PDA

View Full Version : Manny Bat Question?

scottanservitz
06-22-2007, 08:12 AM
Ok, Jon or any other Manny bat expert out there. I have a 2001 Rawlings Manny Ramirez game used bat. It was purchased from Taube and has the PSA paperwork as to authenticity. It matches everything as far as length and weight and I have some photos from Getty with Manny using this style of bat. It has a few ball marks on the barrel as well. My question is has Manny taped his bats in this fashion? It is the criss cross style similar to Griffey but with wider tape. I enclosed pics of the bat. It is really nice and living near Cleveland I really was fortunate to watch Manny become the beast of a hitter he is today. Thanks for the help!

Scott

jon_8_us
06-22-2007, 11:25 AM
I personally have never seen a Manny bat with criss cross tape or seen Manny do it during a game.But thats not to say that it hasn't happened.Manny has experimented much during his career with all sorts of bats,tape jobs etc.What i can tell you is the autograph is good as much as i hate that style of his signature.Another thing Manny has switched up on much in his career!Could you post a picture of the knob?And barell end if there is a # there?Thanks
jon

jon_8_us
06-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Also where are the seam indentation/ball marks located on the barrel
jon

Nnunnari
06-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Scott,

I have an earlier Manny bat from his Indians days with a criss-cross tape job and I have seen another Manny bat with the same tape job.

Nick

Carlevv
06-22-2007, 07:18 PM
Please post a close up of the tape job.

scottanservitz
06-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Ok, here we go. The knob has 32 and Ramirez written in pencil. The ball marks are about an inch and a half to two inches above the Big Stick on the barrel. Very concentrated with about 5-6 good ones there. There are also seam marks and impressions. There are two ball marks a bit farther down, but as I stated the majority of the damage is above the Big Stick. I hope the pictures show well enough. Thanks to Nick for his insight as I have seen a couple Indians bats with the number on the knob very similar along with the sig. I've read in other posts about the hit pattern of Manny which I thought were above the label area. Jon, let me know what you think. Carlevv, I will try to get close ups of the tape later. There is pine tar on the bat, but not excessive like some of Manny's later bats. Thanks again to everyone for the help.
Scott

scottanservitz
06-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Here's the tape job. Thanks.
Scott

gamer35
06-23-2007, 09:10 AM
I dont have every game from 01 archived, but I do not ever recall Manny using a bat taped in that fashion as a member of the Red Sox.

The weird thing about this batch of bats that has been floating around is that the "Rameriz" written on the knob is always spelled wrong. I would assume it was not penned by Manny himself, but interesting nonetheless. Here is an auction link to another bat I am referring to.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MANNY-RAMIREZ-SIGNED-GAME-USED-BAT-BOSTON-RED-SOX-500HR_W0QQitemZ320128689780QQihZ011QQcategoryZ6059 6QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Signature is definitely good, although I would venture to guess that it is probably a BP bat based on the tape.

staindsox
06-23-2007, 10:48 AM
Rawlings often writes the names of players on knobs at the factory. Every Rawlings I've owned has had the name and weight. This would explain the Ramirez mis-spelling. Hope this helps.

Chris

scottanservitz
06-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Gamer35,
The reason I doubt it is a bp bat is it doesn't have that many ball marks. A bp bat would be hammered with ball and stitch marks. I had an Arod G174 and it had so many ball marks I couldn't count them all. This has approximately 8-10 hit marks. Another thing about seeing this tape in any photos is the tape blends with the bat making it tough to see. I think I found a baseball card, but I can't be sure. Anyhow, thanks for the input and I'll keep on looking.
Scott

gamer35
06-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Staindsox, that makes sense given the handwriting is exactly the same. Thanks for the clarification!

gamer35
06-23-2007, 11:56 AM
Scott,
I found a pic of Manny used a criss-crossed taped bat from the 2001 All Star Game. Doesnt seem to be the same bat, but it seems like he did use criss-crossed taped bats for at least 1 game in 2001.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Manny-Ramirez-2002-Stadium-Club-All-Stars_W0QQitemZ5106707974QQihZ002QQcategoryZ56120Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

scottanservitz
06-23-2007, 12:14 PM
Ok fellas, I found one. Gettyimages.com has a photo of Manny on July 22, 2001 vs. the White Sox. It has fresh white tape in this criss cross pattern. The image number is 604883. Can anyone post it as I don't know how to do a Getty photo on here. Thanks for all the insights and help.
Scott

