PDA

View Full Version : Game Used Memorabilia - What's in the future?

3arod13
06-14-2007, 04:53 AM
I believe that in today's hobby, there is just way too much game used memorabilia. You now see even more and more game used minor league uniforms, bats, cleats, etc. Stuff today isn't that difficult to find.

How can this stuff holds its value or increase in value in the future?

Yankwood
06-14-2007, 07:28 AM
This is very similar to what happened to cards a couple decades ago. It will also give the same results. Old stuff continues to hold or increase it's value and the new stuff doesn't.

jake33
06-14-2007, 07:45 AM
I would assume, that dateline, 60 minutes or one of those shows will do a "report" on the dishonesty of the industry (within the next 5 years) because negative attention is more fun to report,

A similar thing happen with baseball cards 18 years ago, except the stories were about people finding $200 rookie cards at rumage sales, so everyone and their mother with a box of baseball cards thought they had a gold mine.

there will only be MORE AND more game used stuff out there, think about it, EVERY single season there has to be 1000's of new game used items for EVERY single major sport, now players and agents are beginning to know that the memorabilia has legit value to it, so why not make a cheap extra buck?

I am shocked that more sports agents don't have websites for their clients that will allow fans to buy game used items from ANY specific game that a buyer desires (cleats, pants, jerseys, hats, bats, gloves helmets, etc...). Very little effort for a decent reward...

this industry will be more cluttered, and have more dishonesty, there is NO doubt in my mind.

suave1477
06-14-2007, 08:45 AM
This is very similar to what happened to cards a couple decades ago. It will also give the same results. Old stuff continues to hold or increase it's value and the new stuff doesn't.

I agree a 100% with Yankwood and this is exactly what is going to happn.

But I think even a bigger picture is being missed here.

Unlike baseball cards. Because of an abundance of blanks and issueds let out into the Market each year will be easily one day turned into Game Worns or Useds. Lets not forget how close the retail authentic Jerseys com close to the real thing. There is almost no difference between the 2.

Even though baseball cards were over produced all that did was just harm the value.
But by producing tons of Game Issued Jerseys and Blanks into the market makes it very easy for someone to roll around in the dirt give it a few washes and walla you went from a Game Issued blank Yankees Jersey that was purchased yesterday to 5 years from now a Game Used Derek Jeter or AROD.
There is nothing done by the manufacturers or teams to do something significant to sepereate really what a Game Issued Jersey, Game Issued Blank, or a Retail Authentic.
Sure you can say well the wash code tagging is different, but as we all know you cant rely on wash code tags because we have to come to find out even some retail Jerseys have been Game Used.

3arod13
06-14-2007, 08:51 AM
I would assume, that dateline, 60 minutes or one of those shows will do a "report" on the dishonesty of the industry (within the next 5 years) because negative attention is more fun to report,

A similar thing happen with baseball cards 18 years ago, except the stories were about people finding $200 rookie cards at rumage sales, so everyone and their mother with a box of baseball cards thought they had a gold mine.

there will only be MORE AND more game used stuff out there, think about it, EVERY single season there has to be 1000's of new game used items for EVERY single major sport, now players and agents are beginning to know that the memorabilia has legit value to it, so why not make a cheap extra buck?

I am shocked that more sports agents don't have websites for their clients that will allow fans to buy game used items from ANY specific game that a buyer desires (cleats, pants, jerseys, hats, bats, gloves helmets, etc...). Very little effort for a decent reward...

this industry will be more cluttered, and have more dishonesty, there is NO doubt in my mind.

Jake, well said!

3arod13
06-14-2007, 09:25 AM
Do you think with all this negativity in the game used area, it will ever come to where somone will actually think about taking a picture of the player using the item in the game, sign it, and sell so you have solid proof and photomatch?

Don't see how that could work during a game, but it sure would be nice.

indyred
06-14-2007, 10:08 AM
I think the hobby is getting much stronger and growing. I've only been in it a couple years though. With companies like Meigray, Steiner, MLB authenticated ect. Will bring in more collector's, because they know what they are getting is going to be the real deal. I remember joining this site and the members were like 800, and year later it's already twice that. I still think a lot people don't realize you can buy game used jerseys, bats, ect for cheap prices. This is why the game used card market exploded. Now that is bursting and card collector's realize you can buy the entire jersey cheaper than a 1 inch piece of it, only helps this side of things. A couple years ago I had no idea you could buy this stuff. I always though it would be thousands of dollars for a jersey. I had no idea you could buy a game used common jersey for under a hundred bucks sometimes, or bats for under $30 of common type player's. Also, with more stuff that is legit coming into the hobby, prices will stay and maybe get lower. Will also help bring in more collector's in. I still think stuff from star player's/HOF will always be in demand. Arod has a ton of stuff out there, I still see his stuff rising in value.

jake33
06-14-2007, 12:10 PM
I would like to see VIDEO COA's a dvd of the player handing over the jersey to a collector or a video of autograph signings and have the dvd/video as the COA would be neat to see...

THe problem with having MEigrey and steiner is that SO many uneducated buyers will only buy items from them and fail to do their homework and they'll walk away from legit items, just because of presception

3arod13
06-14-2007, 12:17 PM
I would like to see VIDEO COA's a dvd of the player handing over the jersey to a collector or a video of autograph signings and have the dvd/video as the COA would be neat to see...

Jake, what a great idea! That wouldn't be difficult to do. Great idea!

jake33
06-14-2007, 02:54 PM
I have said that for years that their should be VIDEO coa's you can get a dvd recorder for like $110 and blank dvd's are like 25 cents a piece, well worth the investment if anyone would take extra time to do this. I have long wnated to get into this hobby as a business, but there are so many people that I already ahte dealing with as it is, to make this HOBBY stressful...