PDA

View Full Version : Game Used Bats Question

PeteRose14
06-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Can someone please, in detail, describe to me the difference between a bat that is "cracked" and one that is "splintered".

I am looking into buying a game used bat, the seller has several but all his descriptions have them as "splintered".

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks

MSpecht
06-11-2007, 05:28 PM
Good Question----

I think you'll have a hard time coming up with a consensus, but here's a shot...

When I use the term "cracked," there is generally a qualifier, usually "displaced wood," meaning that the wood no longer lies flat into the geometry of the bat, or "non-displaced wood," meaning that the crack may be hairline, or possibly more significant, but the wood is still within the geometry of the bat. In general, I would suggest that with a "cracked" bat, even displaced wood could be returned to the bat's original geometry. With a splintered bat, the displacement (or even wood loss) is so severe that the bat cannot be made whole without professional restoration.

This is really just off the cuff, and other coollector's opinions may differ. In the end, with the bat being described as "splintered," you will certainly want to see several photos of it before committing to purchase it.

Good Luck

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

PeteRose14
06-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Thank you for your response. It was very insightful and helpful.

Yankwood
06-12-2007, 11:03 AM
I have also run into some who call "dead wood" splintering. Such as describing the barrel as splintered. It's best to just ask the person for a better description.