jon_8_us
06-23-2007, 12:18 PM
Scott,
I found a pic of Manny used a criss-crossed taped bat from the 2001 All Star Game. Doesnt seem to be the same bat, but it seems like he did use criss-crossed taped bats for at least 1 game in 2001.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Manny-Ramirez-2002-Stadium-Club-All-Stars_W0QQitemZ5106707974QQihZ002QQcategoryZ56120Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Great find!!!That about wraps it up.With the use,auto,and tape job all being undoubtedly Manny you have a great bat.In fact i have been looking for a Rawlings like this for a while.The one on ebay is way to expensive for the amount of use.What was said about it not being a BP bat is not true though.Although i don't think it's a BP bat it's always possible that any bat is(nowadays with the green balls it's easier to spot).Whats to say that Manny didn't take some BP cuts with this bat then handed it to someone??Anyhow great bat!
jon

indyred
06-23-2007, 07:10 PM
Just because that Manny card is and All Star card, doesn't mean the picture of him is from the game. They have All Star subsets in card sets and photos are just regular season shots on an All Star themed set.

jon_8_us
06-23-2007, 08:00 PM
Here you go Scott
jon

scottanservitz
06-23-2007, 09:47 PM
Jon,
That's it! Thanks to everyone for their insights and help.

Scott

Carlevv
06-23-2007, 10:38 PM
Wow, great work guys.

maineguides
06-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Forgive a newbie,

but wouldn't the black ball marks on the barrel indicate that it was a BP bat. Maybe the picture doesn't do the marks justice- and maybe i'm just way off base.

I'm lloking into a siminlar, though later moder, manny bat. they are beautiful things.

thanks

Carlevv
06-29-2007, 05:28 PM
Hey l looked at that picture of Manny swinging and had a question. The bat has caked on pine tar and a few ball marks but why is the tape so white? Looks fake or he just put it on. Kind of weird if you ask me.

jon_8_us
06-29-2007, 07:02 PM
Hey l looked at that picture of Manny swinging and had a question. The bat has caked on pine tar and a few ball marks but why is the tape so white? Looks fake or he just put it on. Kind of weird if you ask me.

I have been watching Manny swinging a Sam bat the past week or so with a new kinda tape job.The bat is caked in pine tar but the tape still appears fairly white.Take this for what it's worth...
jon

jon_8_us
06-29-2007, 07:07 PM
Forgive a newbie,

but wouldn't the black ball marks on the barrel indicate that it was a BP bat. Maybe the picture doesn't do the marks justice- and maybe i'm just way off base.

I'm lloking into a siminlar, though later moder, manny bat. they are beautiful things.

thanks

Manny bats are the best!I believe your way off base here.Black marks in no way indicate BP use....
jon

Carlevv
06-29-2007, 07:13 PM
I have been watching Manny swinging a Sam bat the past week or so with a new kinda tape job.The bat is caked in pine tar but the tape still appears fairly white.Take this for what it's worth...
jon

It just looks funny because the pine tar is thick under the tape. Why isnt there any on the tape? Just bored and making an observation.

jon_8_us
06-29-2007, 07:16 PM
It just looks funny because the pine tar is thick under the tape. Why isnt there any on the tape? Just bored and making an observation.

I don't think that is pine tar under the tape.I have seen a few Manny Rawlings like this before and the darker portion is way to uniform to be pine tar.I believe it is just a different finish on the handle.Many bats are like this
jon

jon_8_us
06-29-2007, 07:16 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/MANNY-RAMIREZ-SIGNED-GAME-USED-BAT-BOSTON-RED-SOX-500HR_W0QQitemZ320132626361QQihZ011QQcategoryZ6059 6QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Same kinda darker handle on this bat with some pine tar but very little
jon

Nnunnari
07-03-2007, 07:22 PM
guys,
I have a Manny Indians bat with a similar criss cross tape job and it is layered w/ pine tar. The tape also appears to be new, I've always wondered why this was, after a closer look I noticed that he re-taped the bat because you can see traces where the original tape was. Maybe Manny likes the white tape look? I'll post a pic when get a chance.

Nick

Carlevv
07-03-2007, 07:45 PM
Manny being Manny.

scottanservitz
07-03-2007, 08:59 PM
Carlevv,
Well said! lol

Nnunnari
07-08-2007, 08:13 PM
Here's the pic of my Manny bat, it's hammered w/ use and has a lot of pine tar, yet the criss cross tape is still rathar white.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z34/Nnunnari/L1000339.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z34/Nnunnari/L1000338.jpg

Nnunnari
07-08-2007, 08:17 PM
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z34/Nnunnari/L1000336.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z34/Nnunnari/L1000337.jpg

Nnunnari
07-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Guys,
I was told when I purchased this bat that there's a baseball card w/ Manny using this two toned Stix bat w/ a criss-cross tape job. I can't find the card, if anyone of you come across the card can you let me know. Thanks,
Nick