PDA

View Full Version : Chas Gehringer Game Use Bat

JBrad
07-05-2007, 09:46 AM
I have a game used, baseball bat that was given to my great grandmother from Chas Gehringer. This bat is dark wooded, is Hand Turned, is Spalding trade marked and has "Gehringer" stamped on the large end. The bat still has the red ribbon Chas tied around the bat when he gave it to my great grandmother. I believe the bat can be athenticated. I am currently having a framed glass case built to hang on my wall that will include the bat,,, some very early and old original Detriot Tiger pictures of Chas and an original signed baseball. My question of course is what might be the value of this item or what might be the best service to give me an idea of value. This is a family heirloom (sp?) and an item that I am not interested in selling.

A little history,,, My grandfather was born in Fowlerville, MI and grew up with Chas Gehringer. My great grandmother and Chas Gehringer's mother where best friends.

Sorry for the poor quality of picture submitted.

brianborsch
07-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Dang, that bat looks super nice! It must be worth thousands of dollars considering that it is a Pro model possible game used bat. Even if it was unused and just a pro model that would be very pricey.

I wish I could have a bat like that. Great piece!

JBrad
07-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Brian thanks,,, don't really know how much it is worth. I am thinking about sending it to Vince Malta to get authenticated though.

ghostkid
07-05-2007, 04:40 PM
I'd guess the bat is worth in the neighborhood of $5000, maybe more given the provenance.

Kevin Kasper

JBrad
07-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Hope your right Kevin,,,, we'll see.... Hey,, as long as I'm asking questions,,, What about the original photos I have? Can someone suggest a place on the web where I can try and determine if in fact they are original and or if they have any value?

adriancardenas12
07-16-2007, 12:02 AM
hey check your post about cardenas used jersey and stuff. im interested in your stuff.my email is david54riske@aol.com thanks

JBrad
07-05-2009, 07:33 PM
I have yet to determine an accurate value of this bat. The issue has come up again as I have recently moved and am updating insurance. Anyone have any ideas or care to suggest a method to determine the value of this bat?

earlywynnfan
07-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Go to www.mearsonline.com (http://www.mearsonline.com) and try to reach Dave Bushing. He'll help you.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

scottanservitz
07-05-2009, 10:46 PM
First off, that bat is beautiful.....very cool. The second being your photos can be authenticated by PSA and possibly SGC. They grade them as TYPE I, II or III. I believe they can tell if they were developed off the original negative which I believe is TYPE I. If they are reproduced then it goes II and III. Don't quote me, but I think that is how they do it. Go to their website at psacard.com and look around and I believe they can grade them for you. Hope this helps.
Scott

JBrad
07-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Scott and Ken,,, thanks for your information... Scott,,, you maybe interested to know that I'm finding amazing things out about the photos I have. They appear to be originals taken by Charles M Conlon who apparently became very famous for his baseball photos of the era. Also, I never noticed this on the photos before but on the back of these photos is what appears to be Gehringers autograph in pencil. I'm going to send these photos to Marshall Fogel for authentication. Thanks again for putting me on the right track!