PDA

View Full Version : Help with Ichiro Glove

blue227
06-26-2007, 04:45 AM
Hi, I am a relative newbie to the world of game used/issued equipment and wanted to get some input from the other board members on a recent acquisition. Here's the situation:

I recently purchased a Mizuno glove from someone in Japan that I have come to believe was made for Ichiro during his U.S. rookie season by Mizuno's master glove-maker Nobuyoshi Tsubota (who has sometimes been referred to as "Yoshi Tsubota"). As background for those who aren't familiar with the name, the 70+ year old Tsubota personally hand makes the gloves for Ichiro and Matsui and was a recipient of Japan's Ministry of Labor's "Contemporary Master Craftsman" award for his contributions to the game of baseball.

I have my doubts that the glove was game used since Ichiro seems pretty attached to his equipment and doesn't seem the type to give away his personal glove. My guess is that the glove is a game issued specimen that was made for Ichiro by Tsubota but probably wasn't used in a game.

It wasn't until after I purchased the glove that I was able to do some research and could photo-match the glove's leather color (dark blue), logo patch color (gold), and embroidered script font and color (cursive; white) to an photo of Ichiro from on Getty Images' website that was taken during his rookie season.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa217/blue227/Ichiroglove1.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa217/blue227/GettyImage5160070725Apr2001.jpg

The inside of the glove was stamped with some Japanese kanji characters that I was recently able to confirm is the mark that Tsubota stamps on all the gloves he personally makes (see links below).

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa217/blue227/Ichiroglove2.jpg

http://www.kansai.gr.jp/culture_e/takumi_e/artisans_e/b10_e.html

Now that i've been able to gather all this information on the glove, I wanted to ask the board members for their thoughts on what to do next. I'm interested in getting a reputable third party to hopefully confirm and authenticate what I've been able to piece together or my own.

At some point down the road, I'd be interested in selling the glove and would like to get some input from the other BBS members on the best venue for doing so.

Also, i'd be curious to hear what others think the glove might fetch on the open market. I heard that Mill Creek Sports sold an Ichiro glove (that came directly from Ichiro and/or his agent) that they claimed was game used (but didn't look like it got much use from the pics i've seen) for $25,000. The MCS glove was autographed by Ichiro and came with a MCS certificate of authenticity -- two big pluses that helps credibility that my glove doesn't have.

Thanks in advance for your input.

blue227
07-02-2007, 04:25 PM
Can anyone recommend a good firm to try for glove authentication services? I see that Mears Online offers the service but it seems like their primary focus is on bats & jerseys.

Eric
07-02-2007, 05:58 PM
Your best bet is to talk to Dennis Esken. He is the most knowledgeable person I have come in contact with.

Let me see if I can dig up a way to get in contact with him. Can you email me at ecky3@aol.com to give me your info in case he wants to contact you?

Thanks
Eric

Eric
07-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Dennis Esken was nice enough to help out here and he presented the following info...

As far as the Ichiro glove, it was not used by
Ichiro. There are a handful of those exact gloves that have made it to the U.S. Ichiro oils his glove with a leather conditioner that Mizuno make. His
glove is very well broken in before game use. He spreads his glove fingers and leaves his thumb and pinkey loops loose. The value of that Ichro glove is about $500.00 in U.S. currency. By the way, I have one of those gloves that was sent to me about five years ago from Mizuno Japan.

He also added this...

Ichiro gloves were not offered in retail versions other than the one's that Mizuno U.S.A. sell in the U.S.. The one's with Ichiro embroidered were made for special people inside Mizuno Japan. They are not retail. That doesn't make it issued. Issued is when it is issued to Ichiro not a Mizuno employee.

Thanks to Dennis