PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Biggio! 3000th hit!

AstrosCollector
06-28-2007, 10:14 PM
My favorite player of all time is now a member of the 3000 hit club! Way to go Bidge!

eGameUsed
06-29-2007, 12:52 AM
Andy and Others,

Tonight was one of my favorite nights I can remember in following the Astros. I was blessed to attend many significant games with my father, including Bagwell's 3 HR night in 1999, the Jeff Kent HR in the 2004 Playoffs, the 2005 Chris Burke Game Winning 18th Inning HR, both Game 3 and 4 of the 2005 World Series. But no other ballgame was as special as seeing Biggio trying for his 1000th Extra Base Hit tonight, and by the way, getting his 3000th Career Hit. I am so glad me and my father could see it, smile, and shake hands. He didn't get that 1000th extra base hit like he was trying for, but he tried. It was the story of his career. At 41 years old, going 5 for 6, with 2 infield singles. Incredible! I have seen, heard, or read the box score, from every Biggio hit of his career, and I am proud to have witnessed the game tonight.

3002 and Counting! Next Stop Cooperstown! Thanks for the memories Craig!

Thanks,

mr.miracle
06-29-2007, 09:29 AM
Congrats to a great player in Biggio. Hey Chris, any ideas on Biggio's future? Does he plan to play beyond this year? I am hearing that the Astro's plan to start playing him more less trying to work in some of the younger guys and see what they can do now that he has 3000. Any idea if this is true or not? I believe he turns 42 in December so is one more season in the works or not?

mr.miracle
06-29-2007, 09:30 AM
Congrats to a great player in Biggio. Hey Chris, any ideas on Biggio's future? Does he plan to play beyond this year? I am hearing that the Astro's plan to start playing him more less trying to work in some of the younger guys and see what they can do now that he has 3000. Any idea if this is true or not? I believe he turns 42 in December so is one more season in the works or not?

Sorry, playing him less, not playing him more is what I meant to say.

AstrosCollector
06-29-2007, 01:05 PM
I have heard that they will play Biggio mainly at home and will go with Chris Burke or Mark Loretta on the road. Biggio has always said that he will know when it is time to hang 'em up, he won't drag it out. I just got this feeling last night watching his press conference, when they asked him what is the plan beyond this year, that this is probably his last season.

Great night last night in Houston! Way to go Bidge!

33bird
06-29-2007, 01:18 PM
On ESPN radio this morning they had Biggio 50/50 to get into the HOF. Kind of surprised me. They said he really never led the league in anything except getting hit. Was never the best player in the league, and probably not the best 2b during his years with Sanberg and Kent, etc. I still think he gets in and only 1255 hits more to go to catch Rose (LOL).
Greg

RyanZimmerman11
06-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Anyone, including these radio hosts, who thinks Biggio isn't a lock for the HOF is crazy.

3000 hits is an automatic ticket to the Hall. Period. Always has been, always will be.

Not to mention that I believe he has the most doubles for any second basemen in history.....don't quote me, I think I saw that somewhere.

And sure, he led the league with hbp several times...not even a Hall worthy stat...barely a discussion worthy stat.

Bottom line is that Biggio is one of the last of a dying breed. He played his entire career (18 yrs?) for Houston, which in my book shows HUGE amounts of loyalty. They inturn were loyal to him. He switched postions (several times) when he either needed to or was asked to. When have you ever heard one negative thing about him? Other than him being asked to not were the charity foundation pin he wore on his cap each ST...every year. Which I think was despicable by those that complained about it.

He defines the term "gamer".

In todays times on the "almighty longball", Biggio wasn't a masher. But either were Gwynn or Boggs.

Regardless of how anyone feels, Biggio should (and more than likely will) be a first ballot inductee.

On a personal note, I had the chance to meet him once back in 1990 (I believe). If you got to talk to him for a few minutes, you'd autmatically be a fan. ;) He was that nice of a guy. He took time to throw the ball around with me and a friend. Just there, in the middle of the street playing catch with Craig Biggio....great memory of a great player and a good guy.

Just my .02