PDA

View Full Version : Game-Used Bats: Cracked or Uncracked ?

hiramman
06-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Was just wondering about opinions on collecting cracked bats versus uncracked bats? Seems that uncracked bats would be much easier to fake or alter to make them look like authentic game-used bats. Seems like it would be time-consuming to try to hit balls until you cracked a bat to simulate a game-used cracked bat. Any opinions?

Also, as superstitious as players sometimes seem to be, wouldn't you think they would be wanting to keep bats they are successful using? Meaning fewer legitimate game-used uncracked bats would be getting into collectors hands? Then again, if they're not doing well, I guess they'd be going on to another bat.

Would like to hear everyone's opinions.

Yankwood
06-13-2007, 12:03 PM
You have listed several reasons why I prefer cracked bats. I only have a few that are not and those I only have because I know for a fact that they were used.

indyred
06-13-2007, 12:18 PM
I prefer uncracked, as long as it shows some nice use. But I don't mind cracked either, as long as it is not missing chunks or the crack effects the name/label area. That would bug me. I think it's not real hard if someone wanted to crack a bat. If someone was hell bent on faking a bat and putting nice ball seem marks on it, would be just as easy to crack it doing that as well.
The one nice thing I like about most bat companies. You can't just go and order a player's named bat and retail models are all real easy to tell for mass produced star bats. I know Louisville Slugger only sells retail bats of Arod, Manny, Thome, Griffey, Jeter. At the factory. All have the lines under the 125 and # stamped in the handle. The Manny is the only M9 type and has a 7 stamped in the bottom of the handle. Not sure how other companies do it, but it is nice they clearly mark retail bats.

89ASMVPBats
06-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Hiramman,

While I do not prefer one over the other, I definitely have more uncracked bats in my collection than cracked. I agree that it would be time consuming to doctor a cracked bat. However, doctoring an uncracked bat to show hit and seem marks would also require a considerable investment of time, energy, and resources. In short, I do not think that a cracked bat is presumptively more authentic simply because of the presence of a crack.

I do think that the relationship between the condition of the bat and its legitimacy is often dependent on the player. Miguel Tejada, for example, has used at least four different bat brands this season alone and will often appear at the plate with a different manufacturer's bat in consecutive at bats without any indication that the previous bat had been cracked. (His struggles at the plate this season may explain the number of different bats). As a result, there are a number of uncracked game used Tejada bats on the market, many of which show good game use characteristics.

In the end, I think that cracked versus uncracked is a matter of personal preference.

Drew
eighty9asmvpbats@yahoo.com

jake33
06-13-2007, 01:51 PM
depends on the player and price. I actually paid for a cracked bat because it was used at a game that I was at that Jorge Cantu hit a homerun in...

I need to make sure the bat will hang well on a bat rack, which is my main concern. But if I can save $50 or more, a cracked bat is fine with me. As long as it is game used is my main concern as well. Not a huge deal but in a perfect world, all things being equal, uncracked would be great.

33bird
06-13-2007, 02:19 PM
This thread has been discussed numerous times. It ultimately comes down to what the collector prefers. I prefer uncracked myself. I think uncracked bats with use sell for more. Some collectors won't even buy cracked bats. I don't mind small cracks that lie flat, but big, nasty cracks are an eyesore to me. I guess it would be similar to buying a game use jersey with a big tear or rip in it. Just my 2 cents.
G. Todd

RyanZimmerman11
06-13-2007, 02:23 PM
This thread has been discussed numerous times. It ultimately comes down to what the collector prefers. I prefer uncracked myself. I think uncracked bats with use sell for more. Some collectors won't even buy cracked bats. I don't mind small cracks that lie flat, but big, nasty cracks are an eyesore to me. I guess it would be similar to buying a game use jersey with a big tear or rip in it. Just my 2 cents.
G. Todd

Couldn't have said it any better ;)

hiramman
06-13-2007, 02:38 PM
It just seems to me that I sure see alot of uncracked bats that show minimal or no use, but are stated to be game-used. I'm not sure how long it would take to put 3 or 4 ball marks on a bat, slap light pine tar on the handle and call it game-used. Doesn't seem like it would take more than 20-30 minutes to me, but I've never tried. Seems to me a small amount of time to turn that Griffey Jr, Bonds, or Zimmerman from an unused bat into a gamer.

Doing the same thing and getting the bat to crack without tearing it up seems a little tougher.

Just wondering, have both cracked and uncracked in my own collection, but was just thinking about all of the bats that I see that look almost new except for a couple ball marks on them. They're autographed (which isn't too tough to get done) and then sold as game-used. Just a hair of a bit of price difference between an autographed game-issued bat and an autographed game-used bat of some of the bigger stars.

RyanZimmerman11
06-13-2007, 02:43 PM
It just seems to me that I sure see alot of uncracked bats that show minimal or no use, but are stated to be game-used. I'm not sure how long it would take to put 3 or 4 ball marks on a bat, slap light pine tar on the handle and call it game-used. Doesn't seem like it would take more than 20-30 minutes to me, but I've never tried. Seems to me a small amount of time to turn that Griffey Jr, Bonds, or Zimmerman from an unused bat into a gamer.

