PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Boston Red Sox Jerseys

sandman02910
01-16-2006, 08:54 AM
Can anyone please tell me what the tagging should look like on 2005 Boston Red Sox Home Jerseys that are game used. I have seen many different tags for Manny Ramirez but would like to know if anyone has any experience in the purchasing of other players jerseys and what the tagging looked like.
Thanks
Scott

gameused
01-16-2006, 01:57 PM
Scott,

Here's some pics of Kevin Millar, David Ortiz and a couple of Manny Ramirez home jerseys from 2005, you can see the home jerseys all have strip tagging. I'm not sure if all the Red Sox 2005 jerseys were tagged this way, but all the pics of Red Sox 2005 jerseys that I ran across so far all show strip tagging.

Bobby

sandman02910
01-16-2006, 02:12 PM
Bobby,
Thanks for the reply and pics. Have you seen any 2005 Red Sox Jerseys that do not have a strip tag. Instead that have the Majestic tag and size flap tag but also have the 0062 wash code tag sewn into the tail.
Thanks
Scott

gameused
01-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Here's a David Ortiz 2005 road jersey with strip tagging.

kingjammy24
01-16-2006, 02:33 PM
Bobby did a phenominal job finding those pics of Ortiz and Millar with their jerseys hanging out in 2005.
For 2005 RedSox jerseys, I have seen both the strip tagging and the size flag tag only. See image below:

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/3561/redsox8ib.jpg

I'm not enough of a Red Sox and/or modern game used jersey aficianado
to know for certain which one was used. (I would curious to know; if you removed the strip tagging on those Leland's '05 Red Sox jerseys, would
there be a size flag tag underneath?). At any rate, I would offer this common sense advice: Given Bobby's photos and in the absence of any other conclusive evidence, wouldn't you feel more comfortable purchasing an '05 Red Sox jersey with strip tagging?
It's not to say the Red Sox used strip tagging for every single game, but
at worst, you can rest assured they definitely used it for some of their games. Not a bad worst case scenario.

Rudy.

gameused
01-16-2006, 02:36 PM
Scott,

Contact Rob at authenticgamers.com, I just noticed a 2005 Edgar Renteria with the size and the 0062 tag on his website. I remember he had a Manny 2005 Jersey on his site earlier, I dont recall what type of tagging it had.

Bobby

http://authenticgamers.com/renteria.05.rj.html

hblakewolf
01-16-2006, 04:21 PM
Forum Readers-
Although there are 2005 Red Sox jerseys in the hobby void of the strip tag, Bobby has once again done a great job providing photos of the 2005 gamers, all WITH strip tags.

Before we jump conclusions, is it possible for Bobby to locate additional photos of players wearing their gamers from 2005 WITHOUT the strip tag showing? If photos are located, we can all stop speculating, and base our beliefs on fact, rather than opinion.

Possibly other Forum Readers can locate game shots as well, showing the Majestic tagging, however, void of the strip tagging.

Likewise, can the same be done for 2005 Braves jerseys?

Any help is appreciated.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

RobSteinmetz
01-16-2006, 04:41 PM
I have been in communication with Scott via email, but I thought I'd also post my response here in the forum. It is my understanding that those Red Sox jerseys found without a year tag were used early in the 2005 season, or issued to players that might have been called up or acquired during the season. It appears as though most Red Sox jerseys in 2005 had the year strip tag in the tail, but a jersey void of that tagging isn't automatically bad or questionable. Anyone who has had a lot of experience with current Majestic jerseys knows that it is extremely dangerous to paint with broad strokes. At best, this company has been consistently inconsistent with regard to tagging.

I hope this helps.

Best,

Rob Steinmetz
www.authenticgamers.com (http://www.authenticgamers.com)
authenticgamers@aol.com

hblakewolf
01-16-2006, 05:12 PM
I agree with Rob, Majestic tagging is all over the board, however, let's reference Bobby's amazing photos in his earlier post that clearly indicates a strip tag was used on the Red Sox 2005 jerseys.

I ask that Bobby or a fellow reader locate and post photos of ANY 2005 Red Sox jersey VOID of the Majestic strip tag. We now know that the Sox/Majestic did employ this tag. Can we prove via photos that the Sox also used shirts void of the tag?

Homework, folks. Let's base our posts on facts, and in this case, photographic proof.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

RobSteinmetz
01-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Considering the scarcity of photos that reveal the actual tagging on a jersey on a player's back on the field, I think posting ANY photos like this would be most beneficial to collectors (regardless or year, team, or player).

gameused
01-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Howard & Rob,

I checked on all the Red Sox photos that I have from 2005, I did find a photo of Edgar Renteria with teamates which I have enhanced and made larger, if you look closely at Renteria's jersey you can see the Majestic tag and below that there is no strip tagging, its hard to tell if the small size tag is attached. So the Red Sox did use both types of tagging on there jerseys during the 2005 season.

Rudy,

Your the expert with the photo software, can you enhance this photo further so we can get a good shot of the tag on Renteria's jersey?

Howard, I checked for pics I have of Braves players from 2005 and did not have anything with jersey tagging showing, I'll let you know if I find anything.

Thanks, Bobby

kingjammy24
01-17-2006, 12:44 AM
Bobby:

re: the photo. Unfortunately, the interpolation in current consumer-grade image software isn't good enough to enlarge that tag so it would be clear. (I don't have whatever they seem to use on 'Law & Order').

On your most recent pic, there doesn't appear to be a strip tag. (Also, it seems like David Ortiz's left arm has just turned into a baseball bat with a flag on it).

