PDA

View Full Version : Jason Varitek bat question

Number9
07-06-2007, 12:35 AM
Have seen plenty of Jason Varitek GU bats with tape just on the end of the handle, and have seen plenty of others with no tape. For example, there's two on ebay right now with tape, and two for sale on the forum with no tape. All show decent or great game use, have not had any tape removed, and have his 33 on the knob.

I have looked at every possible photo I can find, from Getty, wireimage etc, and just can't figure out if Varitek usually uses a taped bat, or untaped, or if he uses both equally.

Do any of you Red Sox fans that watch a lot of games know for sure, and if it varies from taped to not taped, do you know why is it that sometimes he uses a taped bat and sometimes he doesn't?
Seems like if a guy taped his bat near the knob to provide a cushion, he'd always do that, not half the time. But it sure appears like Jason is 50-50 on that.
Perhaps someone can clarify for me.

Thanks.

Nnunnari
07-06-2007, 02:42 PM
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/nunnari19/varitek.jpg

Here's a pic of 4 Varitek gamers, one of them is taped. I think it's a feel thing for Varitek depending on the size of the bat. He might tape a bat for hitting righty or lefty but the Varitek gamer that I own is untaped and has ball marks on both sides of the barrel.

Nick

33bird
07-21-2007, 04:13 PM
I don't know -check out this photo I found of Varitek gamers. All bats are taped. AND-a picture of the 2007 gamer I just got from Ball Park Heroes with taped handle.
Greg

Number9
07-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Hi Greg,
I think all the 2007s are taped but I have found actual photos of him using taped AND not taped bats before 2007.
I am at work now so the only one photo I have handy is this one from July of 2006. I cropped it to show the bat as he taps it on the plate, there is clearly no tape.
So from what I can tell he used both pre-2007. But as always I'd appreciate any more info from forum members if they have it.
Thanks.

Mike

Number9
07-21-2007, 06:15 PM
PS, that's a great bat rack photo Greg. Shows at least three different versions of the '33' writing style on the knob, all in the rack at the same time.

Number9
07-22-2007, 01:09 AM
Here's an April 2005 bat with no tape. I have seen photos from 2005 with tape too.