PDA

View Full Version : Jason Giambi Steroids Issue - Am I missing something?

3arod13
06-14-2007, 05:38 AM
Didn't Jason Giambi a while back apologize and we all understood what he was apologizing for? Is it becasue now he said "using that stuff" that now it has a different meaning that what we knew he was apologizing for before?

I don't understand how he can be suspended for even saying "using that stuff." Everyone already knew about Giambi.

Am I the only person not getting this?

RyanZimmerman11
06-14-2007, 07:00 AM
Here's what I feel is the cause for Selig wanting to (and eventually will) suspend Giambi.

Selig recently "asked" Giambi to cooperate with the steroid investigation....in other words, he asked Giambi to be his own personal rat/snitch.

It's my opinion that Giambi refused (my opinion because nothing else was said about this in the media). So now Selig wants to play games and prove how tough he is by suspending Giambi.

It's really a sad time for baseball and Selig is at the very center of all of this.

I can't wait until Bud Selig retires. And can only hope that the next commish. isn't as much of a knucklehead.

Jay

3arod13
06-14-2007, 07:05 AM
Here's what I feel is the cause for Selig wanting to (and eventually will) suspend Giambi.

Selig recently "asked" Giambi to cooperate with the steroid investigation....in other words, he asked Giambi to be his own personal rat/snitch.

It's my opinion that Giambi refused (my opinion because nothing else was said about this in the media). So now Selig wants to play games and prove how tough he is by suspending Giambi.

It's really a sad time for baseball and Selig is at the very center of all of this.

I can't wait until Bud Selig retires. And can only hope that the next commish. isn't as much of a knucklehead.

Jay

Jay, understand and I agree. But I'm still confused on this issue. Giambi already apologized before for what we all know he was referring to. So to me, by him saying "used that stuff" now, isn't anything new.

Amazing how people (MLB) will stand by and watch others be punished for what they themselve knew was going on the entire time and were reaping the benefits (HR race). Truly sad!

whatupyos
06-14-2007, 07:56 AM
ARod----I agree with you. I had thought Giambi had already apologized too...but I think that maybe the apology was in court and so it was supposed to be kept private and was leaked, I forgot how I had heard, but was under the impression that everyone knew that he was sorry. So I do think this whole thing is Selig's way of flexing his tiny and frail old man muscles. What a piece of work this dude is, worst comissioner in the game in my opinion!!!!

Aaron

3arod13
06-14-2007, 08:17 AM
ARod----I agree with you. I had thought Giambi had already apologized too...but I think that maybe the apology was in court and so it was supposed to be kept private and was leaked, I forgot how I had heard, but was under the impression that everyone knew that he was sorry. So I do think this whole thing is Selig's way of flexing his tiny and frail old man muscles. What a piece of work this dude is, worst comissioner in the game in my opinion!!!!

Aaron

Aaron, if I recall, Giambi actually held a press conference and apologized. It remember it being on ESPN. If I'm wrong, someone please let me know.

sylbry
06-14-2007, 08:21 AM
He did apologize but never said for what. Everyone assumed he was apologizing for steriods. Can't bust someone on an assumption. When he said "using that stuff" his apology now becomes an admission of guilt.

It is a small technicality with large legal implications.

3arod13
06-14-2007, 08:29 AM
He did apologize but never said for what. Everyone assumed he was apologizing for steriods. Can't bust someone on an assumption. When he said "using that stuff" his apology now becomes an admission of guilt.

With that said, even now if he said "using that stuff", aren't we again assuming he's talking about steroids?

suave1477
06-14-2007, 09:00 AM

Sybry is a 100% correct.

Because him changing a matter of a couple of different words is in the fine line of implicating yourself.
As stupid as it may seem but its true. Its a matter of being able to use his words in a court of law.

Think of it like this.
If I announce on the board I apologize to everyone (and left it at that)
What are you gonna hold me too? I never said exactly what I am apologizing for.

But now I come out apologizing for "using that stuff"
Gives implication to me taking something I shouldn't have.

Meanwhile he could just be apologizing for using Tide instead of Bounty in his Laundry and he feels we notice that in his uniforms because they are not soft lol lol:D

3arod13
06-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Sybry is a 100% correct.

Think of it like this.
If I announce on the board I apologize to everyone (and left it at that)
What are you gonna hold me too? I never said exactly what I am apologizing for.