I've cobbled together a couple images below. The only 2005 images I found for the Red Sox were on jerseys they gave to 'honorary guests'. There's a pic of Wade Boggs throwing out the first pitch at some championship series and former Red Sox Dave Roberts picking up his 2004 W.S. ring at the start of the 2005 season. I wonder where they got those jerseys? Makes me wonder if it's the 'spares' that are tagged with only a size tag? Teams order spares for call-ups, trades, etc. Jerseys get stolen, given away, sold, damaged, etc. Spares are necessary. It's difficult to tag a spare with specific information though. So perhaps the 'size tag only' jerseys were the spares for the Red Sox in 2005? And thus also given to 'honorary guests' like Boggs and Roberts? Just an idea.

The other pics were thrown in simply because Rob Steinmetz said he thought it'd be neat if any pics could be found with jerseys hanging out.
Many are blurry. I thought they might be fun to see anyway.

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/3622/jerseys4bv.jpg

Rudy.

gameused
01-17-2006, 04:31 AM
Rudy,

Great job on the pics on the jersey tagging. That dominican flag that appears to be a bat on David Ortiz is his wrist band.

Bobby

sandman02910
01-17-2006, 03:43 PM
I'd like to thank all of you for your work in helping to answer my question. From what I gather from the information all of you provided it would be more likely for a call up like Papelbon who was called up on July 31st to have his jerseys tagged without the strip tag and only have the size flag tag as well as the 0062 wash code tag. Papelbon in particular is the person I am curious about.
Thanks
Scott

calcarsea@aol.com
01-17-2006, 08:55 PM
Several weeks ago the Red Soxs offered 4 2005 Game used jerseys for sale on the MLB.com auction site. I bought the Schilling and a friend of mine bought the Damon. All 4 of the jerseys were used during the first home game of the season. Damon's was used for his ring presentation, the others were for the game. All 4 jerseys have the strip tagging and under the strip tag the small size tag is still in place.
These jerseys were shipped directly from 4 Yawkey Way, I do not think there can be any doubt about their correctness.
Recently, another friend of mine bought a Manny jersey from Steiner. They were offering a home and road of both Manny and David Ortiz. They e-mailed me photos of the tagging and all jerseys had the strip tagging.
They were selling them as game used and stated that they were sourced directly for the Red Sox. We just received the Manny home today and it also has the original small size tag still in place under the strip tag.
Another interesting thing about Manny's jersey, is that it does not have any clay, dirt or tar stains on it. WOW a first !!
Personally, after reading this forum for the past year and a half, the biggest thing that I take from it is to know what you are buying and who you are buying it from. I learned that a little too late.
Thanks,
Dave

gameused
01-17-2006, 09:08 PM
Dave,

Do you mind telling me how much was paid for the Schilling and the Damon jerseys?

Also, what does Steiner charge for a Manny or Ortiz game used jersey and were the jerseys signed?

Thanks, Bobby

calcarsea@aol.com
01-18-2006, 06:45 PM
I e-mailed the requested information directly to Bobby, If anyone else wants the same information just let me know.
Thanks,
Dave

kingjammy24
01-18-2006, 07:17 PM
Dave,

Great info. Interesting to know that the little size tag is actually underneath the strip tag. This makes me wonder if the strip tagging is sewn up at a local shop in Boston.
I'm assuming the Damon jersey was used for both the presentation and the game. (It wouldn't make much sense for Damon to wear 1 jersey
for the ring presentation and then quickly change into another before the game started). The Dave Roberts pic below shows Roberts at that ring presentation wearing a jersey with only the size tag. Seeing as how I doubt Roberts brought his own jersey (note the sleeve patch which I believe was only worn for that 1 home opener), it most likely came from the RedSox. This indicates to me that the RedSox locker room has jerseys with both the strip tag and the size tag only.

Rudy.

sandman02910
01-18-2006, 07:54 PM
Are the players given the option of keeping there own jerseys at the end of the season or does the team keep them. I did confirm last night that Jonathan Papelbon did indeed wear jerseys with just the size flag tag and also confirmed that he did wear a size 52 in Portland, size 50 in Pawtucket and a 54 in Boston. What I forgot to ask was if he has a set of jerseys of his own from this year. Would it be common for a player being called up in the end of July to receive more than one home and road jersey?

RobSteinmetz
01-18-2006, 09:58 PM
Dave,

I'm assuming the Damon jersey was used for both the presentation and the game. (It wouldn't make much sense for Damon to wear 1 jersey
for the ring presentation and then quickly change into another before the game started).

Rudy.

I may be wrong about this, but I think I recall hearing that the special gold-trimmed Red Sox jerseys were worn for the ring presentation only, then the players changed into regular home jerseys. Any Boston fans out there that can confirm/deny this?

Rob Steinmetz
www.authenticgamers.com (http://www.authenticgamers.com)
authenticgamers@aol.com

gamer35
01-18-2006, 10:42 PM
Rob, that is correct. They wore their regular home jerseys with the 2004 WS Champions patch. The Red Sox had initially planned to auction all of those ceremonial opening day jerseys off on mlb.com, but I only saw a few of them.

kingjammy24
01-18-2006, 11:30 PM
re: special gold-trimmed jerseys worn for the ring ceremony only

Woops! I thought I saw a gold hue around the "Red Sox" lettering but it was so subtle that I just thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. The gold outline is (barely) evident in the picture I posted of Dave Roberts.

Rudy.

calcarsea@aol.com
01-19-2006, 10:32 AM
Yes, The ring jersey has gold outline on all letters, numbers and even the 2004 World Champ patch. They wore them when receiving their rings and they then switched to the opening day jersey, which is just the normal home with the special patch.
They only sold 4 the these jerseys, but they still have several more. I had a list the the remaining jerseys and it is suprising that more of the players did not keep theirs.