Doing the same thing and getting the bat to crack without tearing it up seems a little tougher.

Just wondering, have both cracked and uncracked in my own collection, but was just thinking about all of the bats that I see that look almost new except for a couple ball marks on them. They're autographed (which isn't too tough to get done) and then sold as game-used. Just a hair of a bit of price difference between an autographed game-issued bat and an autographed game-used bat of some of the bigger stars.

I absolutely understand what you're saying.

As a new guy in the whole Game Used area of collecting, I am VERY..and I mean VERY...skeptical about whom I buy from. I worry about the same thing you are saying.

So far, when looking for an uncracked bat, I've learned that there are only a handful of sellers/sites that I would buy from and feel completely safe that I am truly getting a game used bat.

I've yet to make a purchase, but I am 85% sure that my first game used purchase will come from LRM. It helps that they have an exclusive deal with Ryam Zimmerman lol ;) Makes it easier for me.

Jay

33bird
06-13-2007, 02:52 PM
Speaking of Zimmerman-Is he ever going to wake up and play some serious ball this year? I had to waive him from my fantasy team because he was playing so bad. Can you guarantee me a wake up call for Zim?
G.Todd

RyanZimmerman11
06-13-2007, 03:02 PM
Speaking of Zimmerman-Is he ever going to wake up and play some serious ball this year? I had to waive him from my fantasy team because he was playing so bad. Can you guarantee me a wake up call for Zim?
G.Todd

I wish I could ;)

He's stating to come around. Been hitting decently as of late. Unfortunately, he has nobody around him in that lineup. I don't even count Dmitri Young as a ballplayer. :rolleyes:

jon_8_us
06-13-2007, 03:27 PM
As it goes with maple bats it is very difficult to fake use as the wood is so hard.You need a major league pitcher to being throwing to a major league hitter to get real nice seam indentations.With ash bats i suppose it's a bit easier but like someone posted before you can't just order a players model yourself...
jon

staindsox
06-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Jon, I wouldn't put too much faith in maple bat indentations. Regular guys are very capable of it too. I bought some prostock M9s (which isn't quite MLB lumber, but is used in the minors) and after a few BP sessions, it looked like Jimmie Foxx took cuts with them...and I'm not a prolific hitter either. I could splash on pine tar and make it look exactly like a gamer. You have to trust the seller. Even if you know what you are doing and what to look for, i.e. use characteristics, he might know what he is doing too. Once you find an honest dealer, stick with him.

Chris

camarokids
06-13-2007, 04:26 PM
As it goes with maple bats it is very difficult to fake use as the wood is so hard.You need a major league pitcher to being throwing to a major league hitter to get real nice seam indentations.With ash bats i suppose it's a bit easier but like someone posted before you can't just order a players model yourself...
jon

You took the words right out of my fingertips ..... Seam impressions & ball marks are/would be the hardest to fake because you need someone who can throw the ball fast . What ? starting around 85-90 MPH is pro pitching ? Or buy a pitching machine , but .....

Then you need someone who can hit it ......

As for the original question ..cracked or un-cracked .. it does not matter as long it is game used by the player in question and writings on the ends are correct (uniform number , ect) .

I don't like cracks (as said earlier) that affect the stampings on the barrell or pieces missing .

But I did buy the Baldelli X-Bat that has a small 5-6 inch piece missing . It came with a LOA from the Detroit Tigers and MLB authenication and local pick up (no shipping costs) . Plus the piece missing is on the back side of the bat when displayed . So , I figured what the hell .

I like LRM cause they send a picture of the player holding the item you bought !

See ya !
David

RyanZimmerman11
06-13-2007, 04:27 PM
While we're on the subject of honesty and honest dealers...

What is the general consensus of Locker Room Memorabilia? As far as trusting them, their prices..etc

Just a new guy looking for some help...

jon_8_us
06-13-2007, 04:29 PM
Jon, I wouldn't put too much faith in maple bat indentations. Regular guys are very capable of it too. I bought some prostock M9s (which isn't quite MLB lumber, but is used in the minors) and after a few BP sessions, it looked like Jimmie Foxx took cuts with them...and I'm not a prolific hitter either. I could splash on pine tar and make it look exactly like a gamer. You have to trust the seller. Even if you know what you are doing and what to look for, i.e. use characteristics, he might know what he is doing too. Once you find an honest dealer, stick with him.

Chris

Thats interesting to know as i was always in the understanding that us joe schmo's couldn't replicate that kind of use...
jon

geoff
06-14-2007, 09:17 PM
LRM is reputable and I have dealt with them a few different times but a little pricey.You pay for what you get with them and I would not even think of not buying from them again if I see something I want from them.Good Luck and by the way I am a huge Ryan Zimmerman fan and think he will be an elite talent in a few years.

Geoff