all members of those three clubs that are eligible based upon retirement rules, only two Pete Rose banned from baseball and Big Mac are not in the HOF. The analyst on ESPN said that his feeling was that of the three, the one which has been watered down is 500 homers based upon how many members have been added to the club or will be added over the last five years and next five years. Only two players currently playing are pretty much locks to join the 3000 hit club over the next 5-7 years and those are ARod and Jeter barring injury. We will see a number of players reach 500 or 600 homers in the next couple of years which would make the 500 home run club traditionally the most exlusive in baseball close to tying the 3000 hit club in terms of number of members.

What is really absurd is those idiot sports writers who are refusing to vote for anyone from this era based upon the possibility that anybody could have used steroids. That must have held true especially in the case of Tony Gwynn this year based upon his chisled physique lol.

If McGwire ultimately does not get in based upon conjecture that he used steroids which of course as Howard pointed out has never been proven, then Sammy Sosa, Ken Griffey Jr. Barry Bonds, Rafael Palmeiro, Frank Thomas, Jim Thome, Manny Ramirez, Alex Rodriguez all current or future 500 home run club members should also be excluded based upon the assinine reasoning of the voters.

As Andrew pointed out several times on this forum as well as the ESPN piece highlighted, McGwire really hurt himself on Capitol Hill before congress. I just wonder what would be considered worse, McGwire refusing to discuss the past or other suspected steroid users being confronted by Congress at some point and telling outright lies on the witness stand in terms of their own use history.

The fact that all of these steroid issues have been in the public eye now for 3 -5 years makes me wonder why nobody can ever conclusively prove that anyone took steroids. Howard is right in his assessment on Outside the Lines, where are the sales receipts, the unquestioned witnesses, the conslusive proof on anyone?

I highly doubt that players like Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa and McGwire if they used steroids were scoring these on the street corner from one eyed jimmy. Obviously somebody somewhere knows the truth but nobody will come forward. All we are ultimately left with is conjecture and speculation.

The ultimate question is conjecture and speculation enough to permanentely withhold otherwise more than worthy candidates from the HOF? We all know that without steroid speculation there would be absolutely no doubt that Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, Palmeiro, Thomas, Griffey, Ramirez, Thome etc. would be absolute locks for the HOF. Sadly, the world we live in today does presume everyone is guilty until proven innocent and that is what we are forced to live with.

possum
07-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Last time I checked McGwire isn't in a courtroom.

Uh, when he was it was a disgraceful sight. But this thread isn't about Mark and Barry cheating or the INCREDIBLY FLAWED HOF election process. Its about Howard on Outside the Lines.

cjmedina1
07-09-2007, 05:00 PM
Uh, when he was it was a disgraceful sight. But this thread isn't about Mark and Barry cheating or the INCREDIBLY FLAWED HOF election process. Its about Howard on Outside the Lines.

Possum
I'm sorry you feel this thread got off track.There was a question that was asked and some of us chimed in on it.

Carlie Medina III

pietraynor
07-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Didn't get a chance to see the show, but will be looking for it..Congrats..Wouldn't it be nice if some of the sports media (TV/Print/Web) included collectors in the shows/articles they produce/write? Such as interviewing or showing some items from major Ripken or Gwynn collectors during the upcoming HOF inductions or how about interviewing a collector who specializes in All-Star game items during the All-Star break, etc. Jay.

TNTtoys
07-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Has anyone seen this interview surface anywhere on the web? I am sorry to have missed it and would love to see a copy if one exists... thanks!

hblakewolf
07-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks to everyone for the warm words. I had no idea how much footage would be included, but was pleased with the overall story and "15 seconds of fame". The Producer flew in from Washington DC, and the camercrew/audio crew were local. It took about an hour for them to set up in my back yard, 15 minutes for the interview, and then we spent about an hour inside my home talking about the collection and having them shoot footage of the bats, jerseys, etc. I was surprised that they did not include the shot of my Ripken, Gwynn and MAC jerseys, however.

I have asked the Producer for a DVD of the show, and expect to get it soon. Other than this copy and a VHS I made, I have not seen it surface on the web or Youtube. I have to believe, however, that it will repeat during the next few weeks. Trying to locate a schedule for Outside the Lines is impossible-no idea where one exists.

I'm still seeking a few game used McGwire items for my collection including:
A's jerseys-with team LOA only
A's helmet
A's jacket with embroidered NOB
Cards helmet
Cards pre-game with NOB

Thanks again-
Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

possum
07-10-2007, 01:49 PM
Possum
I'm sorry you feel this thread got off track.There was a question that was asked and some of us chimed in on it.

Carlie Medina III
Yeah I understand. I couldn't dislike Mark or Barry more than I already do, but it so rare that our community gets major public airtime like this that we should keep it to congratulating Howard. He did a great job. Just my honest opinion. :)

TNTtoys
07-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Trying to locate a schedule for Outside the Lines is impossible-no idea where one exists.

Howard,

I managed to find this on ESPN's website:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espntv/espnShow?showID=SRON

However, all it manages to state is the time that the segment airs, but not the content. Not sure if there is any way to find out which editions air when.

Nick

TNTtoys
07-10-2007, 02:50 PM
I managed to find this as well, however, when I clicked the 'video' link, I got nothing. Might be an issue with my firewall...can anyone else out there check?

sylbry
07-10-2007, 03:48 PM
I found that too. You may have had a "pop up" blocker enabled, thus preventing the video from loading. However you didn't miss much as it is only a 30 second clip showing McGwire in front of congress with the St Louis sportswriter commenting on his performance.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/index?more=true

A received a jersey from Howard the day before the show aired so it was nice to see who I got it from.

Thanks Howard for the Morneau.

Bryan

TNTtoys
07-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Bryan,

I did eventually see the clip. I realized what was going on and then took the link of the broadband site and pasted it into my browser -- and voila... one quick, disappointing video snipet that I had seen on their site weeks ago.

I then checked the original link to the video to find that it is listed as an "upcoming story" -- the referring page probably was done before the interview was even compiled... which possibly means that a piece of that interview may be available in days/weeks to come.

Nick

skyking26
07-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Can someone let me know when the interview will be on again or if I can evenyually view on internet? Email me at skyking442@hotmail.com

Thanks - Bob

Nathan
07-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Just caught this episode a few minutes ago. Howard, I'll give you $8 for your McGwire collection.:p