PDA

View Full Version : Would Nike Really Do This? / Ken Griffey Jr Cleats

jayt1234
07-05-2007, 09:20 AM
I am in now way questioning the validity of these Ken Griffey Jr cleats, but....I mean would Nike really have one of there star athletes color there cleats with marker?

http://cgi.ebay.com/KEN-GRIFFEY-JR-1994-AUTO-SIGNED-GAME-USED-NIKE-CLEATS_W0QQitemZ220128045976QQihZ012QQcategoryZ53Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://i17.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/a8/a2/4c6c_1.JPG

Jay

hblakewolf
07-05-2007, 09:47 AM
The shoes in question, although hard to believe, are legit. Nike actually supplied Jr. with the teal colored pen, too!

I purchased quite a few game used items directly from Griffey's "partners", and had a pair of these. I was told this same story about the pen, and confirmed it with Griffey before a game.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

ALWAYS BUYING PHILLIES, PORTLAND BEAVERS AND PORTLAND MAVERICKS JERSEYS

jayt1234
07-05-2007, 10:06 AM
I am not that into baseball items, but I am going to track these to see how much they go for. I started collecting game used Dallas Cowboys items this past December and way overpaid for some cleats so I am trying to get a feel for what game used cleats go for regardless of the sport.

Thank You,

Jay

B1SON
07-05-2007, 12:19 PM
That completely floors me that they made Griffey color his own shoes. WOW! ;)

RyanZimmerman11
07-05-2007, 12:28 PM
That completely floors me that they made Griffey color his own shoes. WOW! ;)

I heard of this years ago. But this is the first time I actually saw the shoe up close. Pretty neat if you ask me.

It's "odd" but since it's known that they were colored like that I would have no problem owning a pair ;)

Not to mention they're signed. Griff has a sweet sig. ;)

Carlevv
07-05-2007, 08:44 PM
The Orioles used to travel with a bunch of orange paint pens. Jim or Fred Tyler (brothers) the equipement would give them to guys to color their shoes orange. Nike wasnt making orange swooshes for them so guys would color them orange. As far as Griffey, he always wanted to have different stuff than other guys. That would seperate him from others like some sort of star treatment i guess. His stuff is always cool to have. I like those teal shoes.

B1SON
07-07-2007, 05:51 PM
They are definitely cool, but I would NEVER have believed (until I saw it and heard from several sources) that it's true.

The Orioles used to travel with a bunch of orange paint pens. Jim or Fred Tyler (brothers) the equipement would give them to guys to color their shoes orange. Nike wasnt making orange swooshes for them so guys would color them orange. As far as Griffey, he always wanted to have different stuff than other guys. That would seperate him from others like some sort of star treatment i guess. His stuff is always cool to have. I like those teal shoes.

cammy collector
07-25-2007, 12:55 AM
the cleats on the right were customized as well. as some of you guys have said, he was notorious for doing so...

-Mike

http://aycu24.webshots.com/image/17623/2001750343763534574_rs.jpg

joelsabi
08-28-2010, 11:50 AM
The shoes in question, although hard to believe, are legit. Nike actually supplied Jr. with the teal colored pen, too!

I purchased quite a few game used items directly from Griffey's "partners", and had a pair of these. I was told this same story about the pen, and confirmed it with Griffey before a game.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

ALWAYS BUYING PHILLIES, PORTLAND BEAVERS AND PORTLAND MAVERICKS JERSEYS

I have heard the same story about teal colored pens from Scott from Mill Creek. The big large swoosh was not colored in just the small swoosh and "AROD."

baines3
08-28-2010, 12:51 PM
I have a pair of Harold Baines Orioles cleats and they are colored with an orange marker on the swoosh.

joelsabi
08-28-2010, 01:00 PM
I have a pair of Harold Baines Orioles cleats and they are colored with an orange marker on the swoosh.

Those would be cool.

These are just the backs. They used white thread on the backs but on a later prototype they used colored thread on the backs. I need to locate them and show you the difference.