PDA

View Full Version : Interesting comment on hobby

Eric
06-17-2007, 09:12 PM
Hey everyone

Our friends at SportsCollectors Daily (found in the news section of game used universe) interviewed Michael O'Keeffe, author of "The Card" the book that traces the history of a PSA T206 Honus Wagner card.

As an aside, I just bought the book and cannot wait to read it. I am spoiled to read O'Keeffe's investigative sports reporting on a regular basis for the Daily News here in New York. From what I have heard, there is great stuff in the book regarding issues we discuss here- restoration and manipulation of the item.

Anyway, I thought O'Keeffe's response to one of the questions was interesting.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPORTS COLLECTORS DAILY: What’s the #1 problem with the sports card and memorabilia hobby right now?

O'KEEFFE: The authentication system for game-used memorabilia is a joke. Some of these guys write so many letters of authenticity, they can’t possibly spend more than a few seconds on each item. I think a lot of authenticators don’t know what they are talking about. And I think it is amazing that authenticators are allowed to write letters for items they own and have consigned to auctions. How the hell is that objective or independent?

Shill bidding is also a huge problem.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The entire piece can be found here
http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/latest/author-talks-about-the-card.html
Eric

TNTtoys
06-17-2007, 10:02 PM
I am spoiled to read O'Keeffe's investigative sports reporting on a regular basis for the Daily News here in New York

Eric,

I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly -- are you speaking from the point of view of a New Yorker or a Daily News employee?

Nick

Eric
06-17-2007, 10:16 PM
I'm speaking as a New Yorker. Sorry if it wasn't clear. O'Keeffe writes a lot about sports memorabilia occassionally and steroids and things like the Pacman Jones case as well.

TNTtoys
06-17-2007, 10:36 PM
I'm speaking as a New Yorker. Sorry if it wasn't clear. O'Keeffe writes a lot about sports memorabilia occassionally and steroids and things like the Pacman Jones case as well.

No problem - I wasn't familiar with his work. I can look out for it more now.

I only asked the question that way because I work in the Daily News bldg and thought it might have been interesting if another forum member (or even the founder) were that close by and never knew it.

Vintagedeputy
06-17-2007, 10:49 PM
Oh how I miss reading the sportspages in the Daily News!

Take me home, 95 North!

Eric
06-20-2007, 02:45 PM
Speaking of which, I just started read "The Card" by O'Keeffe regarding the history of the PSA 8 Honus Wagner T-206.

Interesting details about many of the industry people who deal with game used stuff.

I'm loving every page. Has anyone else read it?
Eric

B1SON
06-20-2007, 11:00 PM
Speaking of which, I just started read "The Card" by O'Keeffe regarding the history of the PSA 8 Honus Wagner T-206.

Interesting details about many of the industry people who deal with game used stuff.

I'm loving every page. Has anyone else read it?
Eric

Not yet, but you have me excited to read it now! ;)