PDA

View Full Version : Puckett Turn Ahead the Clock Jersey...is this even possible?

staindsox
06-14-2007, 02:30 PM
I asked this on the related thread, but thought this was worth a thread of its own. Jim Yackel has a Puckett jersey from 2000, but is a size 48. The size is what concerns me. I found a link to a Leland's auction that sold a 1994 Puckett jersey (from the Twins) that was a 50. Anyone knowing Puck also knows he really packed on weight after he retired. I cannot imagine him being capable of getting in to a 48 in 2000, let alone wearing one around and swinging a bat in it. TATC night was only a year before Puck was inducted into the Hall. He must have been wearing a 54 or 56 by then. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Chris

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?lot=635&auctionid=512

http://www.jimyackel.com/34Puckett7-06.JPG

RyanZimmerman11
06-14-2007, 02:36 PM
Maybe it's just me but that just looks like an Authentic jersey (store bought).

Regardless, I agree. There's NO WAY Puck fit into a 48. Impossible.

Jay

sylbry
06-14-2007, 02:59 PM
I posted this in the other thread. Will post it here too.

The Twins participated in two TATC games. One against the Royals and one against Seattle. Can't remember the dates off hand. The Royals game was in KC and the Seattle game was in MN.

In a story run by the Star Tribune after Puckett's death someone close to him said he never stepped on the Metrodome field after he retired from baseball. He only watched games from a suite.

Bryan

staindsox
06-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the posts. Bryan, now that you mention it, I do remember that story too. He would gladhand with the executives in suites. I don't recall Puck ever being on the field. That 48 is a tough sell too.

ironmanfan
06-14-2007, 03:31 PM
My guess is that it's some sort of a "salesman sample."

TNTtoys
06-14-2007, 05:47 PM
On the dates of the 2 Twins TATC games... were any of them in 2000? I thought that this horrible failure of a promotion (which yielded some of the most outrageous jerseys in the history of the game) came to a screeching halt in 1999. I know that there was also a game or two played in 1998. As for 2000, I was not aware that there was one.

Can someone out there verify the dates of these TATC games? I have tried in the past very unsuccessfully (you may even find my original post on this forum if you search hard enough)!!!

RyanZimmerman11
06-14-2007, 05:50 PM
Not to change gears....

Which teams have TATC jerseys? I would love to pick a few up. That is if I ever find any lol

indyred
06-14-2007, 05:53 PM
The first game was 1998 KC vs. Seattle. The rest were in 1999. I'm almost certain it ended that year. I liked how crazy some of them were. He is a ESPN video on them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr8KZwf9_VI

TNTtoys
06-14-2007, 05:59 PM
Not to change gears....

Which teams have TATC jerseys? I would love to pick a few up. That is if I ever find any lol

I have a complete list with photos at home (still at work). I can post that later tonight. There were only a handful of teams that did NOT have a TATC jersey.

I have 2 in my collection - an authentic retail "Mercury" Mets jersey and a game used White Sox jersey. My son (the Angels fan) has both versions of the Angels TATC jersey (there was a blue one and a red one; each worn during their 2 TATC games).

Apart from the Mets one, I do love the Brewers one because it brought back "Barrel Man." I would like to have one of these, even if it were a retail one.

dcrules01
06-14-2007, 06:01 PM
I have seen a Mets gamer of the TATC Jason Isringhausen to be exact.But the owner would not part with it..I have an authentic blank here is a pic.Wasnt that Pucket on Jim Yackels site awhile back??

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e182/dcrules01/mercurymets.jpg

RyanZimmerman11
06-14-2007, 06:21 PM
TNT,

Please post the list and pics when you get home ;) I would love to see them all.

I loved that clip from ESPN....I sorta kinda remember this taking place now.

I wouldn't mind getting the Royals...maybe.

TNTtoys
06-14-2007, 08:04 PM
Here is a link to photos of most of the TATC jerseys... sadly, it's missing a Mercury Mets one (then again DC posted one, so that's now covered).
My favorite is still the Milwaukee beer barrel guy...

http://www.angelfire.com/blues/new_yorker/TATC.html

dcrules01
06-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Jay if you are refering to my Mercury Mets authentic it's not a gamer.I am in the market for a gamer and have seen only one.Russ Gompers of Stitches who does work for the NY Mets has a Jason Isringhausen tatc gamer.I asked if he would be interested in selling and he said no.He has a store in NY about 20 min from Shea.Great guy..So for now I have to settle for a retail authentic..

staindsox
06-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Hey guys, I don't mean to be a thread nazi, but my original post was kind of hijacked and moved on to another topic. It would be cool if you could just start a new thread next time. Thanks.

Chris

Eric
06-14-2007, 08:17 PM
I asked this on the related thread, but thought this was worth a thread of its own. Jim Yackel has a Puckett jersey from 2000, but is a size 48. The size is what concerns me. I found a link to a Leland's auction that sold a 1994 Puckett jersey (from the Twins) that was a 50. Anyone knowing Puck also knows he really packed on weight after he retired. I cannot imagine him being capable of getting in to a 48 in 2000, let alone wearing one around and swinging a bat in it. TATC night was only a year before Puck was inducted into the Hall. He must have been wearing a 54 or 56 by then. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Chris

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?lot=635&auctionid=512

http://www.jimyackel.com/34Puckett7-06.JPG

Did you ask Jim his thoughts? That should be the first place to ask.
Eric

staindsox
06-14-2007, 08:29 PM
Hi Eric, I dropped him an email a bit ago and am just awaiting a response. I'll post it as soon as I hear from him. Thanks.

Chris

staindsox
06-15-2007, 08:08 AM
"Hi Chris,

I had taken the Puckett jersey on consignment from a former Twins marketing staffer who states he had received it from Kirby after the TATC game vs. Seattle. The jersey has long since been returned to the consignor, as there was no interest in it from my clientele. The consignor claimed that Kirby participated in batting practice with the team for that game and wore the jersey. As to whether Kirby could have squeezed into the shirt, I have no reason to doubt the veracity of what the consignor conveyed to me. Did Puckett balloon in size at the end of his life? Yes, he certainly did. Due to the unique nature of the shirt and the fact that Puckett was wearing it after his playing career, I placed my trust in its source--as that is all I had. I am offered big-name MLB jerseys on a frequent basis that I refuse out of hand because I don't get a comfortable feeling from the individuals presenting them to me or their stories--and this is before I would even see the items.

All the best,
Jim"

staindsox
06-15-2007, 08:17 AM
I still can't believe Puck could have fit into a 48 at that stage of his life. I would have bought this awhile back, but I just can't buy the story. From the response, it obviously isn't Jim's story either.

Eastbeast11
11-17-2008, 04:55 PM
can i buy ur mercury mets jersey

duckyboy34
01-27-2009, 08:23 PM
Pictures of the jersey for reference.

I saw this auction end on ebay about a year or two ago...saved the pictures as i do with most Puckett stuff.

It sold for $300 even.