PDA

View Full Version : Mastro 1988 Rose jersey

EricDavis44fan
06-09-2007, 07:58 PM
I was just looking through the Mastro auction and noticed the 1988 Pete Rose game worn managers jersey. The jersey is graded by Mears. The only problem is, in 1988 the Reds hosted the All-Star game and the jersys had the all-star patches on the left sleeve. I am by no means an expert, but I thought I would pass along this info in case anyone here was interested in bidding on it.

http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=72552&LastLotListing=Lot%20Search%20List&CurrentRow=21

Dave

JimCaravello
06-10-2007, 08:36 AM
Here is a pic of Rose in a road uniform in 1988 and you can see the patch you are referring to. Maybe the patch was removed? If so - the jersey should not be graded an A10.............

bat_master
06-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Since I'm also a MEARS member I went to double-check the listing with the MEARS listing on their site. Keep in mind that I have not seen the actual worksheet, but the listing on their website for cert #305291 which is this 1988 Pete Rose jersey says that the jersey received an A5 grade.

I don't know which is correct since I haven't actually seen the worksheet. However, it would seem entirely possible that one of the two is incorrect.

Also, I've seen several instances where the grade listed in an auction catalog did not match the grade recieved. Most of those instances were for game used bats as that is what I was tracking for my database, but you get the idea. Mistakes can be made.

JimCaravello
06-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Good post Tim - I have seen that on several occasions where the auction listing is completely wrong.........this stuff is not that difficult - I don't understand why so many mistakes like this are made.........

CollectGU
06-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Hi,

If it received an A5, it is the highest possible grade without provenance for a post 87' jersey through MEARS. Si

CollectGU
06-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Sorry my last post got cut off...So, the grade of A5 had nothing to do with missing the patch. If it was missing the patch , it should have received an A4 or under....Also, the cert makes no mention of a patch removal...

Regards,

Dave