PDA

View Full Version : Authentication - Is It Really Worth It?

3arod13
06-07-2007, 11:22 AM
This doesn't shock me, but I know it goes on with most all authentication services. The more money you spend, the better the grades. The more money you spend, the better chance your item gets authenticated.

http://www.thebrillreport.net/2007/06/gai_draws_fire_.html

I had a 1986 Michael Jordan autographed rookie card (signed in 1987) that I sent to PSA for grading. It came back a PSA 8. There was no question it would come back PSA 9. I sold the card. Within 1 week (yes, 1 week) the card was back on ebay graded PSA 9. Oh, I forget, the buyer lives in California and does a tremendous amount of business with PSA.

When authentication first started, it was good for the hobby. However, when everyone realized how much money could be made, the game changed.

3arod13
06-07-2007, 11:33 AM
There was no question it WOULDN'T come back PSA 9.

89ASMVPBats
06-07-2007, 12:10 PM
I'm a little confused. Did you originally submit the card to PSA for grading of the card itself and the purchaser of your card resubmitted it for authentication of the signature and then the card received a higher grade?

Without an authenticated signature the card grader, different division from the autograph folks from what I understand, may have considered the sharpie as detracting from the "eye appeal" of the card, thus awarding it a grade of "8." Once the signature was authenticated as being Jordan's the "eye appeal" may have been increased, leading to the "9" grade.

Grading is extremely subjective and what one person at a company considers an "8" someone else may consider a "9." (After all, we cannot say for sure that the same person graded the card both times). While I do not envy you your situation, I think there are a couple of considerations that must be made before concluding that

The more money you spend, the better chance your item gets authenticated.

Afterall, your item was authenticated, which isn't always the case with Jordan rookie cards, it just didn't receive the grade you believed that it deserved. Overall, I still think that authentication is good for the hobby. As with anything in life, however, proceed with caution.

Drew
eighty9asmvpbats@yahoo.com

3arod13
06-07-2007, 01:22 PM
I'm a little confused. Did you originally submit the card to PSA for grading of the card itself and the purchaser of your card resubmitted it for authentication of the signature and then the card received a higher grade?

Without an authenticated signature the card grader, different division from the autograph folks from what I understand, may have considered the sharpie as detracting from the "eye appeal" of the card, thus awarding it a grade of "8." Once the signature was authenticated as being Jordan's the "eye appeal" may have been increased, leading to the "9" grade.

Grading is extremely subjective and what one person at a company considers an "8" someone else may consider a "9." (After all, we cannot say for sure that the same person graded the card both times). While I do not envy you your situation, I think there are a couple of considerations that must be made before concluding that

Afterall, your item was authenticated, which isn't always the case with Jordan rookie cards, it just didn't receive the grade you believed that it deserved. Overall, I still think that authentication is good for the hobby. As with anything in life, however, proceed with caution.

Drew
eighty9asmvpbats@yahoo.com

I submitted the card for one submission. To PSA/DNA for signature authenticated (signature not graded) and then it went to PSACARD for grading of the card. The card was graded PSA 8 when I received it back. I then sold it and the buyer had the card regraded (supposedly) in just one week and posted it on ebay. When I confronted the person who bought it from me, he irrogantly emailed me back stating, "I spend thousands of dollars with PSA and it's nice to know people in high places.
Exact words.

There is no question the card isn't a 9. Just to the obvious eye, the entire left side of the card has shavings from when the card was original cut (no smooth edge at all). In addition, two of the corners alone (white) wouldn't have made it a 9.

I've been collecting for 35 years and as we all know, it's not hard to grade a card with the naked eye, especially obvious flaws.

I agree that grading and authentication process is good for the hobby. But that's if the graders and authenticators are honest and do the job correctly. This forum alone shows us just how dishonest graders and authenticators are.

The buyer of the Jordan card got an upgraded on the grade solely based on the amount of business he did with PSA and the amount of money he spends. There are many people out there that get to know authenticators well.

So, if you believe Paris Hilton got out of jail after only 3 days because of good behavior, and not because of who she is and how much money is involved, then I guess I don't get it.

3arod13
06-07-2007, 01:27 PM
Holders will always reflect either the grade of the card or the card of the signature. The jordan card, labbeled as is, is the grade for the card only.

richpick
06-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Hey 3arod13,
Correct me if I am wrong but don't you collect Juan Gonzalez? I have a game used Texas Rangers helmet of his are you interested? email me at richard777pickard@yahoo.com if you are interested.

Thanks

3arod13
06-08-2007, 04:51 AM
This doesn't shock me, but I know it goes on with most all authentication services. The more money you spend, the better the grades. The more money you spend, the better chance your item gets authenticated.

http://www.thebrillreport.net/2007/06/gai_draws_fire_.html

I had a 1986 Michael Jordan autographed rookie card (signed in 1987) that I sent to PSA for grading. It came back a PSA 8. There was no question it would come back PSA 9. I sold the card. Within 1 week (yes, 1 week) the card was back on ebay graded PSA 9. Oh, I forget, the buyer lives in California and does a tremendous amount of business with PSA.

When authentication first started, it was good for the hobby. However, when everyone realized how much money could be made, the game changed.

Here's a pic of the Jordan card when it was graded PSA 8.

3arod13
06-08-2007, 04:52 AM
Here's a pic of the Jordan card when it was graded PSA 8.

Sorry, here's the pic

3arod13
06-08-2007, 04:55 AM
Sorry, here's the pic

Look at the left and right side (edges) of the card. You can easily see that the card wasn't cut smoothly and there is fraying of the cardboard.

89ASMVPBats
06-08-2007, 01:10 PM
How long ago did you sell the PSA 8 on eBay? Do you remember the date by chance?