But now I come out apologizing for "using that stuff"
Gives implication to me taking something I shouldn't have.

Meanwhile he could just be apologizing for using Tide instead of Bounty in his Laundry and he feels we notice that in his uniforms because they are not soft lol lol:D

Yes, but if you're apologizing to everyone, that still gives implication that you did something wrong.

And what stuff? Giambi can, and should come out and state he was referring to oreo cookies (lol)

whatupyos
06-14-2007, 09:50 AM
ARod---You're right again in my mind. That phrase "stuff" leaves it pretty vague, in my opinion. One can assume what he really meant to say, but its still an assumption. Still, I can care less who used "that stuff"...everyone in baseball could roid and I dont care, I'm so sick of it all, the steroid mumbo jumbo!! It's soooo old already. It's still the greatest game, whether people juice or not.

Aaron

BoneRubbedBat
06-14-2007, 10:35 AM
Lest everyone forget.....Giambi admitted flat out to the Federal Grand Jury that he took human growth hormone in 2003 and Decadurabolin in 2001. His use of steroids is not an assumption, it is a fact as stated by Giambi.

whatupyos
06-14-2007, 10:41 AM
Point taken, and you're right, but what I'm saying is, we all can figure out what Giambi is talking about, but what is that stuff, he doesn't say specifically what stuff!!

Aaron

3arod13
06-14-2007, 10:43 AM
Lest everyone forget.....Giambi admitted flat out to the Federal Grand Jury that he took human growth hormone in 2003 and Decadurabolin in 2001. His use of steroids is not an assumption, it is a fact as stated by Giambi.

See, now my age is showing. My memory isn't what it was. You're right. But with that said, MLB didn't do anything to him then. However, I still think he can come out and say what he meant by stuff was ????? and legally they shouldn't be able to do anything.

I still think it's an assumption.

Jags Fan Dan
06-14-2007, 10:52 AM
Also, correct me if I am wrong, but during the time period Giambi admits to taking his "stuff", said "stuff" was not specifically a banned substance by MLB, correct? By this count, he did not technically break any official MLB rules. Even if he is apologizing for taking roids prior to the rules against it, he shouldn't be in trouble with baseball for it. It will be interesting to see what, specifically, he is suspended for if it happens. I suspect it will not technically be for steroid use, but rather for failing to cooperate with the investigation.

sylbry
06-14-2007, 10:53 AM
ARod---You're right again in my mind. That phrase "stuff" leaves it pretty vague, in my opinion. One can assume what he really meant to say, but its still an assumption.

It may be vague to you and a lot of other people but to a good lawyer it is as clear as day.

cjclong
06-14-2007, 10:54 AM
Legally the statement by Giambi about being sorry he "used the stuff" wouldn't support any kind of criminal prosecution. He had already testified before a grand jury where his testimony was leaked so I'm sure no prosecutor is seeking to bring a case against him unlike what has been happening with Bonds. Exactly what does Selig want Giambi to do as far as "cooperating" with the Mitchell commission? Does he want Giambi to admit his useage which we already pretty well knew about. Or does he expect him to implicate others? If he wanted him to implicate others why didn't Selig try to get him before the commisssion months ago. We don't know anything now we didn't then. And how about the players that heve tested positive recently, why not get them before the commisssion, why single out Gimabi? And we know some pitchers were using steroids too so we are simply going to have live with what happend as you can't go back and investigate or change what happend with every pitch and every at bat in relation to steroids just as you can't go back and investigate who might have hit a homerun with a corked bat or gotten somebody out with a spitter or grease ball. The best suggestion I know of is to grant amnesty to those that admit it and move on. Even with all the problems baseball is still a great game.

sylbry
06-14-2007, 10:57 AM
Also, correct me if I am wrong, but during the time period Giambi admits to taking his "stuff", said "stuff" was not specifically a banned substance by MLB, correct? By this count, he did not technically break any official MLB rules. Even if he is apologizing for taking roids prior to the rules against it, he shouldn't be in trouble with baseball for it. It will be interesting to see what, specifically, he is suspended for if it happens. I suspect it will not technically be for steroid use, but rather for failing to cooperate with the investigation.

It was against the rules per Fay Vincent's 1991 memo. Just not punishable. And let's not forget it was against US law to take illegal substances. You can guarantee that if I took an illegal substance and my work found out, there would be ramifications of some sort. Far too long have professional athletes been given a free pass on anything drug related.

