PDA

View Full Version : Where Do You Draw The Line In What You Will Collect (underwear)?

3arod13
06-07-2007, 04:04 AM
Where do you draw the line in what you will collect and add to your collection? I've seen many odd things that people sell. As we all recall, the Mark McGwire signed Jock Strap. For me, that's nasty! Oddball, hard to find items are nice, but I draw the line with underwear and things like that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALEX-RODRIGUEZ-SIGNED-AUTHENTIC-GAME-WORN-SPANDEX-SHRT_W0QQitemZ110136200363QQihZ001QQcategoryZ64488 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Swoboda4
06-07-2007, 05:10 AM
3arod13,you're right to draw the line at things like this. Apparently Arod doesn't and his LOA is sad commentary all by itself. If a newspaper article got hold of the LOA and with what's going on in Arods life now you would see how fast he would separate himself from ELITE:"AROD SHILLING UNDERWEAR" would be the headline in the NY Post. As a casual fan how do you display it wihout embarassment? As a collector how do you explain why you bought a personal item signed at the crouch area? If you're a female fan I guess you can consider it otherwise it has overtones of homosexuality. I guess the barometer for what we,collectors should strive to obtain is,would the HOF display such an item? If the answer is yes then go ahead.

Jags Fan Dan
06-07-2007, 06:44 AM
If I can't display it in good taste (of course, what's tasteful to one person may disgust the next) I have no interest in it. I remember a long time ago seeing a Corey Dillon jock strap that was supposedly gathered from the Huskies locker room when he was in college. My thought at the time and still is "Who in their right mind would want that?"

beavisrules
06-07-2007, 08:48 AM
someone needs to get Kyle on this thread with his "game used" shower shoe. . .

Swoboda4
06-07-2007, 09:03 AM
If we ask Kyle he'll charge us for his opinion:
See past thread:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=8869

3arod13
06-07-2007, 09:25 AM
someone needs to get Kyle on this thread with his "game used" shower shoe. . .

I remember Kyle posting about the shower shoes. Game used? Now that's funny.

Would be interested in hearing from Kyle what was it specifically that caught his interest in those shower shoes.

suave1477
06-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Kyle is the King of oddball Game Used items.....

We should hear from our KING OOGUI (Pronounced - OOO - GOO - E)

King speak to us your followers need you lol lol:D

I myself have picked up an oddball game used item in tribute to Kyle.
It was a Carlos Beltran 2006 All Star Game - Game Used Belt.:rolleyes:

kylehess10
06-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Swoboda - I didn't charge for an opinion. staindsox gave me the idea to start charging to photomatches since they seem pretty easy to come by for me and I had found a couple photomatches for the Shane Spencer jersey that dcrules had so I had told him about my "photomatch service".

3arod13 - I remember seeing a pair of Johnny Damon shower shoes about a year ago on eBay sell for like $120 so I thought that getting something as hard to find as shower sandles, and for the price of $12, it seemed pretty good to me. It's actually pretty neat:

3arod13
06-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Swoboda - I didn't charge for an opinion. staindsox gave me the idea to start charging to photomatches since they seem pretty easy to come by for me and I had found a couple photomatches for the Shane Spencer jersey that dcrules had so I had told him about my "photomatch service".

3arod13 - I remember seeing a pair of Johnny Damon shower shoes about a year ago on eBay sell for like $120 so I thought that getting something as hard to find as shower sandles, and for the price of $12, it seemed pretty good to me. It's actually pretty neat:

Kyle, those are actually cool looking and not tacky. However, my only concern is, "game used?" What kind of games are they playing in the showers (lol).

Pretty cool item. Tony

Swoboda4
06-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Kyle,I picked on you enough so I'll calm down a bit. Everyone on the Forum brings different things to the table in helping each other. I clicked on your game used site and was extremely impressed with your photomatching. But let me ask you a question. If a thread came up questioning an item and the answer could easily be answered through photomatching,would you reply to the thread quickly,displaying the photo that solves the problem or would you say that you have the answer if anyone is interested? Because if everyone was compelled to provide a service/charge for their particular expertise,our motto would have to change from "Share the Knowledge" to "Pay for Knowldege". And then Kingjammy24 could retire within 6 months. But if that's what you want to do professionally,which is a different story,I respect that.

