PDA

View Full Version : Help Wanted: Vintage Authentics seeks motivated writer

skipcareyisfat
06-27-2007, 03:28 PM
I just wanted to point out yet another outstanding Vintage Authentics auction lot description and photo selection. You'll honestly find better photos and more informational copy in most eBay auctions than you will throughout a standard VA catalog...

http://vintageauthentics.at.truition.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=84430947&prmenbr=57735959&aunbr=84777657

Jorge Posada is a 4-time all star and fan favorite? Thanks for clearing that up. And the helmet actually has the "original interior padded crown?" Wow! I didn't think those existed. And thanks, too, for including that incredibly telling shot of the ear flap and forehead padding. I didn't want to see the back of it anyway. From the pics and details, it is without doubt a genuine Posada gamer. Forget about the fact that the "consistent medium game use evidence throughout the interior and exterior" is sort of a red flag for Posada helmets, which are typically hammered. And who cares that there are no numbers on the brim, or that there's no mention of a Steiner connection? You found a buyer here. Plus, it passed the famously rigorous Lou Lampson examination.

Are they trying to sell this for as low a price as possible? Or do they love wasting time answering questions that could've been answered with a decent description and set of photos? So this is what a 15 or 20 percent seller's fee buys. Sign me up.

aeneas01
06-28-2007, 07:13 AM
how about the swann helmet?

"...however for full disclosure, PSA/DNA was not able to authenticate the two signatures."

i don't know anything about nor am i interested in autographs, but aren't they saying that psa/dna didn't buy the sigs? that can't be a good thing!

the helmet is beautiful but, imo, impossible to tell if it ever belonged to swann - it was at least big of va to mention that the facemask clips were not original (most likely helmet hut reproductions).

the riddell m155 helmet, which is what swann wore, is an interesting animal in that the interiors always seem to look factory fresh even after use. i have quite a few in my collection, all game used, and the interiors of each one look as if they have never seen a melon - pristine, just like the swann helmet up for auction.

it does appear that the round steeler decal is authentic - i have a couple of game used steeler helmets from that era. the unique thing about the steelers decal from that period is that they were unlike most (all?) other helmet decals from that era or this era. the best way to describe them is "cheap" - rather than being made of the typical sturdy translucent/ colored vinyl, they were made of a thin sort of paper that was lightly coated. because of this they couldn't stretch to fit the form of the helmet and they tore and faded very easily. as a matter of fact, the steelers equipment manager had to cut 4 slices into the decal in order for it to stick evenly along the contour of the helmet shell - if the slices weren't made, it would have wrinkled when applied given that it had no stretch. anyway, these decal cuts are evident in the va helmet....