3arod13
06-14-2007, 11:14 AM
It will be interesting to see what, specifically, he is suspended for if it happens. I suspect it will not technically be for steroid use, but rather for failing to cooperate with the investigation.

How can that be? No other players are being held accoutable for failing to cooperate with the investigation, correct?

Carlevv
06-14-2007, 12:26 PM
Ok, guys ill tell you what is happening here. Giambi who already testified to the grand jury admitted he did steroids right? Ok, he cant be asked about the balco admission because of a certain law. Not sure what it is actually called but since it was leaked he never has to comment on it again. Hence the reason he, Bonds or any of the balco grand jury guys didnt have to go talk to congress like Sosa, McGwire, Palmeiro and others. Bud knows for a fact that Giambi did steroids because he confessed but now wants him to confess to the Mitchell investigation "or else". This is black male 101. Threaten to suspend Giambi 50 games and dock pay for those 50 games and thats millions. Selig cant get any players to talk to Mitchell because he doesnt have subpeona power. He wants Jason to talk to make the 80 million dollar investigation have some credibility which at this point really has nothing but a former clubhouse attendent singing like a bird on who he sold drugs to. Selig is trying to save face and in the end it will hurt his credibility on this tired investigation that has no legs. Note to Bud Selig, who is the most corrupt guy on the planet..... Quit while you can. By the way, he's the biggest crook in the game. He owns the Brewers but because he's commisioner his daughter is in charge? Im sure he has nothing to do with the day to day operation right? Go after meth, heoroin, cocaine and ecxtasy dealers. Wait, nobody knows thier names so it doesnt matter. Go after baseball players, that will help this country prosper. Sorry for the rant guys.

RyanZimmerman11
06-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Ok, guys ill tell you what is happening here. Giambi who already testified to the grand jury admitted he did steroids right? Ok, he cant be asked about the balco admission because of a certain law. Not sure what it is actually called but since it was leaked he never has to comment on it again. Hence the reason he, Bonds or any of the balco grand jury guys didnt have to go talk to congress like Sosa, McGwire, Palmeiro and others. Bud knows for a fact that Giambi did steroids because he confessed but now wants him to confess to the Mitchell investigation "or else". This is black male 101. Threaten to suspend Giambi 50 games and dock pay for those 50 games and thats millions. Selig cant get any players to talk to Mitchell because he doesnt have subpeona power. He wants Jason to talk to make the 80 million dollar investigation have some credibility which at this point really has nothing but a former clubhouse attendent singing like a bird on who he sold drugs to. Selig is trying to save face and in the end it will hurt his credibility on this tired investigation that has no legs. Note to Bud Selig, who is the most corrupt guy on the planet..... Quit while you can. By the way, he's the biggest crook in the game. He owns the Brewers but because he's commisioner his daughter is in charge? Im sure he has nothing to do with the day to day operation right? Go after meth, heoroin, cocaine and ecxtasy dealers. Wait, nobody knows thier names so it doesnt matter. Go after baseball players, that will help this country prosper. Sorry for the rant guys.

Exactly what I was saying...just more detailed ;) Thanks!

I couldn't agree more with everything that was said.

cjclong
06-14-2007, 02:35 PM
When Giambi went before the grand jury I'm sure he was given either testimonial or transactional immunity. If he was given testimonial immunity he could still be prosecuted if there was evidence against him but his own testimony in the grand jury could never be used against him. In this case he would still have a first amendment right not to testify and stay silent. If he were given transactional immunity he could be made to testify because there was an agreement never to prosecute him on this issue. My guess is he got testimonial immunity and still has a first amendment right not to testify. If he has this I'm not sure how Selig forces him before the committee if he doesn't want to testify and they have no subpoena power anyway. (I'm sure this is really fascinating, but it is the technical legal issues)

2000mvpfan
06-15-2007, 01:11 AM
....all I'm even gonna say on this topic is that I love how Selig's clamping Giambi's nuts in a vise right now,while at the same time ESPN & the rest of the media are on the "x amount of HR's till Bonds passes Aaron" countdown,which I'm sure MLB supports as it's so great for revenue.Hypocrites...what,no proof that Barry also did "that stuff"?Hey Bud,go get yourself a baseball card of Bonds circa 1992 and one from this year..then look at the pictures on the front..then do the math..then,remove your head from your a$$.

I think I'm done now.
Joe