3arod13
06-07-2007, 11:04 AM
Kyle,I picked on you enough so I'll calm down a bit. Everyone on the Forum brings different things to the table in helping each other. I clicked on your game used site and was extremely impressed with your photomatching. But let me ask you a question. If a thread came up questioning an item and the answer could easily be answered through photomatching,would you reply to the thread quickly,displaying the photo that solves the problem or would you say that you have the answer if anyone is interested? Because if everyone was compelled to provide a service/charge for their particular expertise,our motto would have to change from "Share the Knowledge" to "Pay for Knowldege". And then Kingjammy24 could retire within 6 months. But if that's what you want to do professionally,which is a different story,I respect that.

I think intially someone would think that would be a good idea to make a few bucks on the side. However, in this forum, as Swoboda4 stated, many share info, photo's, etc. Juan was looking for a picture of arod hitting his first Grand Slam, and I directed him to MLB.COM where he could actually buy the video of arod hitting the GRDSLAM. I also found a photomatch for someone else. It was a pretty good feeling to help others, as many helped me. Actually, as many that have helped me in this forum, I just wouldn't feel right charging anyone for helping them.

Kyle, I'm not slamming you at all. It's actually a good idea for a money maker, but I think not in this forum. Heck, if I had to pay everyone for all the help I received here, I would be poor. Tony

CollectGU
06-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Considering that the photomatches often increase the value of the item, AND Kyle is willing to invest his time in doing it, I think charging a nominal fee is no big deal, and it seems that the person he helped was more than happy with the service, so I really don't see a problem with it.

Regards,
Dave

3arod13
06-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Considering that the photomatches often increase the value of the item, AND Kyle is willing to invest his time in doing it, I think charging a nominal fee is no big deal, and it seems that the person he helped was more than happy with the service, so I really don't see a problem with it.

Regards,
Dave

Agree, and I don't have a problem with it myself with someone doing it. However, I believe the comment was made in reference to this forum. Where would you draw the line what services users can provide for others to make money. As Swoboda stated, you would think it would have to modify/change rules for this forum.

Not against it at all. It was just a thought. Tony

Don't have a problem with it myself, but I thing

dcrules01
06-07-2007, 11:28 AM
He helped me photomatch this I had no problem paying.
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/Game%20Used/Spencer1.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/Game%20Used/pedrojersey050.jpg
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/metsjerseys/Game%20Used/pedrojersey048.jpg

3arod13
06-07-2007, 11:31 AM
He helped me photomatch this I had no problem paying.

Ok, no more comments from me on this issue. If the forum and those users don't see a problem, then neither do I.

suave1477
06-07-2007, 12:06 PM
I was reading this and completely understand everyones side.

This site should be kept as a free volunterring information to help each other out site.

But at the same time if a member here such as Kyle is willing to spend his time whether its an hours or a week to help another member out in photomatching. I don't think it is so bad to maybe toss him a couple of bucks or maybe looking out for him on an item some where down the line.

The actual reality of it, if he finds an exact photomatch for your item it will actually jump up the value of your item for resale and/or for your confidence in knowing it really is a Game Used item.

Small price to pay for confidence!!!

Jags Fan Dan
06-07-2007, 12:37 PM
I also can see both sides, as in "spirit of the forum" being to provide a free resource for general info about game used items. But what Kyle is doing is so specific to one item and does, as pointed out, increase the value of said item if he is successful (and he doesn't charge if he is unsuccessful), it is well worth it in my opinion.

Swoboda4
06-07-2007, 01:41 PM
I see Kyle's side clearer. If he spends an hour researching,and not just quickly weighing in on something,he positions himself to be compensated. But that opens the door for members who likewise go beyond just answering a topic and give answers at length. Rudy,who replys to everything with researched answers(who actually is the main reason "Exceptionally Educated Threads" came into being),and answers e-mails with the same precision,will now consider tonight whether any further primers on anything should be professionally offered. Why shouldn't he get compensated? But then the point may be moot because the Forum rules prohibit any messages...for the promotion of any...business,without approval.

sportscentury
06-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Kyle,

Good for you. I hope you can help out a lot of collectors, and make a huge bundle along the way.

I hope folks haven't forgotten about all of the helpful posts you've contributed to GUF over the last year or so, all without asking for a thing in return.

Reid