PDA

View Full Version : Game-used bat "food chain"

Birdbats
06-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Just received a question from another collector about the relative value of a star's bat used by another player. It got me thinking about the different variables and where they'd fall on a value continuum. I'll throw out my thoughts (using Pujols as the star) and hope you'll all chime in with yours. Assume provenance backs up the use.
Pujols bat used by Pujols (only #5 on knob)
Pujols bat possibly used by both Pujols and another star player -- say Adam Dunn (both #5 and #44 on the knob)
Another star player's bat (Dunn) used by Pujols (only #5 on knob)
Pujols bat used by another star (say Dunn -- only #44 on knob)
Another star player's bat (Dunn) possibly used by both that player and Pujols (both #5 and #44 on knob).
A non-star player's bat used by Pujols (only #5 on knob)
A Pujols bat used by a non-star
A non-star player's bat possibly used by both that player and Pujols (both numbers on the knob).Would you pay more for a Dunn bat used by Pujols only, or for a Pujols bat used by Ronnie Belliard only? Do you value the name on the barrel more than who used it, or vice versa? Would be interested in everyone's thoughts.

DonFan23
06-08-2007, 04:21 PM
Just received a question from another collector about the relative value of a star's bat used by another player. It got me thinking about the different variables and where they'd fall on a value continuum. I'll throw out my thoughts (using Pujols as the star) and hope you'll all chime in with yours. Assume provenance backs up the use.

Pujols bat used by Pujols (only #5 on knob)
Pujols bat possibly used by both Pujols and another star player -- say Adam Dunn (both #5 and #44 on the knob)
Another star player's bat (Dunn) used by Pujols (only #5 on knob)
Pujols bat used by another star (say Dunn -- only #44 on knob)
Another star player's bat (Dunn) possibly used by both that player and Pujols (both #5 and #44 on knob).
A non-star player's bat used by Pujols (only #5 on knob)
A Pujols bat used by a non-star
A non-star player's bat possibly used by both that player and Pujols (both numbers on the knob).Would you pay more for a Dunn bat used by Pujols only, or for a Pujols bat used by Ronnie Belliard only? Do you value the name on the barrel more than who used it, or vice versa? Would be interested in everyone's thoughts.

Jeff,

Great idea for a post. Looks like you've thought of just about every possible scenario on this one.

One consideration for the buyer would be the degree of use and the use characteristics compared to the players' typical patterns of use. Another may be the connection between the players (e.g., some may be interested in 2 players from their favorite team, while others may be more intrigued by use of the bat by players from 2 different teams). A lefty-righty pairing would be interesting as the bat could potentially be hammered on both sides.

All that aside, here's my take on your set of variables, assuming I was the Pujols collector (Note to all that I'm using Jeff's numbering intentionally - no wisecracks, please):

1 - Pujols bat used by Pujols
3 - Another star player's bat used by Pujols only
6 - A non-star player's bat used by Pujols only
2 - Pujols bat used by Pujols and another star player
5 - Another star player's bat used by both that star and Pujols
8 - Non-star player's bat used by said non-star and Pujols
4 - Pujols bat used by another star only
7 - Pujols bat used by non-star only

Interested to see what everyone else's lineup would look like.

R.J.

cjclong
06-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Obviously everyone will have a different take on this. If a star player I really liked had used another players bat to get a big hit I would be interested. For example Mickey Mantle used an obscure Yankee players bat to hit the famous 565 foot tape measure homerun against the Senators (the bat is in the Hall of Fame) and Mantle borrowed a Bob Cerv bat to hit the two homeruns in the game against Detriot after he hurt his arm that was shown in the TV movie "61." But unless it was a player I really liked getting a big hit with the bat of someone else I would not be interested in the bat of one player used by another.

sportscentury
06-08-2007, 05:36 PM
Jeff,

Great post. I agree with your general hierarchy. Your post reminded me of the bat you had for sale that was another player's bat but was used by Pujols. You had photomatched it to Pujols in action at the plate and there was Pujols' # on the knob. As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather have a bat like this (a non-star's bat that is photomatched to to being used by a star, such as Pujols) than a non-photomatched star bat with the star's # on the knob and good game use. In this way, photomatching can throw a twist into the the ordering.

Reid

Birdbats
06-08-2007, 09:42 PM
Your post reminded me of the bat you had for sale that was another player's bat but was used by Pujols. You had photomatched it to Pujols in action at the plate and there was Pujols' # on the knob.

Reid, that was a Tino Martinez bat used by Pujols... a very fortunate photo match. I've since learned the Pujols LS M9 model bat purchased by the other collector (referenced in my original post) was used by Kelly Stinnett -- still had Albert's #5 in the cup, but Stinnett turned the #5 on the knob into #35. The Pujols model used by Stinnett might look better on the wall, but the collector in me would rather have the Tino used by Albert -- photo or not.

sportscentury
06-08-2007, 10:00 PM
Reid, that was a Tino Martinez bat used by Pujols... a very fortunate photo match. I've since learned the Pujols LS M9 model bat purchased by the other collector (referenced in my original post) was used by Kelly Stinnett -- still had Albert's #5 in the cup, but Stinnett turned the #5 on the knob into #35. The Pujols model used by Stinnett might look better on the wall, but the collector in me would rather have the Tino used by Albert -- photo or not.

Yes, I agree with you. But, add the photomatch to the Tino bat, and I'd rather have the Tino (or whomever) than a game used Pujols bat with 5 on the knob that is not photomatched. That was the point I was making.
Reid