PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT: NFL Crackdown?

Eric
06-28-2007, 06:07 PM
NFL, AA Police Investigating Sports Memorabilia

(AP) PASADENA, Md. Anne Arundel County Police and NFL investigators have confiscated $20,000 of autographed sports jerseys.

The jerseys came from Charm City Sports in Pasadena where the store's owner said police received a tip. He said an NFL investigator checked his store last week for signed merchandise.

Police spokesman Corporal Mark Shawkey said they're conducting an investigation. But he wouldn't comment on the Pasadena sports store.

Owner Chris Evans said the sports jerseys taken from his store were worth $20,000. Evans said the Ravens and Orioles jerseys were taken June 20 by county police investigators

http://wjz.com/local/local_story_179110737.html

kneerat
06-29-2007, 09:00 AM
I hope there are more crackdowns like this in the future. There are so many fake autographs that still swarm eBay that it isn't even funny.
A coworker recently had me check eBay for Favre autos and I was very surprised to still see so many fakes. I thought eBay had this problem controlled a little more than in past years, but it seemed as bad as ever.

Eric
06-29-2007, 11:41 AM
More raids to come?

Store owner: Police seized sports jerseys

PASADENA - The owner of a sports memorabilia store said yesterday that county police and seized $20,000 worth of autographed sports jerseys as part of a widespread investigation of unlicensed sports memorabilia.

Chris Evans, owner of Charm City Sports on Mountain Road, said detectives came to his store June 20 and confiscated autographed Ravens and Orioles jerseys.

Cpl. Mark Shawkey, a county police spokesman, would not comment on Charm City Sports except to say that police are conducting an ongoing investigation.

"All I can say is that it's part of a bigger investigation," Cpl. Shawkey said.

Mr. Evans said police were acting on a tip from an investigator with the National Football League, who entered the store last week to check his signed merchandise.

"If I'm guilty of anything, so is every other dealer around the state and even the country," Mr. Evans said.

http://www.hometownglenburnie.com/vault/cgi-bin/gazette/view/2007G/06/27-02.HTM

ChuckFoPrez
06-29-2007, 01:32 PM
The real autographs on fake jerseys is something else. Too bad authenticators can't authenticate the jersey too. That'd help IMMENSELY.

geoff
06-29-2007, 01:37 PM
Wow I just called this store last week because he has a contract with Nick Markakis so I thought.

hobbs1469
07-04-2007, 11:08 AM
"I hope there are more crackdowns like this in the future. There are so many fake autographs that still swarm eBay that it isn't even funny.
A coworker recently had me check eBay for Favre autos and I was very surprised to still see so many fakes. I thought eBay had this problem controlled a little more than in past years, but it seemed as bad as ever."

It is not the autographs that are fake. The NFL is saying that the jerseys are not authentic. Actually, The NFL has raided more than 5 stores in the Dc/Baltimore area. The stores are legitimate business's with both public and private signings. IMO, if you want more crackdowns, you better get ready to pay another $200-$300 per jersey.

Eric
07-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Any info on the other crackdowns? Are these people selling fake NFL Authentics?

My hope would be that they would crackdown on the people selling fake game used items. Makes sense that they would because the league makes money on the stuff and someone is trying to take that money from them.

Ripken
07-04-2007, 08:35 PM
Click the news tab above and you'll see a story on this issue.

Eric
07-05-2007, 10:21 PM
from hometownannapolis.com
http://www.hometownannapolis.com/cgi-bin/read/2007/07_05-14/TOP

Counterfeit sting fines three stores

GLEN BURNIE - County police confiscated $320,000 worth of phoney brand-name merchandise from four vendors in Pasadena and Glen Burnie late last month after receiving complaints from the trademark manufacturer.

The seizures took place after a maker of NFL-licensed clothing contacted police and informed them that fake versions of their goods were being sold around the county, said Cpl. Mark Shawkey, a county police spokesman.

On June 19, detectives served a search warrant at Charm City Sports, at 2441 E. Mountain Road.

Police took counterfeit clothing and memorabilia. Charges are pending for the store's owners.

On June 23, officers confiscated phoney designer handbags, baseball hats, DVDs and sunglasses from two different vendors at Brumwells Flea Market, at 3919 Mountain Road.

About $290,000 worth of counterfeit merchandise was taken by police, Cpl. Shawkey said.

Guangding Yu, 53, of Fresh Meadows, N.Y., was charged with counterfeiting a trademark over $1,000 and counterfeiting a trademark under $1,000. Two other charges are pending in that incident, police said.

Four days later, officers served a warrant at All Jerseys Store, at 6711 Ritchie Highway, and confiscated shirts and baseball caps. Charges are pending for the owners.